RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Death of CS200 cadence sensor.

My CS200 cadence sensor is having issues. After 18 months faultless operation it has stop working only return to life momently for a few seconds pre ride, then stopping again. The manual say it should have battery life of 3500 hours. Certainly haven't that time on the bike. Is possible to wear out the battery by leaving the magnet next to the sensor when the bike stationary?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Try replacing the battery. You may not have put 3500 hours on it, but you have no idea how long it sat on a shelf before you bought it.

Unsafe at Any Speed
    Oct 2005
    No, the sensor will (should) power down regardless of magnet position and only spring awake when there is movement.

Maybe the battery is weak. It has a finite shelf life, and could have been a dud to start with. I had the same issue with failure of a relatively new battery on my computer main board.

The symptoms sound like it. The battery recovers during the sensor's sleep time, then works fine initially until sustained use depletes it again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bought mine this past December, died last month, just got the repaired unit back. I assume it was the battery, battery in HRM died the week after the cadence sensor. Had the same issues you are having then it just quit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    One LBS provided me with a stronger wheel magnet showing me in the shop that the standard magnets could be too weak.

Sadly, I still had problems out on the road with intermittent readings and have an aversion to sealed chest straps and sealed wheel sensors that require absurd expense to either (a) replace with sealed units again or (b) replace with versions that will take batteries.

I bit the bullet and moved to a Cateye V3 that has equivalent functionality, replaceable battery items and neater rear wheel set up. Reviews out there mixed on reliability but the LBS who supplied my new 'summer' bike was adament they have found it good and so far, touch wood, it's all fine.