RoadBikeReview Member

Derailleur issues

Was riding yesterday in the big ring. I know not to cross chain but there was a short incline so I shifted into a lower rear cog. I have SRAM and clicked too far, which caused the chain to go into the lowest cog. The drivetrain froze up Ė cranks wouldnít spin.

I pulled over of course and saw that the jockey wheel or the other wheel (donít know what itís called) was up against the large cog. I could not shift out of anything. Tried shifting into a smaller cog with no results and tried shifting into the small ring with no results Ė meaning that the chain wouldnít budge. It was like the drivetrain seized. Took me a while and a mess all over my hands but I managed to manually move the chain into the small ring. I stayed in the small ring until I got back home not wanting to get stuck again or damage anything.

When I got back I inspected it some and now the problem is that when I put the chain in the big ring and it rolls over the jockey wheel in the rear derailleur it clicks over it. Meaning that the chain skips (and there is a tiny click) a very small amount over the wheel. Itís not a link because it happens before a full revolution of the chain. And the chain seems to be clear of the front derailleur.

Can anyone help with what that might be? I didnít see anything obvious.

And since I manually moved the chain from the big to the little ring manually will that cause any issues with the front derailleur? It seems to be performing OK but I didnít really test it out too much.

Thanks.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Was riding yesterday in the big ring. I know not to cross chain but there was a short incline so I shifted into a lower rear cog. I have SRAM and clicked too far, which caused the chain to go into the lowest cog. The drivetrain froze up Ė cranks wouldnít spin.
    Sounds like your chain is too short. If it is, you're lucky you didn't tear the deraileur off.

Derailer Adjustment
    If the chain is too short, it will be at risk for jamming and possibly ruining the rear derailer if you accidentally shift into the large-large combination. Never run with a chain that is too short, except in an emergency.

When I got back I inspected it some and now the problem is that when I put the chain in the big ring and it rolls over the jockey wheel in the rear derailleur it clicks over it. Meaning that the chain skips (and there is a tiny click) a very small amount over the wheel. Itís not a link because it happens before a full revolution of the chain. And the chain seems to be clear of the front derailleur.
    Did you check the teeth on the pully for damage?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Chain is too short. You'd better put a new, properly sized chain on before you have any more problems.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys.

I am so effin' mad!!! I bought a new chain, don't have a chain breaker or anything so went to a shop, they put it on and waved bye bye to me. Found that it was skipping a lot under pressure. Took it back they said I needed to replace the rear cluster (why not mention when I was there!?). OK, paid full retail and had them install. Then had them do a full cleaning of drivetrain (I needed a good cleaning because crap got deep in it and the chainrings and other parts needed to be removed) and then a tune up to set thigns right again. I forget what else but think I went in for something else related to all this. And the experience wasn't great either with a mechanic saying one thign, the shop owner saying another, etc. All they did was make fun of me a little for certain things and then apparently mess things up, complaining the whole time about the fact that I had SRAM. Man I'm angry. Eff it, I'm not going back - just going to let it go and take my business elsewhere. But man, I am angry about it (in case I haven't mentioned that yet).

Thanks again.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Did you check the teeth on the pully for damage?
    No, but I now will. Just need to cool down and prepare for what I find.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

complaining the whole time about the fact that I had SRAM.
    Thanks again.
    This is how I judge a mechanics ability. If they say that SRAM is more complicated or mention that it's harder to get in tune I'll ask when my usual guy will be back. I built my race bike myself and set up the entire drive train in an hour by reading the instructions and watching videos on youtube. If a wrench is too put out to learn how to correctly set up a drive train on bikes sold in their shop, I do not want them touching mine.

I use the small/small method for measuring a new chain.
    That's the longest I've ever ridden without a beer stop.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Anyone that complains about SRAM being difficult is seriously incompetent. Which is backed up by the fact(s) they cut your chain short and didn't test ride the bike to make sure the cassette wasn't worn too much to work w/ the new chain. Fail, fail, and fail.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Eff it, I'm not going back - just going to let it go and take my business elsewhere.
    Thanks again.
    I certainly understand your dissatisfaction. Perhaps after you cool down, it might still make sense to take it back to the shop in question. They owe you a correct-length chain (and repair any other damage that might have resulted), but perhaps more importantly the wrench at the shop can learn from his mistake as long as he's aware of the mistake.

-Ken