RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Di2 Downtube Rattle

Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the crosspost, but I'm looking for help.

I'm on my second 2013 TCR Advanced 0 after returning the first due to excessive and incredibly distracting amplified rattling from the downtube.

It seems a minor nit to pick, but it is almost maddening hearing this road texture clatter. If I'm riding on anything other than perfectly smooth road surface, the rattle is constant.

The LBS was incredibly awesome and swapped out for a new frame, but the new one has the same problem, if slightly diminished.

I've been led to understand it's the Di2 cabling / cable ties, but I promise you the 2012 that I test rode had no such rattle, nor does my wife's 2012 Avail Advanced 0 with the same Ultegra Di2.

I'd like to know 2 specific things, if there are those who've observed this problem.
    1. What is the loose piece that's rattling inside the downtube?
    2. How can I make it stop?

Thanks for any advice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Probably the junction box. You could always take out the fork and the BB and spray some expanding foam insulation down there. It wouldn't weigh anything and would be sure to stop anything rattling in there since it would completely fill the volume in the down tube if you spray enough in there.

Now if you want to get the junction box out at some point down the road it would make it a little tricky, of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo1 View Post
    Probably the junction box. You could always take out the fork and the BB and spray some expanding foam insulation down there.
    I suggested the same to the owner of the LBS who replied simply, "Please don't do that."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    longer anti rattle zip ties or more of them. spray foam seriously WTF unless you never want to service it

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    longer anti rattle zip ties or more of them.
    This. I believe there are only three anti rattle ties and I have found they need more like six or seven.

This stuff really needs to be wireless though...