Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I have to say...I have my first di2 bike en route (supppsedly with the latest fw) and you guys are seriously scaring me.
    How often are these fw updates done or needed?
    They're only "needed" if you want more features, or add newer devices to your Di2 that require newer firmware to talk to one another.

For example if you built a Di2 bike pre-synchro shift, and wanted synchro shifting. Or if you had a bike built but wanted to add a wireless module that has new firmware and requires newer firmware on the rest of the Di2 network.

Otherwise you can build a Di2 bike and forget about updating it basically.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread and posting your solution. I got a new bike with Di2, and had the same bricking of my battery happen to me. I just ordered the SM-PCE1 as my 3 closest LBS don't have the tool. I'm pretty confident that using the tool will solve my problem. So thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry your battery bricked too! But glad to hear my notes helped.

As I said in the previous post, the one trick to using the PCE1 is to make sure you don't choose "type of bike" but instead click on the icon of the di2 cable that's the one that allows you to write firmware directly to a single device. Hope you are able to resuscitate it. In my case the PCE1 worked successfully on two different bricked batteries: on the first one I had to try the firmware overwrite twice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Yup, I followed your instructions, and my battery was back up and running within 5 minutes. I also failed to update the firmware the first try. Worked perfectly the 2nd time. Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I upgraded to the new battery and BT module today so I could use the IOS APP to manage my Di2 and activate synchro shift which works really well.

However, as reported above the BT connection dropped whilst updating the firmware for the new battery. Thanks to the posts above I took the bike to my local bike shop who had a PCE1 and restored the firmware on my battery. It was a little bit of a fiddle and the mechanic ended up connecting the battery directly to the PCE1 as Etube would not recognise the battery whilst attached to the bike.

I have lost confidence in the APP for updates and will revert to the PC for updates. I may also invest in a PCE1 at some point.

I have been running Di2 for two years without issue and find it generally very reliable. However as with telescopes the software is generally poor and PC based. The APP seems better but they certainly have not got it right yet! The manuals also leave a little to be desired.

Still just went for a ride and very impressed with synchro shift on some of my local climbs. My thanks to Quest Bikes in Worthing for recovering the battery for me, one of the few work shops I tried who had a PCE1. Cant believe what Shimano charge for a PCE1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Peirce View Post
    the mechanic ended up connecting the battery directly to the PCE1 as Etube would not recognise the battery whilst attached to the bike.

I have lost confidence in the APP for updates and will revert to the PC for updates. I may also invest in a PCE1 at some point.
    Just to underscore a key point here: if your battery is bricked, the eTube app connected through the junction will not work. This holds true regardless of whether you connect through a bluetooth connection with the iOS app, or through a USB connection on a PC.

Once the battery is bricked, the PCE1 is the ONLY option, as it allows you to connect directly to the battery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    G'day, I just joined up to give thanks to the posters in this thread so, Thanks!

I've not long got back in to cycling and figured I'd treat myself to the new fandangled ultegra di2 on a Specialized Roubaix. My last bike was terribly uncomfortable so I've gone the opposite direction but still wanted some speed.

Anyway, I went and bought the EW-WU111 module, I knew of some horror stories so I tried to be careful but once it got to updating the battery, same story as was told earlier, very slow, not getting anywhere after 61 percent, figured it's not going anywhere so shut it down, deleted the app and started again, same thing, then I did it again, this time I get success but still no gears, no lights, nada, by this time I'm convinced that I've got to take my bike to the shop, very inconvenient, I then happened to notice something that said unpair from my phone so I did and luckily I saw the lights flash and voila everything was working.

So basically saved myself a trek to the shop by simply unpairing from my phone. Hope this helps someone else who will inevitably go through the same thing. I'm just an old guy trying out new things. Love my bike and the Di2. All the best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    OldManRouba

Thats good to know, if I get stuck again I will try that before heading back to the bike shop! My battery was defiantly bricked and I will use the laptop to update the battery in future but it is nice being able to see the system on your iPad and make adjustments. Was also well with the upgrade just for synchro shift! Enjoy the Roubaix, very nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    There was this very useful post on BikeForums.net posted by TimH

"Never use a wireless connection to update firmware for the wireless unit itself.

In general, updating firmware on any device via a wireless connection is not a good idea and particularly problematic when updating firmware on wireless devices such as the EW-WU111 itself.

Firmware updates on any device require the device to be rebooted. Rebooting the wireless unit interrupts wireless communication to the unit and so the final part of the update cannot complete. A wired connection is much more reliable for reestablishing connection to a device which is rebooted. Always use a wired connection for updating wireless unit firmware. "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Just as others had happen, I tried updating my XTR Di2 on my CX bike with the iOS eTube app via my iPhone. Sure enough it bricked the BT-DN110 battery. Since I have several Di2 bikes I went ahead and ordered the SM-PCE1. I was familiar with the E-Tube app on Windows which I run on my Mac via BootCamp. I had previously used it with the Di2 USB charger without issue. However as noted it won't work to fix a bricked battery. SM-PCE1 to the rescue. Takes a few iterations of the eTube app trying to recognize the bricked battery before it reinstalls the known good firmware. Problem solved. Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I will no longer use the iOS E-Tube app and stick to the SM-PCE1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I updated a 2014 Ultegra 6870 di2 setup by adding the BM-DN100 External Battery Mount, and the EW-WU111 Wireless Unit and got stuck in a couple of places that have been described here and thought this might help.
    I downloaded the E-Tube app to my Android phone. It connected via bluetooth and immediately started to update the firmware, but then got disconnected, and I couldn't reconnect, no matter how many times I uninstalled then reinstalled the app and bluetooth pairing. I started to despair - it was the middle of the night and I wanted to ride in the morning, and there was no way to get the PC software.
    On a whim, I grabbed an Android tablet and downloaded E-Tube, took out and reinserted the battery on the bike, then paired with the tablet. The app started to update the firmware of all of the components, until it got to the battery holder, which was stuck at 55% for about 30 minutes. I closed the app and of course, nothing worked, and I couldn't reconnect, even taking out the battery, charging it, putting it back in...
    As a last resort, I disconnected the bluetooth pairing with the tablet, and fired up the application on the Phone. It connected, the app started, and it said the firmware was corrupt and would be reinstalled and not to disconnect. It installed the new firmware and then I was able to proceed and setup synchroshifting.
    So you might be able to avoid having to plug it in if you use 2 or more devices and switch devices when you get stuck/bricked.
    YMMV. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12