Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Di2 Firmware Ė how long to update/overwrite battery firmware

After participating in some recent threads about the current synchro offerings, I decided to update the firmware on my Di2 and I seem to have met with disaster.

Background: my system has worked flawlessly for almost 3 years and multiple firmware updates. I updated over the summer, so most of my components weren't that far out of date. I have: 6870 shifters, FD, and RD, 110dn battery, and the SCMT800 junction (which has bluetooth). I'm doing all of this on the iPad Etube app, running the last software.

Story: It connected fine and updated the firmware on all components except the battery. Those 4 components took maybe 5-10 minutes total to update. Then it went to the battery and sat on 0% for at least 15-20 minutes. I finally quit the app, and at that point I realized that everything was dead: no light on junction, no power to any components. Unplugging and replugging everything did no good. I plugged in the charger to the port on the MT800 and it did not light up.

So I got out my backup 110dn battery. Connected it (and only it) to the MT800 and the junction worked fine. The battery would also charge when I connected the charger. So I launched the eTube app and it immediately started to overwrite the firmware on this 2nd battery. After 15 minutes it seemed to be half way through. After 15 more minutes it hadn't moved from that halfway mark.

Again, I quit the app and again the junction seemed dead. This time I relaunched the app with the 2nd battery still connected to the junction, and it started to overwrite the firmware.

Questions:
    1. How long should I wait?
    2. If it doesn't succeed, what other options do I have?

Note: I do NOT have access to a PC at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I have been reading of a lot of folks that have bricked the system while attempting updates via BT and the tablet/phone apps. Iíve read the fix is hardwired from the PC app with a system reinstall. And that sometimes you have to try it a few times.

Marc and kop89 reported it here;

EW-WU111/BT-DN110/EW-RS910 cannot get into Bluetooth mode - Help!
    Last edited by Steve B.; 01-11-2018 at 05:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I have been reading of a lot of folks that have bricked the system while attempting updates via BT and the tablet/phone apps. Iíve read the fix is hardwired from the PC app with a system reinstall. And that sometimes you have to try it a few times.

Marc and kop89 reported it here;

EW-WU111/BT-DN110/EW-RS910 cannot get into Bluetooth mode - Help!
    I was afraid that the PC answer might be the only solution.

Currently I'm 50 minutes into my second "overwrite." The progress bar has now gotten to about 65%, a good bit past the point where I abandoned it the last time.

Will report back one way or another.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    I was afraid that the PC answer might be the only solution.

Currently I'm 50 minutes into my second "overwrite." The progress bar has now gotten to about 65%, a good bit past the point where I abandoned it the last time.

Will report back one way or another.

Shouldn't take that long IME. But I cannot vouch for every system everywhere.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Shouldn't take that long IME. But I cannot vouch for every system everywhere.
    That was my sense as well, which is why I disconnected it the first time.

It's now been running for four hours, which seems ridiculously, impossibly long. But for what it's worth, the progress bar is still inching forward. I'm going to leave it running overnight, at of experimental curiosity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    That was my sense as well, which is why I disconnected it the first time.

It's now been running for four hours, which seems ridiculously, impossibly long. But for what it's worth, the progress bar is still inching forward. I'm going to leave it running overnight, at of experimental curiosity.
    I will leave it overnight also just to see what happen!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Update: the iOS app ran for 6 hours and was still showing tiny forward movements of the profess bar. But this morning when I checked it all I got was an error message and a bricked battery.

Iím now trying to install boot camp and windows 10 on my Mac, but Apple and Shimano seem to be on the same page: the brand new high Sierra OS doesnít seem to want to let the boot camp assistant partition my drive.

So now I have a nonfunctional bike and a nonfunctional computer.
    Last edited by fronesis; 01-12-2018 at 09:53 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Why do you need Windows on your Mac?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
    Why do you need Windows on your Mac?
    Your reply makes me wonder if I wasn't clear in my original post.

I have two COMPLETELY BRICKED batteries. Unplugging them and replugging them does not work. My system is completely dead.

I installed Windows on my Mac as a last ditch effort to salvage the situation.

But that seems not to have worked.

The battery is NOT recognized in the eTube app on Windows. I've tried it a dozen different times.

If I hook the system up to my complete bike, it recognizes the SCMT800 junction and the two shifters, but it doesn't recogize anything connected to junction B (the FD, the RD, and the battery).

If I hook it up to a separate junction A I have (for troubleshooting) it will recognize the junction. But if I connect my second backup battery to that junction, it will never recognize the battery.

Since neither battery will power the system, I can't use the bluetooth connection again: the SCMT800 won't light up and can't be put into connecting mode.

I guess my only option is to buy a new battery (but how do I know I won't just brick that too when I try to update its firmware) or see if a shop with the PCE1. I could also buy a PCE1 but those things are ridiculously expensive!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Sorry I did not know that there is an e-tube app on Windows.
    (I only use the e-tube app on my iphone/ ipad)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    HELP...

So I'm now running Windows 10, and I'm the proud ownder of a Shimano PCE1.

eTube recognizes the PCE1, but when I connect it to either battery it does not recogize it.

I tried to "manually create a settings file" to write it to the battery, but when I try to write the system says it can't recognize an attached device.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    It sounds like the same issue killed both batteries but itís unclear why.

If you canít even see the batteries in ETube then I think youíre SOL...I donít know how you can restore them if you canít even see them.

It sounds like from this, my own experience and that of others like the firmware update script Shimano uses is not very robust. There are too many firmware update failures discussed in forums.

Sorry I donít have more for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Another update -- with some success

Here's how to resurrect a bricked BT110 Shimano battery:

1. Install the Windows 10 eTube app.

2. Purchase the SM-PCE1 "PC linkage device."

3. After you launch the eTube app, DO NOT choose your bike type. Instead, click on the icon of the Di2 cable. (If you choose your bike type it will ask you to connect "to the bike" and this will fail to read the battery just as it does with the SM-BCR or with the iOS app.)

4. This will allow you to connect the PCE1 directly to your battery. It will try to recognize the battery, fail, and then ask you if if it's a battery that's connected.

5. Say yes, and then it will try to overwrite new firmware. Note: it may fail the first time.

It takes less than a minute to overwrite the firmware. Once it does so successfully, your battery is restored with the newest firmware.

I agree with IvanK: Shimano has written a lousy script to update firmware, and if it fails on your battery you are basically out of luck. Both the iOS connection and the computer connection through the BCR require a properly functioning battery, since that's the brains of the system. Once the battery is bricked, the only option is the above one.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that Shimano charges $150-$200 for the PCE1. Ridiculous!

One can only hope they fix whatever the broke: i had done a half dozen firmware upgrades through the iOS etube app, and they'd all be fine. This one cost me about 5 hours and $160.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks Fronesis.

This is almost certainly going to help someone.

Another page added to the di2 trouble-shooting manual.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    A thanks for the updates.

An option for the bricked battery and if you KNOW it's a bricked battery is remove battery and take to your friendly LBS that has the SM-PCE1 and have them diagnose and re-flash the firmware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    A thanks for the updates.

An option for the bricked battery and if you KNOW it's a bricked battery is remove battery and take to your friendly LBS that has the SM-PCE1 and have them diagnose and re-flash the firmware.
    Absolutely an option for some.

But for me, and maybe some others, the friendly LBS is not at all interested in Di2 issues Ė would rather tell you why you should have been riding mechanical in the first place (which sounds about right to me at the moment).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Iím new to DI2 and updated the components via I-Phone. I had some difficulty when E-Tube tried to update the battery but I got through it. So now after reading this Iím wondering if there is any reason to update in the future? This is assuming everything is working correctly.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Absolutely an option for some.

But for me, and maybe some others, the friendly LBS is not at all interested in Di2 issues Ė would rather tell you why you should have been riding mechanical in the first place (which sounds about right to me at the moment).
    Yea, none of the LBS around here even own a PCE1...including my shop that has bespoke built half a dozen Di2 bikes. You can often find the PCE1 on Amazon for $130. Handy tool and has saved my but a few times. But the cost is silly.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Well, Tuesday my group arrives and I start installing.

This is making me SO confident !, LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Well, Tuesday my group arrives and I start installing.

This is making me SO confident !, LOL.
    I have Di2 for 2 months (R9170) and made several updates etc.....with my iPhone/iPad and never had a problem....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
    I have Di2 for 2 months (R9170) and made several updates etc.....with my iPhone/iPad and never had a problem....
    FWIW, I've had Di2 for almost 3 years and I'd done a bunch of updates on the iPad with no problem.

I'm not sure why this one was different, but I was running the newest app on a new ipad pro. I hadn't updated in about 5 months so all the components were out of date; it updated everything else (junction, shifters, and both derailleurs) just fine, and then it went to do the battery last and it just stuck on 0%. Maybe I acted too quickly and should have just waited for it to finish. But once I quit the app, the whole system was dead because the battery wasn't doing anything. This meant I had no power to the junction and to the wireless, so I couldn't access anything.

I guess my one takeaway is this: if the battery update is taking a while, be patient. And if it fails, let it try again while the iOS device is still connected to the system. If the battery firmware fails and you get disconnected, then you're out of luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have to say...I have my first di2 bike en route (supppsedly with the latest fw) and you guys are seriously scaring me.
    How often are these fw updates done or needed?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I installed an 8050 upgrade yesterday- shifters, F & R derailers, internal battery, WiFi, cables and junctions.

1st thing the iPhone app did, no choice, was to update the WiFi unit. Then it gave me options to update all or one-by-one, which is how I did it, including battery (last). It took all of 10 minutes, maybe less and went well.

So that part good to go. The app is seemingly missing stuff, and the F shifter isn't doing what I want, but that's another post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I have to say...I have my first di2 bike en route (supppsedly with the latest fw) and you guys are seriously scaring me.
    How often are these fw updates done or needed?
    You'll probably have to update the firmware on the wireless unit whenever Shimano releases one (not sure about the frequency). Everything else, I'm not sure you'll ever need to update if you're happy about how they work and don't feel the need to change anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel242 View Post
    You'll probably have to update the firmware on the wireless unit whenever Shimano releases one (not sure about the frequency). Everything else, I'm not sure you'll ever need to update if you're happy about how they work and don't feel the need to change anything.
    Great, thank you.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast