RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

DI2 Rear Der set to +13

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL4 with Ultegra 6870. I bought the frame on eBay and built it up. The rear derailleur needs to be adjusted to +13 to shift properly. Does this seems strange?

Thank you!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yes. Being used, did you put an RD hanger alignment tool on it?

FWIW...it has been seen before that brands ship wrongly-machined RD outside-tolerance hangers for Di2. One fellow on Bike Forums, with a new Merckx, documented his needing to mill off 3.0mm (!!!) off brand new straight RD hangers to even get Di2 to work right.

Whole thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ent-issue.html

Specifically this post:

https://www.bikeforums.net/19511634-post42.html
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The hanger that it came with looked a little beat up. I replaced it with a new Wheels MFG hanger. I adjusted it with the Park Tools DAG 2.2

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    The hanger that it came with looked a little beat up. I replaced it with a new Wheels MFG hanger. I adjusted it with the Park Tools DAG 2.2
    I'm guessing you made sure about any spacers you may/not need for your crankset for proper chainline? If you got it to work, following the Dealer's Manual instructions that is the important thing. Still odd, but RD hanger tolerance isn't necessarily that high in spec.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It would be hard to imagine that something that's as mass-produced as a Speciailized could be off far enough that you have to max out the adjustment. You're positive the hanger is aligned correctly and the high limit is adjusted properly?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The frame would have been originally built up with an FSA crank and either an FSA or a specialized bottom bracket. I replaced the bottom bracket with the wheels manufacturing conversion bottom bracket, and the crank with Ultegra 6870. I didnít use any spacers. Is it possible that my chain line is off? How do I check or measure that?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I wouldn't be worrying about the crank/bb at all. That's not going to change what's happening at the rear derailleur.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I have a Specialized Tarmac SL4 with Ultegra 6870. I bought the frame on eBay and built it up. The rear derailleur needs to be adjusted to +13 to shift properly. Does this seems strange?

Thank you!
    I've had two specialized tarmac's exactly like that. The first one was a SL4 that I purchased new and converted to Di2. The rear derailleur was set to +13 and I figured it was something with the frame or the hanger.

I then purchased a SL5 tarmac and moved the DI2 groupset over to the new bike. To my surprise, it needed the exact same amount of adjustment - +13.

The other thing I've noticed on both frames is that shifting to or from "19" on the 12-25 cassette is sometimes sticky. It's strange because it's the only gear I have problems with out of the whole cassette. I even bought a new casette and it has the same issue. Different wheels don't seem to make the problem any better or worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shoerhino View Post
    I've had two specialized tarmac's exactly like that. The first one was a SL4 that I purchased new and converted to Di2. The rear derailleur was set to +13 and I figured it was something with the frame or the hanger.

I then purchased a SL5 tarmac and moved the DI2 groupset over to the new bike. To my surprise, it needed the exact same amount of adjustment - +13.

The other thing I've noticed on both frames is that shifting to or from "19" on the 12-25 cassette is sometimes sticky. It's strange because it's the only gear I have problems with out of the whole cassette. I even bought a new casette and it has the same issue. Different wheels don't seem to make the problem any better or worse.
    Thanks for that info. I always wonder if others have the same experience.

I also find that one of my cogs is a little funky. I'm not sure if it sticks shifting into it, or if it shifts too far and then shifts back. It's somewhere near the middle, and it's sporadic. Maybe once per ride.