RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Difference between Veloce and Centaur rear Derailleur

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the only difference is that Centaur has holes drilled in the plate and pulleys to drop 7g. And comes in the red hardware option. Doesn't seem worth the $30 to me...

CENTAUR™ 10 Speed Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling

VELOCE™ Rear Derailleur 10 Speed - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jslip View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the only difference is that Centaur has holes drilled in the plate and pulleys to drop 7g. And comes in the red hardware option. Doesn't seem worth the $30 to me...

CENTAUR™ 10 Speed Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling

VELOCE™ Rear Derailleur 10 Speed - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling
    It's more than just holes and pulleys. The geometry is different, cage length, etc. The best is to look at the exploded diagrams here: http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...RT_A-03-12.pdf

As you can see, the difference is all in the cage and rollers. All others share the same part numbers. Further, the Centaur has more in common with Chorus as far as cage and rollers go.

Whether all these translate to performance difference, I don't know. For the newer designs I only have Record 11, plus 2008 Veloce 10, plus 2003 Chorus 10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    OJ, are you sure about those geometry differences? I really didn't think the geometry was any difference, just the pulleys (hollow on Centaur) and some holes drilled. I thought Centaur and Veloce were a like for like swap.

As far as I can see, there's only one 10s rear derailleur manual,
    The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling - Technical documentation, & the Campag website blurb for both says 55 mm cage, "parallelogram with 11s geometry" ... whatever the hell that means.

So I think the OP is right - there are better pulleys, and a few holes in the cage plate, at least as far as I can see?

@OP, I am skeptical that any rear derailleur will change your shifting performance, as long as it's not worn out. It's just a way of moving pulleys across the cassette. I'm also skeptical about Centaur's quieter pulleys. Pulley noise it not something I normally notice! But then, I'm skeptical about most things

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    So plate is a little different and bolted on, rather than clipped, and the pulleys are a little blingier. Thanks all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jslip View Post

The Centaur uses the Record/Chorus bolt to attach the lower cage. Veloce uses the stud and C-clip arrangement used for lower end derailleurs which makes it harder to disassemble the derailleur for cleaning and easier to loose the small parts which aren't sold separately.

The larger pulleys might run quieter too.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    On the old style derailleurs Centaur was kind of a Chorus/Veloce hybrid. It was definitely different than Veloce. I have no experience with newer versions. Good luck on the quest.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
    The larger pulleys might run quieter too.
    I would tend to question that. I ran 2005 Centaur for several years and I didn't notice any particular noise that I would associate with the idlers. In a sound chamber, yes, you might be able to actually measure a difference. However, real life involves other drivetrain noises, tire noises, ambient noises, etc. that would likely mask anything from the idlers.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals