RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Diffrence between look keo composit and carbon

Was wondering if anyone knew of the diffrence between the keo composit and carbon other than weight. I was mainly wondering about durability. I have always used the carbon but have noticed the composit is about $40 cheaper. Other than material used they seem identical. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I think composite is another word for plastic. I've had several pedals made out of composite with no problems. My main problems with pedals have always been with the bearings. I imagine the main diff between composite and carbon pedals is like you said weight, as long as they both use the same bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A lot of "Composite" stuff is Fiber Reinforced Plastic, or FRP. the Plastic will be Nylon or ABS, usally with some chopped glass to re-inforce it. Up sides are that it is stronger and stiffer than plan ABS or nylon, can be injection-molded, and is cheap. Down side is weight, and maybe a little less strong.

Funny, though, carbon fiber is also a FRP. But the "plastic" is a high grade resin, and the Fiber is Carbon.
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I believe the carbon pedals have two sealed bearings vs one sealed bearing and one needle bearing in the composite. The stack height may also be higher on the composite pedal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    about $80
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION