a real member's member

Question do you wrap bars differently for barcons?

i have never built up a bike with bar end shifters. every time i've bought a bike with barcons, i have always parted them out to offset the cost of the flip. (they're always easy to sell for $40.) but i'm rebuilding a vintage follis for a friend with suntour barcons. he wants to use cotton tape.

do you wrap bars differently for barcons?

the way i usually wrap:
    1. start at the bar end.
    2. wrap inside-out.
    3. do a figure 8 around the lever.*
    4. finish at the top with 10mm wide electrical tape or embroidery thread.

* except with cotton tape, i don't do a figure 8. it's too thin and folds on itself. instead, i use the little piece of extra cloth tape to hide the brake lever clamp.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

I don't do anything different except that I don't push the tape in the end of the bar; no room for it. Maybe room for you as cotton tape is thin.

Oh yeah, I run the shifter cables all the way under the tape. Shifts great with modern lined shifter cables. Much cleaner and the cables don't get in the way. I bought some bulk SP41 housing and used a tandem shifter cable (not sure I needed that for the extra length or not). Used SP41 grease to lube the cables.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 06-10-2018 at 01:38 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i have never built up a bike with bar end shifters. every time i've bought a bike with barcons, i have always parted them out to offset the cost of the flip. (they're always easy to sell for $40.) but i'm rebuilding a vintage follis for a friend with suntour barcons. he wants to use cotton tape.

the way i usually wrap:
    1. start at the bar end.
    2. wrap inside-out.
    3. do a figure 8 around the lever.*
    4. finish at the top with 10mm wide electrical tape or embroidery thread.

* except with cotton tape, i don't do a figure 8. it's too thin and folds on itself. instead, i use the little piece of extra cloth tape to hide the brake lever clamp.
    That works for me
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

a real member's member
    thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I run the shifter cables all the way under the tape.
    do you have a pic of that?

and do you run into any problems with loose tape at the bar end (because the barcons prevent the tape inside the bar end)?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    here's the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    thanks for the replies.

do you have a pic of that?

and do you run into any problems with loose tape at the bar end (because the barcons prevent the tape inside the bar end)?

I haven't had the tape come loose. I wrap it really tight to start and use a piece of electrical tape to the bar at the end of tape for good measure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been able to tuck bar tape into the end of the bars while using bar end shifters. It's a bit tight and you have to be careful with the amount of tape that gets tucked in but with cotton tape it shouldn't be to hard.

I also run the cable all the way under the tape, much neater. Also, have you tried, with exposed brake cables, to secure the brake cable bands to the bars with electrical tape before taping the bars? You can then tape over the clamps and then mount the brake levers, on top of the handlebar tape, to the clamps. Very clean appearance with no gaps or bulges where the tape would other wise be getting wrapped over the brake levers and under the hoods.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    have you tried, with exposed brake cables, to secure the brake cable bands to the bars with electrical tape before taping the bars?
    can you clarify this? i don't know what you mean by "bands." the follis will get non-aero levers. and thanks for the reply.

a real member's member
    I run the shifter cables all the way under the tape. Shifts great with modern lined shifter cables.
    you're talking brake housing, right?

would derailleur housing work better or worse when running it under the length of the tape from barcons? i would just assume brake housing would flex more and allow smoother shifting with these suntour friction shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    you're talking brake housing, right?

would derailleur housing work better or worse when running it under the length of the tape from barcons? i would just assume brake housing would flex more and allow smoother shifting with these suntour friction shifters.
    I'm using shifter cable housing. 10 speed indexed. Shifts great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    can you clarify this? i don't know what you mean by "bands." the follis will get non-aero levers. and thanks for the reply.
    The clamping bands.

Mount the brake levers, secure the banded clamps to the bars with tape or sum such and remove the levers leaving only the clamping bands. Wrap the bars leaving nothing but the nutted portion of the clamp exposed and replace the levers on top of the tape and tighten down.

From Velo Orange

Wrapping Non-Aero Brake Levers
    The clamp and body of non-aero brake levers are much smaller than their aero counterparts. Being able to see the clamp through your new bar tape is unsightly and detracts from the appearance. When you've set up the position of the levers, put some scotch tape on the clamp to hold it in place. Unscrew the body from the clamp. The clamp should stay in place by the tape. Wrap around the clamp and screw the body back on. Voila! No embarrassing clamp is visible through your wrap.

do you wrap bars differently for barcons?-bar-tape.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    ^ thanks. ok, i see what you're saying now. i tried that once before on a bike. i can't remember the particulars, but i never did it again. maybe, though, it would help me when i use cotton tape for a customer. i never use cotton tape, myself, so my experience with it is limited.

I'm using shifter cable housing. 10 speed indexed. Shifts great.
    thanks. that detail helps.

@velodog, do you also use derailleur housing when taping barcon cable the length of the bars?

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^ thanks. ok, i see what you're saying now. i tried that once before on a bike. i can't remember the particulars, but i never did it again. maybe, though, it would help me when i use cotton tape for a customer. i never use cotton tape, myself, so my experience with it is limited.

thanks. that detail helps.

@velodog, do you also use derailleur housing when taping barcon cable the length of the bars?
    yes, modern shift cables.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    that was a first for me. it was fun.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Looks good!
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

a real member's member
    thanks!