RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Domane SLR Disc lower gearing(38)

2017Trek Domane disk SLR with 6800 Ultegra group set,currently has GS medium cage rear derailer with 11-32 rear cassette.... need to get to a 38 tooth rear cassette, any suggestions or experience setting up 6800 for low gearing?....thinking of trying mountain bike derailer,road link???? For off road use.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabkr View Post
    2017Trek Domane disk SLR with 6800 Ultegra group set,currently has GS medium cage rear derailer with 11-32 rear cassette.... need to get to a 38 tooth rear cassette, any suggestions or experience setting up 6800 for low gearing?....thinking of trying mountain bike derailer,road link???? For off road use.
    Have you ever seen a 38t cassette? I haven't...

Even if you were to find this non-existent cassette Shimano mtb derailleurs don't work w/ Shimano road shifters. The road link works ok, it sacrifices shifting performance at the small cogs to clear a bigger large cog. But...it doesn't make your pulley cage any longer and you'll need to wrap more chain somehow if you're adding 6 teeth to your cassette (which won't happen cuz it doesn't exist). You can get a new Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur that will work w/ a 34, and you might be able to get it to work w/ a 36, which does exist.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Have you ever seen a 38t cassette? I haven't...

Even if you were to find this non-existent cassette Shimano mtb derailleurs don't work w/ Shimano road shifters. The road link works ok, it sacrifices shifting performance at the small cogs to clear a bigger large cog. But...it doesn't make your pulley cage any longer and you'll need to wrap more chain somehow if you're adding 6 teeth to your cassette (which won't happen cuz it doesn't exist). You can get a new Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur that will work w/ a 34, and you might be able to get it to work w/ a 36, which does exist.
    Will a 6800 shifter work with an 8000 derailleur?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Will a 6800 shifter work with an 8000 derailleur?
    Yep!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am using a road link on my Domane SLR disc with 6870 Di2 GS RD and SRAM 11-36 cassette. Shifting is good but a little noiser than with a Shimano cassette. So a 6800 GS RD will work with a road link and 11-36.

Quote Originally Posted by jmess View Post
    I am using a road link on my Domane SLR disc with 6870 Di2 GS RD and SRAM 11-36 cassette. Shifting is good but a little noiser than with a Shimano cassette. So a 6800 GS RD will work with a road link and 11-36.
    The road link allows the upper pulley to clear the cog, it doesn't make the cage any longer. A 36 is 4 teeth over the wrap capacity of the 6800GS. No problems going big/big? Just because you put what is basically an extender on the derailleur hanger and you can shift into the large cog doesn't mean 'it works'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The road link allows the upper pulley to clear the cog, it doesn't make the cage any longer. A 36 is 4 teeth over the wrap capacity of the 6800GS. No problems going big/big? Just because you put what is basically an extender on the derailleur hanger and you can shift into the large cog doesn't mean 'it works'.
    I'm guessing you could size the chain more slack to prevent catastrophe in the big/big combo. It would work, but poorly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    the Wolftooth Tapan might be worth an investigation:
    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/tanpan

Basically, it's a device that will match the pull ratio of Shimano road shifters to shimano mtb derailleur.

I'm using the 10 speed version to match up a Dura Ace 7900 shifter to a 10 speed Shawdow M986 derailleur. Shifting is "almost" as nice as with a Dura ace derailleur. I said "almost" because sometimes I would need to do a double-shift and back down a shift for the chain to go into the right cog, but most of the time, it will work very acceptably. I have no experience with the 11 speed road shifters with 11 speed mtb derailleur, so you might want to do some investigation, maybe email Wolftooth support for their opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whenever I've set up derailleurs past their rap capacity I use just enough chain for big/big and let it go slack in small/small. And then I avoid both while riding. But that set up avoids breaking anything.

My old MTB has always had a short cage with a triple front and 11-28 rear. It has never been a problem.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently have a Domane that I converted from exactly what you originally had except it is or was a 105. (GS deraillerur.) However, I used an 11 speed 11-40t Shimano XT 8000 cassette with a Wolftooth road link. It works well. Another option that others have had better success with is using a Wolftooth tanpan with the derailler matched to the XT 8000 cassette. It only takes 30 minutes for an experienced person to make the conversion. Although I'm happy with what I have I would recommend the latter choice over the former.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all of your help on this,any other Tanpan users out there using 11 speed Shimano?

Tourist
    People here focus on the rear end, but how about a smaller crankset? What crankset are you running? If a compact like 34-50 or 36-52, switch to a smaller crankset? Some companies make 30-46.