Daily Commuter

Drivetrain dilema please help

I currently have a monstercross bike with a bit of a hybrid drivetrain that works but not really well. I have Campy 10spd shifters shifting Shimano 9spd using a Jtek shiftmate #2. The 9 speed system is fairly new Deore RD and FD with a Deore crankset using just the two outer rings 32/44. The main problem is going up and down the cassette I will sometimes get an extra gear and then it rolls back to where it belongs. I think this has a lot to do with the way the Jtek roller just butts up to the R Der. and adds and subtracts about 1mm of cable depending on the angle of the R Der. as it goes from small to large cogs.

All of this 9spd Deore stuff works well for me with regards to high and low gears and I really like the 32/44 gearing in the front for the type of terrain I have in my area and where I ride the bike. So I am trying to decide whether to replace the Campy shifters with either 9spd bar end shifters which should work perfectly or to maybe get some Sora 9spd shifters. I am worried the Sora may not work well with the Deore FD and I will have to buy a road model FD to replace the Deore. Then I may have problems with the road FD working well with the smaller chain rings and possibly the chain line that is a little bit wider than a typical road crankset.

I would much prefer something like the Sora shifters but I don't want to throw any more money at this than the shifters and maybe a front der. as the Deore parts aren't that old and I like the crankset and the ability of the rear der. to work with larger cassettes.

Any suggestions for improvement without dumping the whole drivetrain and starting all over?

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as I know, 2x9 Shimano road shifters (Sora) are compatible with 2x9 mountain derailleurs (Deore). You shouldn't have a problem as the shift ratios are the same.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    On a gravel bike, I rather have the shifters on the hoods and not on bar ends. I'd never be able to accurately shift the BES.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    On a gravel bike, I rather have the shifters on the hoods and not on bar ends. I'd never be able to accurately shift the BES.
    I never quite understood the reason some touring bikes come with bar end shifters. I can only guess cost control as well as ease of being able to repair "on the fly" or get replacement parts in a foreign country without getting gouged.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Daily Commuter
    The biggest reason I am considering the bar end shifters is that I know the front will work perfectly since it is all friction. I am confident the Sora rear shifter will work well with the 9spd deore but I think I may run into issues on the front der. with the Sora.

I am also concerned about being able to shift effectively on rough terrain with bar end shifters as duriel mentioned above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
    The biggest reason I am considering the bar end shifters is that I know the front will work perfectly since it is all friction. I am confident the Sora rear shifter will work well with the 9spd deore but I think I may run into issues on the front der. with the Sora.
    I don't think you will. They are the same actuation ratio. And even if there were a problem, a Sora FD is cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I never quite understood the reason some touring bikes come with bar end shifters. I can only guess cost control as well as ease of being able to repair "on the fly" or get replacement parts in a foreign country without getting gouged.
    Friction front shifter works with about any crank amd chainring combo, which offers some better combos for touring. Reliable as needed, as there’s a friction mode if your rear derailer gets whacked.

Daily Commuter
    Interestingly, I was browsing the net and stumbled upon a Salsa Vaya with Deore. Further research I determined Salsa sold that bike with Sora shifters, Deore RD, and Apex FD w/SRAM crank. This does make me feel a little bit more comfortable that I may get lucky and the Sora shifter would work with a Deore FD and crankset.

Oddly though if you look at the directions for a Sora FD they ship it with a special cable angle gauge and depending on which side of the line the cable falls on determines whether you use the special converter on or off. That is some seriously messed up crap. Did they make that derailleur that poorly that they need to route the cable different ways depending on the angle of the cable from the bottom bracket?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think you should be greatful they decided to give you that option.
    BANNED