RoadBikeReview Member

Dumonde Tech Chain Lube - Ever heard of it?

While lurking around on another roadie forum I came across opinons about my fav chain lube - Pro Link (versus Boeshield and WL). But as I read on there was much more positive feedback about a chain lube called Dumonde Tech - has anyone hear of / used this lube and have some feedback related to either road or mtb use (e.g. dusty and/or wet)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommasini
    While lurking around on another roadie forum I came across opinons about my fav chain lube - Pro Link (versus Boeshield and WL). But as I read on there was much more positive feedback about a chain lube called Dumonde Tech - has anyone hear of / used this lube and have some feedback related to either road or mtb use (e.g. dusty and/or wet)

We use it at the shop I work at. It smells terrible, but it works quite well. I don't ride in dusty conditions, I don't ride when it's raining, and I pretty much keep my drivetrain clean. So I can't really tell you much about it except that it works as good as any other lube.

If you buy it, there are two versions... one that looks a deep blue green color, and one that is more yellowish. They are the same thing, but the darker colored one is more concentrated and the lighter one is cut with something to dilute it. I use the dilute version, but if you could figure out what they cut it with, buy the concentrated version and cut it yourself. Sorry, but that's all the help I can be on this one.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member

It's OK for a boutique lube

I've used both the blue ("wet") and yellow ("dry") before. Both are fine. The blue formula is a bit better in wet weather, though neither of them hold up particularly well in truly wet conditions, and if you go for a wet ride with either you'll want to clean your chain soon thereafter. They don't work much better as lubes than ProLink, and are a little bit more of a hassle.

If you want to try a "new" lube, you should try a 3:1 mixture of odorless mineral spirits and motor oil. Works much like ProLink but is much, much cheaper.

Trent in not-so-soggy Washington
    Just a tourist

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent in WA
    If you want to try a "new" lube, you should try a 3:1 mixture of odorless mineral spirits and motor oil. Works much like ProLink but is much, much cheaper.

I've been using a 50:50 mix of mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil for a couple of years and I couldn't be happier. I gave a bottle to a lady mtb racer that I mechanic for and I didn't tell her what it was. I just asked for her feedback after a season's use. She races in some pretty crappy conditions.

She came by with the empty bottle one day begging for some more and wanting to know what it was. Of couse when I finally told her she was quite surprised - not to mention very impressed.

Skinny Legged XC MTB geek

Tried it, but went back to ProLink

One of the shops I frequent for maintenance on my MTB lubed my chain with DuMonde Tech once, so i got a bottle of it and tried it for a while. I ride MTB in dry and very dusty conditions. Where I could usually ride 60-100 miles without relubing on the Pro Link, I found that I had to relube with DuMonde tech at 15-20 mile intervals to keep the chain from getting real noisy with painful, gritty sounding friction. Back to Pro Link, which I have about 4 more bottles of, before I try the home made replacement mentioned in his thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

I have been using it for about 3 yrs

So far so good. I tried pro link but I live in a damp climate and it didn't work well for me. I think it's pretty good stuff. The only difference between the two types, blue and the light which is yellow appears to be the smell. I have used both and could not find any difference in performance.

If you do use it make sure you clean your drive train really well first. It does shed dirt and grease so you will end up with a mess if you don't clean well before the first application. Just a small drop on each link run it around slowly. Wipe the heck out of it. Shift through the gears and wipe down again. I get between 250-300 miles between applications.

I don't think there is any one "best" lube out there. Different people ride in different conditions and want different things. Just keep trying until you find something that works for you.

The Edge
    I'll second that.
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

I love it

I've been using it for a year on my road bike. I think it's the best lube I've ever tried. I prefer the original to the lite though. In good conditions I can ride 100 miles before relubing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

100 miles between lubes?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate552
    In good conditions I can ride 100 miles before relubing.
    With ProLink, I nearly always go 350 miles between lubes. Unless I am caught in the rain, ProLink goes 350 miles, no sweat.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up works pretty well

I use it on my road bike and I think it works pretty well. I can usually get 2-3 rides (~100mi) out of one application. What I like about it most is that it cleans up very easily and doesn't leave hard to remove gunk on the drivetrain.

I tried using various synthetic oil/ solvent combos and found that dimonde works *much* better.

That said, I agree that it isn't good in very wet weather and is horrible in a mountain bike.

Good uck,
    JC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Tried It - "Touchy" To Apply

DuMonde Tech is touchy to apply. Too much and you get a black mess. You can't just douse your chain with it and wipe it off. A small drop each link and then wipe off. Also, any contaminants on your chain during the first application and your are also asking for a black mess.

I was using Pro-Link with pretty good success, but found it didn't do well in wet stuff. Tried Slick Willy, at the recommendation of others on this board, and have been very happy with its performance . As clean as Pro-Link, easy to apply, and last longer in wet. I can routinely get around 300+ miles per application.

Some lubes are better than others, but if you pick a quality lube and practice routine lubrication and cleaning practices on your drivetrain, chain wear and cassette life performance will be maximized.

GC