RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Dura-Ace ten speed chain replacement?

It seems that the ten speed chain for Dura-Ace has gone the way of the dinosaur.

My Dura-Ace ten speed chain broke, and I need a replacement of similar or (preferably) equal quality.

What can I use?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    It seems that the ten speed chain for Dura-Ace has gone the way of the dinosaur.

My Dura-Ace ten speed chain broke, and I need a replacement of similar or (preferably) equal quality.

What can I use?
    The 10 speed Shimano chain currently available says its for Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105. I use them on my 10 speed rain bike with Dura Ace and they work quite well. Bike Tires Direct here in Portland has good prices on them.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You can use pretty much any 10 speed chain you want. As MerlinAma posted the current 10 speed road chain from Shimano says 'D/A-Ultegra-105'. It's still the directional chain.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I use Dura Ace 11 speed chains on my Dura Ace 10 speed bike. Anecdotally, they seem to wear a little quicker and shift a little better than Dura Ace 10 speed chains that I was using previously on the same bike.

11 speed chains also seem to wear a little quicker on my 11 speed bike than my experience with 10 speed everything so the faster wear compared to 10 on my 10 speed bike would seem to be due to the chain itself not using 11 speed chains on a 10 speed.

Not sure what Shimano says about compatibility but 11 speed Dura Ace chains absolutely work very well with 10 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You can use pretty much any 10 speed chain you want. As MerlinAma posted the current 10 speed road chain from Shimano says 'D/A-Ultegra-105'. It's still the directional chain.
    Do you by any chance have the part number for this chain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Do you by any chance have the part number for this chain?
    This is really easy:

LMGTFY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2018-Sh...8AAOSw-itXu4D6
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I also use a 10-speed Dura Ace chain (CN 7901). There are no more such chains advertised anywhere. But I read a report about 2 years ago where someone did a fairly long-term test of a Shimano 11-speed Dura Ace chain on a 10-speed bike (no other changes). The tester reported excellent performance, shifting, & wear, compared to the 10-speed chain, as stated by Jay Strongbow.
    One problem: I use a KMC 10-speed Quick Link on my 10-speed chain. Is a similar Quick Link available for the 11 speed chain? Can it be used multiple times?
    Please advise.
    Bob

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazilim View Post
    I also use a 10-speed Dura Ace chain (CN 7901). There are no more such chains advertised anywhere. But I read a report about 2 years ago where someone did a fairly long-term test of a Shimano 11-speed Dura Ace chain on a 10-speed bike (no other changes). The tester reported excellent performance, shifting, & wear, compared to the 10-speed chain, as stated by Jay Strongbow.
    One problem: I use a KMC 10-speed Quick Link on my 10-speed chain. Is a similar Quick Link available for the 11 speed chain? Can it be used multiple times?
    Please advise.
    Bob
    Of course there are. I reuse them for the life of the particular chain they were installed on, replace w/ a new chain. And because it's so hard:

LMGTFY
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I just switched to a PYC 11 spd chain on my Dura Ace 7900 bike. It shifts as good as the 10 spd chain I had on it before.

The PYC SP1101 is a copy of the KMC X11SL. The PYC chain is cheaper and lighter than the KMC. I’ll see how long it lasts.