RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

easy question front derailleur adj.

Sorry for the basic question...I usually let my LBS take care of all adjustments.
    When my chain is on the large chain ring in front, my chain will rub the inside of my front derailleur when I shift to the larger cogs in the rear. Essentially, I think my front derailleur need to move out a very small amount. Do I make this adjustment with the H limit screw or can I "fix" this problem with playing with the barrel adjustment? I have relatively new Dura Ace derailleur. Thanks so much for the basic question. (I have reviewed many links on the subject and am still not sure about the right way to fix this minor annoyance).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    New bikes typically don't come with the component documentation. Shimano's docs are good and can be found here:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp?JSESSIONID=GZBXQJ2z1FbT48HjsJXN26ZG2XyJ 5ywGcNZxn2NvzrRRGTNgfKYc!-1257833639&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051957&bmUID=1188676055612

There are several setup parameters with the front derailleur and though I could guess at your problem, it's better and a fairly simple matter for you to check them all (hence the link to the docs).

Enjoy your bike.

hello
    Resetting the limit screw will do absolutely nothing to your particular problem, as the chain is rubbing on the 'inner' side of the derailleur cage. It is more of a cable tension issue. Usually, shifting a click down takes care of the chain rub when cross-chaining which you really shouldn't be doing but most people do it anyway......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Trim?

Quote Originally Posted by bobinvirginia
    When my chain is on the large chain ring in front, my chain will rub the inside of my front derailleur when I shift to the larger cogs in the rear. Essentially, I think my front derailleur need to move out a very small amount. Do I make this adjustment with the H limit screw or can I "fix" this problem with playing with the barrel adjustment? I have relatively new Dura Ace derailleur. Thanks so much for the basic question. (I have reviewed many links on the subject and am still not sure about the right way to fix this minor annoyance).
    Doesn't the Shimano front shifter have a trim position? If not, you need to turn the barrel adjuster "in" a bit. Alternatively, if you had Campy front shifting, you wouldn't have this problem as you'd have plenty of shifter positions to deal with it (Chorus & Record for 2007, all shifters 2006 & before).