Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Ebay Carbon Bottle Cages

Looking for a low cost, carbon bottle cage. There seem to be quite a few good deals on Ebay...like $25.00 shipped for two.

Anyone used them? What are the results? I have done some research and found a few older threads. Seems there were a lot of concerns about them breaking, bottles flying out on bumps, scratching bottles and so on, but no real reports of those things happening.

Just curious if any of the above issues have happened. Also, based on personal experience, what have you purchased and what are the results.

I am currently using two of the 25 oz camelbak podium chill bottles.

Thanks in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    They aint carbon, but I use and recommend either Elite Custom Race cage or Arundel Sport cages. Either are lightweight hold the bottles very well, with the Elite being somewhat lighter but less secure than the Arundel.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom...tle-cage-2012/
    http://www.arundelbike.com/sport.html?p=1.1.1.8

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure which one's you're talking about, there are a bunch of different types. I got a set of these.
    2X Carbon Fibre CYCLE Drink Bottle Cage Holder DB902 | eBay
    I've had zero issues. They hold the bottles really tight. I was quite surprised how stiff they are. No scratches on the bottles, as they're totally smooth.
    They're claimed to be 22g. I think mine were like 25g-26g.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I used Stradalli's carbon cages, bought on eBay. Very light, but the bottles will come out if you go over rough roads. There just isn't enough strength in the arms to retain the bottles, alas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Not sure which one's you're talking about, there are a bunch of different types. I got a set of these.
    2X Carbon Fibre CYCLE Drink Bottle Cage Holder DB902 | eBay
    I've had zero issues. They hold the bottles really tight. I was quite surprised how stiff they are. No scratches on the bottles, as they're totally smooth.
    They're claimed to be 22g. I think mine were like 25g-26g.
    I bought these Chinese carbon cages for my Cannondale. While they are light and I have never lost a bottle, they do rattle a bit from road vibration. The Elite Custom cages on my other bike are better in terms of retention and no rattling.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,J
    ---- (O)/ (O)
    Cannondale SystemSix, SRAM Rival/Force
    Cinelli Aliante - Campagnolo Veloce
    Motobecane Immortal - SRAM Apex
    Kestrel Evoke SL - SRAM Rival (RIP)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Elite Custom Race
    +1 And they come in plenty of colors. Got two in Sky blue to match my Sky Dogma.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2none View Post
    I bought these Chinese carbon cages for my Cannondale. While they are light and I have never lost a bottle, they do rattle a bit from road vibration. .
    I haven't had any rattling with mine.

Matnlely Dregaend
    As the previous threads have stated, it's a crapshoot. I have bought cages that launched bottles, I've broken cages in half, and I've had bottles get scuffed up because of dirt abrading the clearcoat on the cages (IMHO all carbon cages do this). I've had this happen with brand name cages and ebay no-name cages. The best light cages I currently own are Campy-style ebay copies that are less than 25 grams each and hold the bottles very well.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

Re-Cyclist
    Ebay doesn't sell anything except the service to sellers. If you don't refer to a particular item you saw there, no one will know what you're talking about.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Walmart sells, believe it or not, a CF bottle cage that weighs 26 grams and cost $12 if I remember correctly; made in China just like the E-bay ones. Walmart also has a 16 gram CF cage for $39. They also have a TI cage that weighs 21 grms for $10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all of the comments.

When I looked at all of the carbon cages being offered by Ebay sellers, I noticed there were many different types. Was looking for feedback on what others have purchased and what has worked / not worked for them.

I like the thought of the Campy style and some of the other suggestions as well. I would have never thought of Walmart...interesting.

Thanks again for the feedback

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    There's no need to be too skeptical about a bottle cage. As long as it holds the water bottle snugly in place you should be good to go. How much weight can you seriously save on a water bottle cage? In the other hand I have to admit Carbon fiber looks hot hehe.. ;)
    -Tedd

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    -Socrates

RoadBikeReview Member
    Walmart.com: Mighty Cage for Water Bottle: Bikes & Riding Toys

The 16 gram $40 CF cage. I would never buy a cage that expensive, I don't care who made it, but if I was a weight weenie then why not that one.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingfan1960 View Post
    How much weight can you seriously save on a water bottle cage?
    What's considered a lot of weight is subjective. But a generic wire bottle cage can weigh 65g. A decent wire cage will weight 45g or less. The Elite Custom Race cage is 40g.
    So a carbon cage that weighs 20-25g can save 20-45g (x2 =40-90g). People will spend a LOT of money to save 40-90g on stems, bars, derailleurs, etc.
    Considering you can get a carbon cage for the same price or less than other bottle cages, price per gram is pretty cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    That's a good point. So you will save 40-90 grams? That's = 3.7 oz .

A regular wire cage is around $6. A cheap carbon cage is around $20 So you are paying around $14 for 3.7 oz. i personally say no deal, better of losing some weight. And what is funny is the fact people spend so much money cutting weight and they end up putting weight on tire repair kits, water, etc.. I think of you live in a flat area weight is nos as crucial. Again thats just my personal point of view.

Thanks
    -Tedd

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    -Socrates

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    So you are paying around $14 for 3.7 oz. i personally say no deal, better of losing some weight.
    I agree with what you're saying. For the average person it's no big deal. But to those trying to cut weight, you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper way to loose 40-90g. People pay hundreds of dollars to loose that much.

Matnlely Dregaend
    $14 for 3.7 oz is pretty cheap of a price per lb... If I could drop 5 pounds off my bike by spending $300 I would have done so already. All the weight savings do add up, and it seems better to save on the cheaper stuff than the more expensive stuff. If I wanted to save 70 grams on a fork the the cost would be way higher.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

Re-Cyclist
    My Blackburn plastic cage looks like a carbon one and weight 3 grams more. $12!
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a good point. So you will save 40-90 grams? That's = 3.7 oz .

A regular wire cage is around $6. A cheap carbon cage is around $20 So you are paying around $14 for 3.7 oz. i personally say no deal, better of losing some weight. And what is funny is the fact people spend so much money cutting weight and they end up putting weight on tire repair kits, water, etc.. I think of you live in a flat area weight is nos as crucial. Again thats just my personal point of view.

Thanks

There will always be fanatical people doing fanatical stuff in any sport. I have a "fanatical" car that has 520 horses plus a 125 hp NOS system, but to get that engine up another 20 horses would cost me at least $1200, and it money gets steeper with less hp gain percentage wise, yet I know guys who go crazy spending that kind of money and a lot more and brag he spent $1000 and got 5 or 10 extra horses.

Well just like cars there are people who are fanatical with their bikes and are willing to spend $100 to lose 5 grams on a water bottle cage, or $1800 for a wheel set that's 125 grams (just 4.4 ounces!) per wheel lighter then their old $500 wheel set.

It's what a hobby is all about, being fanatical. I get to a certain point of being fanatical but I weigh the cost of the gain in hp or the cost of the loss of weight along with durability and then consider whether it's worth buying something. But I would never spend $1000 on a wheel set just to lose a few ounces just as I would never spend $1000 just to gain a few horses...but that's just me and it's my money; there are people that have a lot of money or have nothing to do with the money they make so they spend it on fanatical stuff for smaller and smaller gains.

By the way, I bought a saddle yesterday, a Fizik Aliante that weighs 199 grams for $30, this saddle retailed for $200 range, why did I get it for $30? Because a guy bought a new bike for $6,000 didn't want the saddle because it was heavy? So he traded it for a $280 saddle that weighed 183 grams. So he spent $80 retail value more, but spent $250 for the saddle to save 16 grams or a half an ounce. That's fine because I saved $150 on a nice saddle plus dropped about 115 grams from my old saddle thanks to him! Now who came out ahead?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Ok, so I was all set to just pick up a carbon Ebay cage and be done with it, as I refused to pay $50+ for a damn bottle holder.

Then, an Arundel Mandible dropped into my lap, new, for $39 from an acquaintance of mine....so I bought that , since I like the design more and they are supposed to work better than most.

Funny how we draw the line....pay multiple thousands for a new bike, won't pay $50 for an accessory, but will pay $39

Anyway, it had nothing to do with weight, just design and reputation. If I had gone Ebay first, I'd still be happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I use 4 different style cages on my various bikes, and the Elite Custom Race cages hold Camelbak Podium Chill bottles the most securely by far. If you are riding off-road or on rough roads, they are a nice compromise weight-wise at a claimed 40 grams each (mine came in a little under 41 g).

One thing to note for Camelbak Podium Chill bottles, they may fit pretty tight in a lot of cages. I have some expensive carbon fiber cages on one of my bikes that are not very secure except for when I use the Podium Chill bottles. They seem to have a slightly enlarged diameter versus lots of other bottles (versus Specialized, Elite, and Polar in my personal experience). That would be good for bottle security, but if you have weak carbon cages, you might find yourself breaking off a piece when trying to slide the bottles back in during a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    I use 4 different style cages on my various bikes, and the Elite Custom Race cages hold Camelbak Podium Chill bottles the most securely by far. If you are riding off-road or on rough roads, they are a nice compromise weight-wise at a claimed 40 grams each (mine came in a little under 41 g).

One thing to note for Camelbak Podium Chill bottles, they may fit pretty tight in a lot of cages. I have some expensive carbon fiber cages on one of my bikes that are not very secure except for when I use the Podium Chill bottles. They seem to have a slightly enlarged diameter versus lots of other bottles (versus Specialized, Elite, and Polar in my personal experience). That would be good for bottle security, but if you have weak carbon cages, you might find yourself breaking off a piece when trying to slide the bottles back in during a ride.

HEY! You post that RIGHT AFTER my post....and I have a Big Podium Chill bottle. It had better fit in my new #^%! Arundel cage, lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I spent about $140 on a pair of Campagnolo Records, which is cheap at about a third of the price of the full fat ones.

Why? I had money to burn and needed to get my cycling purchase fix but not enough for a whole new bike. Besides, I'm a latter-day cycling Fred; gotta have the kit right, right?

They are absolutely not worth the money, but are without doubt the best bottle cages you could buy. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    My Blackburn plastic cage looks like a carbon one and weight 3 grams more. $12!
    3 grams more than what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a pair of Bontrager Race Lite cages that cost me $8 each and weighed 29 grams, but they no longer make that cage. Personally I like Chris King stainless steel cages the best, but their TI cages just like a lot of CF cages are way too expensive for the weight one would save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast