Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

"everyone" using speedplay ?

seems like everyone is using or switching to one of the speedplay pedals.

since im going to be getting into a new bike shortly i have to buy everything. so ive been looking at speedplays etc.

pros?

cons?

i was leaning towards the adjustable ones...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Everyone isn't.
    Eppur si muove.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Cons?
    -Absolutely unwalkable without cleat covers on them.
    -They'll also trash your house or work or shop floors without covers on them. Covers are cheap, although it is one more thing to carry around.
    -Cleats are a bit of a pain to setup the first few times-as you'll need 7 screws per cleat for most shoes.
    -SnapShims, are a PITA...and figuring out how to correctly shim your specific make/model/year of shoe can be hit or miss and can require guessing.
    -Further, I've been on a major SAG supported light touring ride, and had a screw fall out-and the SAG (which is one of the major LBSes, not my own, in my town) was not an authorized SpeedPlay dealer...and therefore could not get me a spare screw for love or money.
    -Cleats need lubed and torque checked regularly to avoid that last one.
    -Keep the cleats the hell away from sand.

Pros?
    -As much float for your knees as you want and more than any other cleat/pedal system. Joint comfort is paramount, especially if you've head knee issues on the bike before
    -Foot is as close to the axle as you can get.
    -Everything else is the same as any other pedal system.

I love my X-5 SpeedPlays, they're muy bueno on my knees over any Look or Time or SPD system I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Everyone isn't.
    Yea, only the uncool kids don't use them....and as we all know, those who are uncool never count as part of "everyone". ;)
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    thanks for the reply. well im getting the bg fit done at the spec boutique. they have an awesome fitter and from what ive heard setup a lot of local race guys etc.. so im sure by now they have experience with them. they might even sell them. im not sure.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
    thanks for the reply. well im getting the bg fit done at the spec boutique. they have an awesome fitter and from what ive heard setup a lot of local race guys etc.. so im sure by now they have experience with them. they might even sell them. im not sure.
    Speedplay are very tight on who they allow to sell their products. I believe this year they ceased allowing QBP to carry their line, even.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    oh, well if they dont sell them, hopefully they have had experience fitting/shimming etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP just be aware that some people and their knees like lots of float, and others don't.

My knees happen to be happiest in zero float cleats. Lots of float is worse for me.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    from what i was reading it looks like they offer no float, float, and fully adjustable to a little or none....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    from what i was reading it looks like they offer no float, float, and fully adjustable to a little or none....
    The no float models really confuse me...why bother? If I'm going to deal with all of the quirks of Speedplay...I'm sure as heck not going to deal with it on a zero float model when there are many other, easier to use brands out there that offer the same thing.

Personally, after watching my cousin struggle with his...I went with SPD-SL...and I'm happy with them.

Hucken The Fard Up !

Look ko is all you need
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    Look ko is all you need
    This is probably my next set...with their lower prices I figured it wasn't a big deal to try them out...

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    The no float models really confuse me...why bother? If I'm going to deal with all of the quirks of Speedplay...I'm sure as heck not going to deal with it on a zero float model when there are many other, easier to use brands out there that offer the same thing.

Personally, after watching my cousin struggle with his...I went with SPD-SL...and I'm happy with them.
    Zero's are fully adjustable (from no float to 15 degrees). Light Actions are full float (no adjustment). There is no Zero no float model.

I don't think your cousin gave his enough time (being nice). Speedplay's are as easy to enter and exit as they get (just a little tight when new).
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Zero's are fully adjustable (from no float to 15 degrees). Light Actions are full float (no adjustment). There is no Zero no float model.

I don't think your cousin gave his enough time (being nice). Speedplay's are as easy to enter and exit as they get (just a little tight when new).

Only other time SpeedPlays are hard to enter/exit...is if you let **** get in the cleat.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Only other time SpeedPlays are hard to enter/exit...is if you let **** get in the cleat.
    That's what I was talking about. Watching my cousin get crap stuck in his over and over again turned me off to it. One stop on the side of a country road and him putting his foot down would means his picking crap out of them to get them to work again.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    That's what I was talking about. Watching my cousin get crap stuck in his over and over again turned me off to it. One stop on the side of a country road and him putting his foot down would means his picking crap out of them to get them to work again.
    Yep, that would be the con on them. I personally have never had that problem but I live in a dry climate so it's never been an issue. Other than that, I think they are a great pedal system.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure why I'm bothering.
    Speedplay with no covers are no worse than the old nail on metal cleats that I started with . I don't get the deal with wanting to go on a hike with cycling shoes on when I put the shoes on I'm going for a ride, the most I'll do is stop to take a leak or sit on a bench and hang out. I live off a dirt road and use the covers that you leave on the cleat, no issues with dirt, no issue if you feel the need to go for a walk. Maybe it was those military drill boots that I had with the horseshoe irons that I got used to wearing on marble floors or maybe I just HTFU.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the performance equivalent of the Look pedals for the first 10k miles and they were OK compared to toe clips. I then switched to another brand when Performance stopped making replacement cleats. I forget the brand, but my knees won't. I learned I need float.

I then switched to speedplay zeros, which have the adjustable float. I have loved them for the last 25k miles. I commute with 7 red lights and 2 stop signs in the way. I find the speedplays are the best pedal to clip into as they are symmetrical. No more getting stuck short in traffic fumbling for the right side of the pedal.

The cleats are not too bad to walk in. I walk the length of our shop 2x a day. The cleats will tear up a wood floor. I use the cleat covers when I want to be floor friendly or have a long walk.

The cleat screws are M4x10mm flat heads. I carry a couple of spares that I got at ACE hardware. Install with loctite per the instructions. I lost one screw before I got Loctite religion.

Speedplay says the cleats last 5k miles. Mine have lasted 10-12k miles before the snap ring broke. This is not a ride ender as you can pedal at 3/4 power to get home. I do lube the cleats every month or so with a dry lubricant. They are most happy this way.

Lubing the pedal shafts is a fussy operation. However, mine are still very happy after many miles with no play or rough spots.

I like Speedplay.

Ride Safe,

Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Cons?
    -Absolutely unwalkable without cleat covers on them.
    -They'll also trash your house or work or shop floors without covers on them. Covers are cheap, although it is one more thing to carry around.
    -Cleats are a bit of a pain to setup the first few times-as you'll need 7 screws per cleat for most shoes.
    -SnapShims, are a PITA...and figuring out how to correctly shim your specific make/model/year of shoe can be hit or miss and can require guessing.
    -Further, I've been on a major SAG supported light touring ride, and had a screw fall out-and the SAG (which is one of the major LBSes, not my own, in my town) was not an authorized SpeedPlay dealer...and therefore could not get me a spare screw for love or money.
    -Cleats need lubed and torque checked regularly to avoid that last one.
    -Keep the cleats the hell away from sand.
    - My wife has been using Speedplays for a decade. She seems to be able to walk just fine without cleat covers.

- If you consider tightening 7 screws to be a pain compared to tightening 3 screws then I guess you're right.

- No guessing on the shims - you just use the ones that result in a flat mating surface.

- Screws fall out when you don't install them tight enough. Otherwise they don't need any attention.

- Agree that you don't want to get sand in them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    seems like everyone is using or switching to one of the speedplay pedals.
    got caught up on the hype a few years back too switched to speedplay and switched back to Look (Keo Blade Ti this time) after a couple of rides. Didn't work for me and I'm just happy the LBS took them back.

But hey, like most things cycling, pedal preference is subjective. Try them out yourself as a lot of people seem to really like them.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member

It seems to me that a lot of people tend to prefer Speedplay because of the float they offer.
    I find the Look Keo with the 9 deg float red cleats more than enough float wise and without some of the hassle of the Speedplays.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    They can take my Shimano SPD-SLs when they pry them off my cold, dead feet. Or something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: "everyone" using speedplay ?

Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    It seems to me that a lot of people tend to prefer Speedplay because of the float they offer.
    I find the Look Keo with the 9 deg float red cleats more than enough float wise and without some of the hassle of the Speedplays.
    That's exactly what I ride. Look Carbon Keo with red cleats. I replace the cleats about every 18 months, but I love the feel. Good float, good support, great system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The issue with SPD-SL. Look, Time, etc... Is they may have float, but it is self-centering float. Hence the reason you need to adjust cleat rotation so your foot and knee end up aligned correctly. The beauty of Speedplay is that it's free floating. The negative is that is something you will need to get use to, but once you're use to it (and if it works for you) I can't see why anyone would want to give it up.

I live in Canada...It snows here and there is general crap on the roads I rarely if ever have any clipping issues with the pedals or durability issues with the pedals or cleats. Yes these pedals are definitely for those of us who ride our bikes. Those that have a tendency to ride and hike will probably want to select a different pedal system...

Recycle King
    This is probably my next set...with their lower prices I figured it wasn't a big deal to try them out...
    I am using a pair of Look Easy Keo right now. Very light, though it doesn't have tension adjustment which I'm fine with it. I love the big platform, no pressure point on the bottom of my feet.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

So. Calif.
    Pros?
    -As much float for your knees as you want and more than any other cleat/pedal system. Joint comfort is paramount, especially if you've head knee issues on the bike before
    -Foot is as close to the axle as you can get.
    -Everything else is the same as any other pedal system.
    I'd also add:

- axle/spindle available in several special order lengths (for those needing it).

- with a Speedplay adapter plate, far more front-rear cleat adjustability (for those needing it).

- double-sided entry, and "self centering" clip in -- you can be "off" and the cleat still finds "home".
    No fumbling at the start of any criterium race.

- more ground clearance when pedaling during turns. Highly desireable for crits. I'd estimate 1/2 of the So Cal racers are using Speedplays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast