RoadBikeReview Member

Experience with the Selle Italia SLR Carbino FLOW?

I'm thinking about putting together an ultralight roadie next year and was kinda thinking about this saddle. I have used an SLR Gel Flow for about a year now and enjoy it. I realize that the $ spent may not be worth the 100g weight reduction, but I have a decent budget since I'm building the bike and utilizing wheel sets I already own.

I guess my question is really how it compares to the SLR Gel Flow in a comfort perspective. My goal will be using it for road races only. I'm guessing I'll be a Cat 4, so there'll be some distance, but not like I'm going to be racing 100 miles...yet.
    Last edited by spade2you; 08-08-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: forgot exact model designation.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    I have ridden a SLR Carbonio, a SLR Gel Flow and the SLC and recently I got a SLK Carbonio

The SLR Gel Flow is comfortable. Not light, but really comfy, padded and flat

the SLR Carbonio is superlight but also hard and slightly curved, in my particular case causes me numbness. ( my perineum needs a cutout, yours could be different )

I prefer the SLC because it has a large cutout, and has "suspension" on the rails. It is not cheap, so price is not in the equation.

However the SLC is not flat, it has some curvature, I guess it gets flat when my butt is on it and the suspension gives in, but I can't see it when it is the case

I have just got a used SLK Carbonio I got real cheap and I notice the cutout is narrower but also is very flat and very padded.

I'll give it a try when stops raining ( tuesday or so ) and I can post some comments about.

In the moment I prefer the SLC

BTW the SLC needs to be tilted down.

First, because it flattens under your weight, Second because the cutout is so extreme, that if you point the nose up the cutout end would end pressuring your jhonson.

When it is tilted down it is simply perfect.

here a pic, that has been criticized a lot around here because of the tilt down, but this is the way it works better for me.

I know you'll like the bike ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oops, I should have stated SLR Carbino FLOW, my bad. I would imagine I'd have numbness issues with the standard SLR Carbino, too. I guess

Yes, I kind of like that bike. How did you know?

Any experience with the SLR Carbino Flow?? From the top, they look like it's about the same shape as the SLR Gel Flow. From the side view, it looks thinner, but I'd think it may be due to the slimmer insert, hopefully not decreased padding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have and use three SLR Carbonio Flows. Can't compare to the "Gel" version because I really do not like gel saddles and wouldn't ever consider one. Comfort-wise, obviously I find them very comfortable. I ride 10,000+ miles/year, 100+ mile rides on them without a thought. But since we're talking about saddles, YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John
    I have and use three SLR Carbonio Flows. Can't compare to the "Gel" version because I really do not like gel saddles and wouldn't ever consider one. Comfort-wise, obviously I find them very comfortable. I ride 10,000+ miles/year, 100+ mile rides on them without a thought. But since we're talking about saddles, YMMV.
    Obviously nothing works for everyone, but thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure how I'd tolerate the non-gel padding, but I'm optimistic. I have the Optima on my TT bike and wouldn't consider more than a 40k on it, but some of that could be due to the fact that I'm in the TT position. Although I still find it better than most TT saddles since I can still sit on a seat, not just some glorified nose.