RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

FD issue, chain feels like it wants to jam while shifting to big ring

Hi, my friends Shimano 105 (5800) compact set up feels like the chain wants to jam while shifting to the big ring, the FD is braze on. I can complete the shift by hand but it is not smooth. The FD seems seated properly with a slight touch of tail angle in the back. The FD will shift back to small ring no problem. Thanks
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The obvious things to check are the height and alignment. Check out YouTube for some how-to videos.

Otherwise you haven't given us much to work with here

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Support screw adjusted properly? Outside derailleur cage needs to be parallel to the big ring, not angled at all. Height should be 2-3 mm over the teeth.

Is this happening in the work stand or on the road?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Forever a Student
    After setting the cage parallel, as stated above, and being sure the support bolt is at least touching, and getting the height right...

Shift into the big ring and the biggest cog in the back, cross chain style (the pro's gear).

Click down to the trim position for the big ring, but keep it in the big ring.

Adjust tension on the barrel adjuster, which you have to have installed inline by the way, until the inner of the plate just barely has a gap, maybe half a millimeter or so. Same sort of way you set the low limit.

Oh, and of course make sure your limits are set right before any of this cable adjustment stuff.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Check for a bent chainring tooth, bent (wobbly) chainring, bent front derailleur cage, or a chain that is twisted along its length (twisted links).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    The FD was in its proper positioning (for this particular FD Shimano has the tail end 1-1.5mm toward the frame. I decided to adjust it so that it was parallel just so see if there was any difference and the change was quite noticeable.
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

105 Shifter/derailleurs
    Continental Gators 25c
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRojo View Post
    The FD was in its proper positioning (for this particular FD Shimano has the tail end 1-1.5mm toward the frame. I decided to adjust it so that it was parallel just so see if there was any difference and the change was quite noticeable.
    You've failed at reading the instructions. Try again.

"1. After tentatively tightening the clamp bolt, adjust the low adjustment screw and align the front end of the outer plate of the chain guide parallel to the surface of the largest chainring.
    At this point, adjust the chain guide so that its rear end is 0.5 – 1.0 mm inside."

Followed by height adjustment instructions, then this:

"4. Adjust the support bolt so that the flat portion of the outer plate of the chain guide is parallel to the surface of the largest chainring.
    * Check by holding an Allen key against the flat surface of the largest chainring."

RoadBikeReview Member
    A picture is worth 1,000 words and a video is worth 1,000 pictures:

How To Adjust Shimano Mechanical Road Front Derailleurs
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thank you everyone, it was an off angle FD and has been corrected!

"You've failed at reading the instructions. Try again. "

To be honest I didn't like the tone of this comment. No one is making you reply. I wrench for friends and the like, mostly to help them get of of mechanical jams and any money I earn I put into my charity ride fundraising kitty. Thus I avoid having to hit people up for money and I give my time and my bicycle mechanical knowledge in return. I am a pretty good wrench and if I have a question this forum is the first place I turn. There is enough obnoxiousness in the world, let's not add to it.

105 Shifter/derailleurs
    Continental Gators 25c
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

I've been refining my act here for over a decade. It's been honed to near perfection...just the right amount of obnoxiousness tempered w/ sometimes valuable information. If that really bothers you then maybe the interwebs are the wrong place to look for help like this. You never know when some guy like me will show up and be mean. Sorry if I offended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've been refining my act here for over a decade. It's been honed to near perfection...just the right amount of obnoxiousness tempered w/ sometimes valuable information. If that really bothers you then maybe the interwebs are the wrong place to look for help like this. You never know when some guy like me will show up and be mean. Sorry if I offended.
    Yeah, that's about right. It can be a mistake to be too sensitive in a place like this. When I find myself the target of one of your bluntly-phrased corrections, I usually try to get rid of my hurt feelings by replying, "Oops; you're right; thanks."

Because, like, you're usually right, so I learned something. Though once or twice I've caught you in a mistake, which gives me a wholly unreasonable amount of satisfaction.

FreeRojo, I'm glad you got things straightened out.
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRojo View Post
    To be honest I didn't like the tone of this comment. No one is making you reply. There is enough obnoxiousness in the world, let's not add to it.
    CX can be grumpy at times. Just give him a back rub and some treats and he'll purr like a kitten.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger