Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feather Brakes

RoadBikeReview Member

Feather Brakes

I just ordered a set for my Seven Elium SG. But, they are so new, I haven't heard any reviews. Has anyone tried these yet?

http://www.featherbrakes.com/index.php
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kokopelli Racing

duh...
    $400 for brakes?! why???

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are a little cheaper than Zero Gravity brakes. I just ordered them on a whim because they looked sweet. I'm hoping they work well. Otherwise, I'll look for some Zero G red devil brakes T $666!

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/page/G...D/GRAM/CAL0029

Most likely, however, I'll keep them. I don't ride my road bike very often, so I wouldn't want to keep dropping money into it.
    Kokopelli Racing

duh...
    $400 for brakes for a bike you don't ride very often?! why???

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    $400 for brakes for a bike you don't ride very often?! why???
    Thorstein Veblen had it figured out long ag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never met Thorstein Veblen before. But, when I do get a chance to ride, I want to ride a nice bike. Plus, didn't spend very much my road bike. I do much more mountain biking, so I spend most of my time (and money) off-road.

But, back to the original question - I guess nobody's tried the Feather brakes?
    Kokopelli Racing

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    $400.00 for a lame ass single pivot brake. I've got a bridge for sale if you're looking?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't know there was a difference in road bike brakes - single or dual pivot. Is the dual pivot supposed to increase braking power? Modulation? As a mountain biker, I haven't used rim brakes since I retired my V-brakes and went disc in the late 90's. I now run Hope hydraulics on pretty much all my bikes. I guess if they don't work so well, I'll just put the Dura Ace ones back on. I can always use the Feathers as a back-up.
    Kokopelli Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    There is a lot of bashing from folks that have never ridden these brakes. I don't remember the OP asking whether he should spend the $ but rather the quality of the brakes.

I've never ridden them. so I have no oppinion. I will say that I have two sets of zero gravs and love them.

People spend their money on what is important to them. I would spend this kind of money if they worked well and were 1/3 the weight of Campy and Simano.

Then again, I ride Ritchey micro V3 road pedal that weighs 200 grams a pair and cost $70.00 because they are the best value, while many others ride a $200-300 pedals that weight the same, or more, and offer nothing of greater significance.

I hope the OP provides some feedback on the brakes so that we all can hear how well they work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I'd like to hear back when you've ridden them...but either way I think you're nuts. Buying a really expensive product that you have no idea how well it works to replace the industry standard best product (DA brakes) just to shave a few grams from a bike you don't actually use.

Put a product on the market and *someone* will buy it I guess. F'ing weird.

Hoffman

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm surprised that so many road bikers on this forum feel that $400 is a lot to pay for brakes. As a mountain biker, I've always felt that road bikes and road bike components are really expensive (compared to mountain bikes / components). For example, a $4000-5000 mountain bike would be considered a very nice bike. But, one could easily spend $8000-10000 on a high-end road bike. Likewise, a really nice mountain bike wheelset (ie Industry 9) would run about $800-900. A set of Zipp wheels for a road bike, however, can push close to $2000.

And yes, I would be happy to post my thoughts on the Feather brakes after I've tried them.
    Kokopelli Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    A third of a pound is hardly a few grams. Saving 130 to 150 grams is significant, if the brakes work. BTW, Campy is the industry standard! ;?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    And, brakes last a life time, where as many other things don't.

A hockey stick cost between $125 to 250 and can be broken in one game. I'll go through 2 sticks a season. I don't see how $400 list and $300 discount product that will last a life time can be called a waste of money. Especially with the weight savings they bring. A pair of tires cost can cost $70-120 and how long do they last. Come on, really, it is not like he is spending $1000.00 or more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonda
    A third of a pound is hardly a few grams. Saving 130 to 150 grams is significant, if the brakes work. BTW, Campy is the industry standard! ;?)
    I have Dura Ace at 314 grams, Feather at 199 grams, making the difference right about 4 ounces or 1/4 pound.

For a new build, an interesting choice. For a replacement . . . that's a lot of $'s.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i can't believe i'm what...the 10th post and i'm the first one w/ any actual riding experience on these brakes? crazy...
    but anyway, i installed them last week on a parlee that previously had zero gravity brakes. the feathers don't really work like a single pivot, they have the little deal that makes the actuation kinda like a dual pivot. on the bike i worked on, they ended up feeling wayyyyy better than the zero gravity brakes, more power, very solid feel, good modulation. i guess you can get the barrel adjuster and the little cam thing in different colors, which is sorta cool. anyway, they went on fine, were easy to set up and felt good. there ya have it...
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks CX

Good to hear an actual ride report.

Anyways, I just picked up the bike from the shop this afternoon. The brakes look great. They feel good rolling around the parking lot of the bike shop. But, I haven't had a chance to take them for a ride, yet. I'll post ride impressions after a few rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feather Brakes-seven-elium-front-brake-small.jpg   Feather Brakes-seven-elium-front-half-small.jpg  
    Kokopelli Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks nice on that bike...enjoy!
    Looking forward to a review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidsonDuke
    I have Dura Ace at 314 grams, Feather at 199 grams, making the difference right about 4 ounces or 1/4 pound.

For a new build, an interesting choice. For a replacement . . . that's a lot of $'s.
    I'd gladly spend that kind of money for some less lame brakes (than my dura ace). Road brakes are 20 years behind mountain bike brakes. Shimano is my favorite component company but their brakes have always been the worst in the industry (both road and mountain).

Hopefully, pressure from other component builders with force Shimano to bring their road brakes out of the 19th century. The MTB industry did drag them into V brakes and eventually discs but only 8 years after the inferiority of their product was apparent to everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What do you find lame about Shimano brakes? Road brakes seem plenty efficient to me. What would you like them to do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    $400.00 Why? because you can and they look nice....keep spending, you can't take it with you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonda
    There's a few definitions for significant, but I think this one is most applicable to weights and measures:

"of a noticeably or measurably large amount"

To determine if the difference is "significant" there are 3 possible frames of reference.

The brake alone compared to another brake.

The brakes mounted on a bicycle compared to another set of brakes

The total weight of the rider, bicycle and brakes compared to a different brake set. I think we call all agree that this is really the only useful comparison as the brake alone, or the bicycle alone cannot make any progress down the road.

Since they've been mentioned, let's compare Feathers to a set of Campy Record.

First, Feather claims 199 gram for a pair. Unlike some other sleazy, lying manufacturers, this weight actually includes all the parts to actually make the brakes work. Bravo to Feather for some honestly! The

Campys weigh around 279 grams for a pair, so that makes the difference 80 grams.

So for the first case, that's a 29% reduction in weight. Quite significant! But barely useful as the brake alone is just a nice paperweight. (Well, maybe this one wouldn't even work for that in a strong wind.)

For the 2nd case, let's assume a UCI legal bike at 6800 grams. We now put on the Feather brakes and the bike is at 6720 grams. That's a 1.2% weight reduction. I'm going to say that is barely significant, but the bad thing is we're now under the UCI minimum weight and just got DQ'd from our only shot at riding the Giro.

For the last case, let's assume a pretty skinny cyclist riding that 6800 gram bike, maybe a rider that weighs in at 60 kilos ready to ride with shoes, helmet and all.

So that's 66800 with Record Brakes or 66720 with the Feathers which is less that 1/10 of 1% of a difference. Very insignificant no matter how you look at it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Enough with the $ critism. He didn't ask you about whether he should spend the money. Anyway, Record and DA are not that much less, so do you scorn folks that buy them?

Moderatus Puisne

ROAD Magazine

Did a BIG write-up last issue on Feather, both of the brakes themselves (1 page) and an interview / photos with Bob Barnett.

If you're into it, check it out...

Radical
    I'm knutz, too! Lookie! Lookie! Red Modolo Speedy's from Norway! I put them on my Norwegian Blue Parrot's bicycle:

RoadBikeReview Member
    You could save a few ounces by cutting off the end of those 35cm long pad bolts!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast