Thread: Fix It Sticks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

Fix It Sticks

I had seen these a while back and didn't buy.... but was looking again for a compact way to carry a mini tool in my Areoclam.

Fix It Sticks | Light and portable tools for bikes

Doe's anyone have these or had any experience with them?
    They look like a simple compact way to carry some of the basic hex keys and phillips/slot bits with you.

Thoughts ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    By looks I thought the end of each stick was reversible so you'd get 4 options per stick. That would be decent.

But it appears to be just two per stick and I think the swiss army knife style multi tool option is more efficient use of space than that.

Here's an example that has 14 + a chain cutter breaker, tire lever, bottle opener and other stuff. Total over kill for the road: Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Multi-Tools - Blox 23
    That's seven sticks and still coming up short on the chain breaker, lever, bottle opener and other stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    By looks I thought the end of each stick was reversible so you'd get 4 options per stick. That would be decent.

But it appears to be just two per stick and I think the swiss army knife style multi tool option is more efficient use of space than that.

Here's an example that has 14 + a chain cutter breaker, tire lever, bottle opener and other stuff. Total over kill for the road: Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Multi-Tools - Blox 23
    That's seven sticks and still coming up short on the chain breaker, lever, bottle opener and other stuff.
    The fix it sticks can also be had with interchangeable bits.

Replaceables | Fix It Sticks | Light and portable tools for bikes
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah I suppose you could carry about a bunch of heads (for lack of the proper term) and equal a multi tool......that seems a bit sloppy though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah I suppose you could carry about a bunch of heads (for lack of the proper term) and equal a multi tool......that seems a bit sloppy though.
    In a small sack with an earth magnet.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    And you can use any 1/4" bit in them if you have your own.
    Pretty cool I think. They even have a water bottle mount bracket for them.
    Or put them in the bottom of your saddle bag and forget them till you need them

Fix It Sticks Guy
    Dec 2006

just FYI

HI, just to clarify our design (especially the orange sticks) was meant to be very light and very minimal. So those would be 55g vs. 230g for the tool mentioned above. It's apples and oranges comparison in this case, no right or wrong, just these 2 are so very different. Our Replaceable sticks are 120g with 8 bits and a soon to be released chain breaker that will be on par with the other tool in function and weight...we do have tire levers too available now. Our approach is to be modular and then you can pick and choose what you think you need. Again, just a different take on things. Thanks for keeping FIX IT STICKS in the conversation, it's a honor to be in the minds of y'all. (oh yeah, if you can't open a bottle with a tool, then you're not thirsty enough...ha)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdavis76 View Post
    HI, just to clarify our design (especially the orange sticks) was meant to be very light and very minimal. So those would be 55g vs. 230g for the tool mentioned above. It's apples and oranges comparison in this case, no right or wrong, just these 2 are so very different. Our Replaceable sticks are 120g with 8 bits and a soon to be released chain breaker that will be on par with the other tool in function and weight...we do have tire levers too available now. Our approach is to be modular and then you can pick and choose what you think you need. Again, just a different take on things. Thanks for keeping FIX IT STICKS in the conversation, it's a honor to be in the minds of y'all. (oh yeah, if you can't open a bottle with a tool, then you're not thirsty enough...ha)
    Thanks for the insight.

One thing I really do like about that is the option to choose exactly what you want to carry and no more. I couldn't find a multi tool that had exactly what I wanted and no extra. Not that carrying around a couple useless size wrenches is a huge problem but if it can be avoided why not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke View Post
    They look like a simple compact way to carry some of the basic hex keys and phillips/slot bits with you.

Thoughts ?
    Look like they can easily be separated and lost. Why not get one of these multi tools?
    Fix It Sticks-onecol.jpg
    They all stay together.

Road Warrior
    I love the fix-it sticks. They are simple to use, lightweight and extremely compact. Each one of the bits is interchangeable so you can add/remove and or carry spare bits. The set I bought has a small cylindrical container for the spares and a small pouch to carry the two sticks, rolled together its very small. sweet design!!!! Great Tool!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdavis76 View Post

Y
    Yeah, but the lezyne opens beer...............
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I have a set and love em. I am not a fan of traditional seat bags, so the compact and light design is great for the roll I kept in my jersey pocket (until recently when the Silca Tool seat roll premio came out). The roadie set has all the tools to fit my bike and they are great to use. My bulkier multi-tools have since been relegated to my mountain bike back pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Look like they can easily be separated and lost. Why not get one of these multi tools?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ONECOL.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	318335
    They all stay together.

I tend to agree with you. It's all a matter of what you are more concerned about - space or weight. I would rather have a tool that is more compact even if it weighs more, but that's just me.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke View Post
    I had seen these a while back and didn't buy.... but was looking again for a compact way to carry a mini tool in my Areoclam.

Fix It Sticks | Light and portable tools for bikes

Doe's anyone have these or had any experience with them?

Thoughts ?
    I keep one in my apron in the shop. Pretty useful. Hadn't thought of keeping one in a seat bag. But no chain break, so probably wouldn't consider it for my seat bag, anyway.

Edit: Just read the response saying they'll be adding a chain break to work with it? Now I'd be interested in it for the seat bag.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I got one of these a year ago... it is so small and has everything i need for the road.

https://www.amazon.com/PB-Swiss-BikeTool/dp/B00LNBUCXK

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I am a big fan of the Fix It Sticks, and have been using since the Kickstarter campaign. Great company to work with too!

They also recently expanded the line adding torque tools to assist with scope mounting for long rifles. Very handy.

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    I am a big fan of the Fix It Sticks, and have been using since the Kickstarter campaign. Great company to work with too!

They also recently expanded the line adding torque tools to assist with scope mounting for long rifles. Very handy.

Jim D
    Because everyone needs to take out their competitor on a descent from a far. What happened to the good old days when you just framed pump a dude who is ahead of you?
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.