RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Fi'zi:k carbon seat posts

Does anyone have any experience with their Cyrano R1 or Cyrano 00 seatposts? I currently an older Aliante VS saddle and I just purchased the Antares R1 saddle and I don't thing the Bontrager seatpost I have will support the 7x9 rails: don't want chance using the Bontrager seatpost. I am no too familiar with all the seatpost makers out there, so I figured going with Fi'zi:k would be a safe bet since it's compatible with their saddles.

1. Is the Cyrano 00 compatible with the Antares saddle?
    2. Is either post good or one better than the other?
    3. Fi'zi:k webpage had a comment that the R1 would be available soon - Is there a new version coming out? I'm confused as I see folks selling the R1.

If anyone can provide any feedback or anything I may need to be aware, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Methodical; 03-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with their Cyrano R1 or Cyrano 00 seatposts? I currently an older Aliante VS saddle and I just purchased the Antares R1 saddle and I don't thing the Bontrager seatpost I have will support the 7x9 rails: don't want chance using the Bontrager seatpost. I am no too familiar with all the seatpost makers out there, so I figured going with Fi'zi:k would be a safe bet since it's compatible with their saddles.

1. Is the Cyrano 00 compatible with the Antares saddle?
    2. Is either post good or one better than the other?
    3. Fi'zi:k webpage had a comment that the R1 would be available soon - Is there a new version coming out? I'm confused as I see folks selling the R1.

If anyone can provide any feedback or anything I may need to be aware, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...
    I've been using fizik carbon railed saddles on Thompson seat post for years with no problem. I believe the Thompson masterpiece seat post is lighter and likely less expensive (I haven't checked).

I really like carbon bike parts but haven't found a carbon seat post yet that wasn't a POS. I do think the fizik post looks like it doesn't adopt the stupid design characteristics of many of the others so it may be an exception.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. I'll take a look Thompson.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Don't forget to factor in set-back. I don't know much about using carbon saddle rails but would have to guess setting them up to rest in the middle of the seat post clamp is more important than with metal rails.

Thompson Seatposts are better than any carbon seatpost I've used. But that has to do with the clamp not what the actual post part is made of. Presumably there are carbon seatpost out that that have clamps at least close to as easy use so if you want carbon you should be able to find something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    My current seat post has 20mm setback, so I will be looking for something in that range. It's the stock carbon seatpost that came with the Trek.

Can you elaborate on why the Thompson seatpost is better than any carbon seatpost you've use? What makes it better? What was wrong with the carbon post?

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    I really like carbon bike parts but haven't found a carbon seat post yet that wasn't a POS. I do think the fizik post looks like it doesn't adopt the stupid design characteristics of many of the others so it may be an exception.

Hi Swiftsolo,

Can I ask you to possibly share some of the experiences you've had with "carbon" seatposts, the makes, manufacturers, and what you found and/or experienced with them? I am just trying to learn more. Hopefully the adverstising-revenue sensitive RBR patrol won't appear here when we are just trying to learn. Over the years I've seen so many things with people on "carbon" seatposts that I don't know what to think anymore, either good and/or bad. But would be interested in someone like you who has plenty of experience with them.

Thanks!

P.S. Jay S's comment about putting carbon seat rails in the middle of their section is something I've heard from many riders here (Belgium) that have learned this the hard way---as in multiple cracked rails, either micro and/or clean-thru breaks. Evidently, it is something seat manufacturers are well aware of, but yet do not specifically state to buyers to beware of and/or sensitive too. What appears like a rail setting range on carbon seat rails is actually not, especially for those who begin to approach, say 170-180 lbs and/or above and move the rails even a little from their dead center position while in the clamp (this appears to be more likely a fact, given the direct group rides feedback & number of people talking, and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is aggressive road riders and/or people who audax---some posts last these guys years, others fail quickly, but way too many talk about the rails not being dead in the middle & then problems appeared).
    Last edited by BelgianHammer; 03-08-2018 at 06:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    My current seat post has 20mm setback, so I will be looking for something in that range. It's the stock carbon seatpost that came with the Trek.

Can you elaborate on why the Thompson seatpost is better than any carbon seatpost you've use? What makes it better? What was wrong with the carbon post?

Thanks...
    To quote myself: "But that has to do with the clamp not what the actual post part is made of"

It's easier to adjust and has nice numbers on it making it really easy to copy the tilt on to another bike or remember your starting point if you tinker with tilt.
    It has the most user friendly clamp I've ever used is why I like and what it's made of has nothing to do with that.