RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Flat bar roadie shifter question

Looking for replacement shifters for my flat bar roadie. Currently running Shimano SL R440 3x9 shifters with an Ultegra 6500 RD and an R440 FD. My crank is a 53-39 double, so I had to do some creative adjusting to get the 3x9 front shifter to work. Not surprisingly, it is a bit finicky.
    Would like to get back to a "clean" 2x9 arrangement but prefer something better than the Sora level shifters that are still available for flat bar setup's. Anyone know of available R440 2x9 shifters, or perhaps an Ultegra level 2x9? Alternatively, could I use Shimano MTB shifters with my Ultegra RD and a 12-26 road cassette?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich View Post
    Looking for replacement shifters for my flat bar roadie. Currently running Shimano SL R440 3x9 shifters with an Ultegra 6500 RD and an R440 FD. My crank is a 53-39 double, so I had to do some creative adjusting to get the 3x9 front shifter to work. Not surprisingly, it is a bit finicky.
    Would like to get back to a "clean" 2x9 arrangement but prefer something better than the Sora level shifters that are still available for flat bar setup's. Anyone know of available R440 2x9 shifters, or perhaps an Ultegra level 2x9? Alternatively, could I use Shimano MTB shifters with my Ultegra RD and a 12-26 road cassette?
    Hi Frank, no doubt you will like your flat bar road bike,,, I built my Pinarello with a flat bar,,, and bought some Durace down tube shifter's but they didn't work out on the down tube, and the Bicycle Dr,,, came up with Paul's Thumbies on the bar,, they work good, but look a lot less attractive than I had imagined they would on the down tubes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich View Post
    Anyone know of available R440 2x9 shifters, or perhaps an Ultegra level 2x9? Alternatively, could I use Shimano MTB shifters with my Ultegra RD and a 12-26 road cassette?
    https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-question.html

Any Shimano 9-speed MTB shifter set will work, though none of them is likely to be much better than R440. You might try XTR M970.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I use these on my flat bar roadie

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...ters-11-speed/

They shift very well with my 5800 2x11 drivetrain

It might work to get the left shifter only from this if you want to avoid changing everything to 11 speed?