Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

FlightDeck Battery life sucks

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  wolfereeno 
#1 ·
My flightdeck, the wireless version, drains the battery of the brain like 3 or 4 times a year with no warning. I've never even seen the low battery warning msg. It just dies and looses all settings. Its always sad to see that odometer back at zero miles!

What kills me is that often it just dies while the bike's hanging on the rack not being ridden. You'd think the battery for the wireless sensor would need to be replaced often but no, that battery seems to last forever.

FWIW, I'm so sorry I got the wireless version. Wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.

#3 ·
No problem

wolfereeno said:
My flightdeck, the wireless version, drains the battery of the brain like 3 or 4 times a year with no warning. I've never even seen the low battery warning msg. It just dies and looses all settings. Its always sad to see that odometer back at zero miles!

What kills me is that often it just dies while the bike's hanging on the rack not being ridden. You'd think the battery for the wireless sensor would need to be replaced often but no, that battery seems to last forever.

FWIW, I'm so sorry I got the wireless version. Wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.
I've had mine for 2.5 years, wireless version, and never replaced the head unit battery. I've replaced the wireless sensor battery one. I ride every day, at least an hour, and longer on the weekends in temps from freezing during the winter to low 70's in the summer so it's definitely getting used.

Does yours go to sleep after a bit if there's no wheel activity? It should go into the sleep mode requiring either pressing the a or b button to wake it up.

#4 ·
boneman said:
Does yours go to sleep after a bit if there's no wheel activity? It should go into the sleep mode requiring either pressing the a or b button to wake it up.
Yes, it seems to go to sleep normally.

Which version do you have? Mine is the SC-6500. I think there's a 6501. Maybe there's a software difference or bug fix.

#5 ·
No problem with mine

I've had the wireless 6501 version for over two years and haven't had to replace the battery in the main unit at all. Sounds like you got a dud - I'd go back to Shimano, but I wouldn't hold your breath about a result - in my experience they don't like to come to the party when it comes to warranty claims.

I remember reading various posts that seemed to indicate that there were quite a few problems with the older SC 6500 version.

#6 ·

wolfereeno said:
Yes, it seems to go to sleep normally.

Which version do you have? Mine is the SC-6500. I think there's a 6501. Maybe there's a software difference or bug fix.
The 6501's capable of using the wireless sensor while the 6500 is for the wired model.

I have the 6501, along with the wireless sensor.

The main criticism of the 6500 related to the fact that there were two actuation buttons on one lever so it was possible to zero out the settings when riding, defeating the purpose of the computer. Having separate function buttons, one on each STI, make this a bit harder.

Do you store your bike when not riding outside or in a cold environment? That's going to be a factor in battery life.

#7 ·
boneman said:
The 6501's capable of using the wireless sensor while the 6500 is for the wired model.
Do you store your bike when not riding outside or in a cold environment? That's going to be a factor in battery life.
Well I've got the 6500 and it does work wirelessly. But it sounds like there are some software improvements in the 6501 re power management.

The bike's stored in my apartment.

Thanks all. Maybe I can get a swap from Shimano or just buy a new head unit. Excelsports sells the headunit alone for 35 bucks.

#9 ·
My experience is excatly like yours

I've had the unit for about 3 years, and I'd guess I've put 9 batteries in it over that time. I have actually taken to keeping spares on hand because I go through them so fast. And like you, I lose the odometer reading.

I've got a few other issues with the unit. First, the manual seems to indicate that during set-up you can enter an odometer setting (e.g., 1200 miles since replacing the last battery). Mine doesn't let me. Second, the manual seems to indicate that the display should only show two chain rings if you've got a double, but I cannot for the life of me get rid of the little ring.

I also have problems if I ride in the rain (the unit fails to register).

Please let us know if you can find a solution to the battery-life problem. I might like the unit a bit more if the thing didn't cost me $30 in batteries every year.

Thanks.

kg1

#10 ·
This may have nothing to do with the battery life problem, but when I got my wired 6501 flightdeck 1+ year ago it came with a little packet of hard plastic shims that were for the purpose of firming up the contacts between the wiring harness and where they attach to the shifters; seems to me if the connection is poor, it could be a drain on the battery; so far no battery replacement required yet; I don't recall where, but i heard or read that using a little piece of bar tape will do the same.

#11 ·
Which one do you have....

kg1 said:
I've had the unit for about 3 years, and I'd guess I've put 9 batteries in it over that time. I have actually taken to keeping spares on hand because I go through them so fast. And like you, I lose the odometer reading.

I've got a few other issues with the unit. First, the manual seems to indicate that during set-up you can enter an odometer setting (e.g., 1200 miles since replacing the last battery). Mine doesn't let me. Second, the manual seems to indicate that the display should only show two chain rings if you've got a double, but I cannot for the life of me get rid of the little ring.

I also have problems if I ride in the rain (the unit fails to register).

Please let us know if you can find a solution to the battery-life problem. I might like the unit a bit more if the thing didn't cost me $30 in batteries every year.

Thanks.

kg1
Is your head unit a 6500 or 6501? A 6501 can do both enter odometer miles and enter 2 chainrings. I did it Friday. Either yours is broke, you have the wrong instructions, or you're not reading them.

TF

#12 ·
6500 versus 6501

TurboTurtle said:
Is your head unit a 6500 or 6501? A 6501 can do both enter odometer miles and enter 2 chainrings. I did it Friday. Either yours is broke, you have the wrong instructions, or you're not reading them.

TF
I just checked and mine is the 6500. Is that the problem? Is it only the 6501 that allows you to enter the odometer reading and the two chain rings?

I don't have the instruction manual handy, but it may cover both the 6500 and 6501.

Thanks.

Kurt

#13 ·
Both manuals ...

kg1 said:
I just checked and mine is the 6500. Is that the problem? Is it only the 6501 that allows you to enter the odometer reading and the two chain rings?

I don't have the instruction manual handy, but it may cover both the 6500 and 6501.

Thanks.

Kurt
can be found here.

http://bike.shimano.com/computer/index.asp

TF

#15 ·
I just changed my harness from the old 6500 wired to the 6501 wireless, and I'm continuing to use the old (SC-6500) head unit. Since switching from the wired version my battery life has dropped from 12 months to <1 month. I'm going to get the new (SC-6501) head unit to try to fix the problem.

Alex

#16 ·
aabbas said:
I just changed my harness from the old 6500 wired to the 6501 wireless, and I'm continuing to use the old (SC-6500) head unit. Since switching from the wired version my battery life has dropped from 12 months to <1 month. I'm going to get the new (SC-6501) head unit to try to fix the problem.

Alex
Getting the 6501 fixed the problem for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.