J.D.

Fork wireless sensor mounting alternatives?

Is there any better way to attach a wireless sensor to the front fork without using zip ties? They seem to loosen over time and lose a signal easily. I have the ties as tight as they can be too but they seem like they could be tighter. Do they make any special zip ties just for this application. I'd appreciate your input!
    Last edited by jd7707; 01-11-2011 at 06:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Once the sensor is in position and I've tested it, I usually take a pair of pliers to the tail end of the zip tie and either pliers or something else to the "head" of the zip tie and tighten them up as much as I can. I usually get one or two faint clicks out of them with this method and haven't had any movement problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A small amount of any adhesive should stop the movement. Clear silicone sealant sticks to almost anything, but is removable from smooth surfaces without damaging them, and because it's clear a little slop isn't too noticeable.

I never seen zipties loosen. Are they sliding down to a thinner section of fork?

J.D.
    No they dont slide but they just dont seem that tight. It stays in place fine so far, but im just concerned when it comes to rough pavement that itll move a bit and lose a signal. The Cateye strata wireless also seems to have a small sweet spot to where the signal will work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So they "seem" like they're not as tight as you think they should be, but as far as you can tell they've never moved? Maybe you're just being a little obsessive-compulsive ;-) In any event, a dab of glue, or even a tiny piece of double-sided tape between the sensor and the fork leg, should ease your mind. Even a bit of inner tube rubber. All you need is a bit of friction. The sending unit isn't that massive, so there's not much force trying to move it.

duh...
    some come w/ double stick tape (to be used w/ zip ties)... or there's always the mavic es and e-bolt

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I use plain old hot glue that we use in the family for crafts projects, etc. (and more and more things in the shop.

Been using it for several years now and it's never let go. Easy to remove by warming with a hair dryer (don't over do it ... I keep my hand right near what I'm heating to make sure it doesn't get too hot - anything that I can stand with my skin won't hurt either the sensor or the fork). Doesn't damage finish.

That said, the other suggestions of double sided tape, etc. would work too.

The best double sided material I've seen, far and away, is the 3M product sold in auto parts stores, I believe it's marketed to stick on body moldings, etc. It never, ever lets go. My guess is that you could also remove it with a little heat if/when you need to. I've used it on stuff that I really never intend to remove. I tried the hot glue for the sensor because I felt that was something I'd eventually remove, and knew that it would be easy to do*

* I first thought of the hot glue when I obtained a little container of special glue for XC ski pole baskets and grips. It is applied by warming w/ a heat gun and then dipping the pole end in it before inserting the grip or basket. Remove grip or basket by warming w/ a heat gun (carefully) It's just hot glue, maybe a little more flexible than the craft type glue. But the hot glue gun we all have around the house is really easy to apply neatly for a fork mount sensor that doesn't experience a lot of stress.

Rub it............
    I've used the zip ties on all my bikes, 3 mountain bikes included. Never had a problem with the sensor slipping. I've broken a few zip ties from crashes, but no slipping.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeRider
    I wrap black electrical tape around the fork leg (where the sensor will mount) before mounting sensor. Gives the plastic of the sensor something to grip onto. Has never moved in thousands of miles.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo

The best double sided material I've seen, far and away, is the 3M product sold in auto parts stores, I believe it's marketed to stick on body moldings, etc. It never, ever lets go. My guess is that you could also remove it with a little heat if/when you need to. I've used it on stuff that I really never intend to remove. I tried the hot glue for the sensor because I felt that was something I'd eventually remove, and knew that it would be easy to do*

i've used the 3M double sided tape for some stuff on my moto, it works really well. but i like your hot glue idea too. we've used that for magnets on disc wheels and stuff like that.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Electrical tape around the fork and then zip ties works. Easy to remove.