RoadBikeReview Member

Frame Protection

My shifter cables are causing some pretty bad wear to by frame. The paint has been worn right down to the carbon. I tried putting some clear hockey tape on the area long ago, but it just made for a sticky mess and did nothing to prevent this.

Looking for suggestions on whether there is some sort of product that could help prevent further damage.

Thanks.

Frame Protection-img_3773.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frame Protection-img_3773.jpg  

Use my Apps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post
    My shifter cables are causing some pretty bad wear to by frame. The paint has been worn right down to the carbon. I tried putting some clear hockey tape on the area long ago, but it just made for a sticky mess and did nothing to prevent this.

Looking for suggestions on whether there is some sort of product that could help prevent further damage.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	320295
    Search eBay for hellicopter tape or 3M 14 mil paint protectant. I bought a 12"x12" piece of the 14mil stuff years ago and used it on various parts of my frame ant it's still going strong.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    some form of clear plastic sticker between the frame and the cables should work, must be a clear sticker that you could purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Kind of late, but Jagwire has, in their cable kits, rubber bumpers called Tube Tops which slip over your cable housing which may prevent such damage. You do not need to remove the cable to install these bumpers.

I've got some spares so if you want a couple, PM me and I'll slip them in an envelope.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for the suggestions. Peter P. that's very kind of you. Thank you. I'll PM you my details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I've used Lizard skin products in the past to protect chainstays, they work very well
    https://lizardskins.com/road/bike-protection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I use a piece of clear headlight repair tape on the frame and replace it every year or so when I put new cables on. On the cable housing I use a piece of heat shrink wrap. It is a much cleaner look than the Jagwire bumper.

You can also adjust the length of the cable housing so it doesn't rub in the same place all the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016
    I used cable sleeve rubber cover. I bought them on wish.com 10pcs for $7 including shipping. They are similar to Jagwire tube tops 3G housing covers, but a lot cheaper.

Jensonusa sells the Jagwire 50pcs for $73

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Jumpin Jehosephats, that looks like some THICK paint on your fork. And presuming that I assumed correctly that your rub point is on the fork, is your cable housing too long? I typically have my rub points on the head tube. And to tag along the recommendations for frame protection, that stuff does wear out and you may need to replace every 2-3 years.