RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

Friction gear shifters mounting problem and bar ends shifters as an alternative

G'day

I have broken/worn out two sets of Shimano StI levers and am looking at alternatives. I have a friend with friction downtube levers and he is very happyu with them. I can buy Silver friction downtube levers from Velo Orange or rivendell cycles, but I have a Trek 1500 with oval downtube and no braze ons. Getting the shifters is no problem, but how to mount them on the downtube is?

Any suggestions?

Plan two was to buy
    Dura Ace 10 speed bar ends and run them on friction, but I have seen a link that suggest they do not really work well on friction mode. Are there any bar end shifters 8/9/10 speed that work well in friction mode?

Thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Forget shifters on the downtube unless you're willing to fabricate a bracket or modify your frame.

I don't agree with the sweeping assessment that bar-ends don't work well in the friction mode. It does take some practice to shift friction bar ends, but can be learned. For what it's worth, front bar end shifters are friction only, but rear shifters can be set to friction or to indexed. Which brings me to a question: why not get the bar end shifter that matches your number of rear cogs and run it on indexed?

Militant commuter
    I'll second Wim's thoughts...you're out of luck with D/T mounting points unless you fabricate something, and I've never experienced ANY barend shifters that didn't work flawlessly in friction mode (when such a mode is available).
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"