Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3

    Front derailleur

    Hi, I have a Sram red 2010 crankset with Extralite chainrings (because I wanted a 34-50 combo) and a Sram red 2010 front derailleur (which has known problems with shifting). I ordered a Sram red 2013 derailleur with Yaw technology which sould work better but got the same 2010-2012 derailleur that is allready on my bike. As I cannot find any new Sram derailleur (with Yaw) with a clamp (I need a 34,9 mm clamp) and I dont want to spend money on extra parts (buying the clamp separately) I was thinking gooing with Shimano. I read it works.
    But should I go with the 10-spd Ultegra 6700 derailleur or the newer 11-spd Ultegra 6800 which cost almost the same? Which one would work better with the Sram red 10-spd shifters?

    Thank you for your help.

    Peter

  2. #2
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,724
    Quote Originally Posted by ppahor1 View Post
    Hi, I have a Sram red 2010 crankset with Extralite chainrings (because I wanted a 34-50 combo) and a Sram red 2010 front derailleur (which has known problems with shifting). I ordered a Sram red 2013 derailleur with Yaw technology which sould work better but got the same 2010-2012 derailleur that is allready on my bike. As I cannot find any new Sram derailleur (with Yaw) with a clamp (I need a 34,9 mm clamp) and I dont want to spend money on extra parts (buying the clamp separately) I was thinking gooing with Shimano. I read it works.
    But should I go with the 10-spd Ultegra 6700 derailleur or the newer 11-spd Ultegra 6800 which cost almost the same? Which one would work better with the Sram red 10-spd shifters?

    Thank you for your help.

    Peter
    Your shifters won't work perfectly w/ a YAW derailleur. I'd get a non-YAW steel cage Red or Force derailleur. Either one of those will work great.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Your shifters won't work perfectly w/ a YAW derailleur. I'd get a non-YAW steel cage Red or Force derailleur. Either one of those will work great.
    I read that the yaw derailleur works better even with the old shifters.
    It works! We test SRAM Red backwards compatibility | VeloNews.com

    I do not trust Sram and I would prefer to install a Shimano derailleur if it would work. Does anybody have any expirience with this?

  4. #4
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,724
    You don't trust SRAM? What's that supposed to mean?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You don't trust SRAM? What's that supposed to mean?
    The Sram red 2010 I have on the bike is awfull (and was mounted by a good mechanic). And I read a lot of stories about Sram and poor shifting on the front derrailleur (and even pro riders not using the first models of Sram red on the front) which apparently improved after the introduction of yaw technology. That's why I am afraid that even a pre yaw Sram force will not work as good as a Shimano derailleur.

    Peter

  6. #6
    Off the back
    Reputation: fast ferd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,821
    Sram derailleurs work fine. You could find a Shimano 34.9 adaptor on eBay for cheap. These work well and hardly constitute extra parts.

  7. #7
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,724
    Quote Originally Posted by ppahor1 View Post
    The Sram red 2010 I have on the bike is awfull (and was mounted by a good mechanic). And I read a lot of stories about Sram and poor shifting on the front derrailleur (and even pro riders not using the first models of Sram red on the front) which apparently improved after the introduction of yaw technology. That's why I am afraid that even a pre yaw Sram force will not work as good as a Shimano derailleur.

    Peter
    The original Ti cage Red derailleur was the one that sucked. The pro teams had the option to use the 'Red front derailleur, steel cage' that was basically a Red link w/ a Force cage. I still have a couple laying around somewhere, I ordered a ton of them for teams I worked for. It's exactly the same as any Shimano derailleur and will work just as well. Either brand will get the job done for you.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Similar Threads

  1. Shimano 5700 105 front shifter With 5800 105 front derailleur ?
    By bbohr in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2016, 07:34 PM
  2. Front derailleur front-to-back angle?
    By ctslater in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 03:41 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
  4. How to Attach 105 rear derailleur to derailleur hanger?
    By Jayzonk in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
  5. Campy QS Front Shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur
    By HammerTime-TheOriginal in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •