RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

FSA carbon pro team issue crankset removal?

Need some help in removing the bottom bracket on my Cervelo P3. I have been able to get one of the crank arms off using a crank puller but have not been able to get the drive side crank and ring assembly off. Is it because I need to get the FSA bearing cup ring (sorry not sure what the terminology is) off first?
    Don't have the FSA bearing cup wrench but it looks as if the assembly should slide out nonetheless...thinking that this is why it is not coming out.

Sorry for the lame question but have looked on the NET to no avail. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Is it a ISIS or Octalink crank? Should be a self extracting bolt if it is. As you remove the bolt it will feel easy for the first little bit and then get harder as self extractor pulls on the crank. Might have to use a long arm wrench and a hammer if is stubborn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Isis. Took s mallet to the BB that was sticking out on the non drive side and she won't budge. The removal tool easily pushed out the non drive side crank...just can't get the drive side out.

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member

Should just be the crank puller

that should do it. I have the same crank and I just had the arms off and removed my BB , regreased and retightenend, because of some creaking noise that ended up being the chain and cassette. But when the arms were taken off, all that was needed was the crank arm puller. Mine is also ISIS. If they are frozen on spray them wth wd-40 and let sit overnight. I wouldn't think you'd really need to do that unless the bike was sitting out in the rain for awhile or near salt water alot. Good luck
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    That is a great suggestion. Just gave her a good shot of WD40 around the entire BB from the exposed non-drive side. Just wanted to confirm that I don't have to take off the bearing cup on the drive side before trying to mallot the BB out? I could not find a schematic diagram of our crank setup on the FSA site (would be nice if the could archive some of their older parts) but found one of their modern cranks that seemed similar. Looks to be safe if I do try to mallet it out but wanted to be sure! I don't live in a salty climate and never ride in the rain with it.
    Many thanks EVS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry, one more question, is the thread on the drive side for the BB cup reverse or normal when I get the BB out?

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Depends if it is Italian or English threading.

"mallot the BB out"?????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelott View Post
    Sorry, one more question, is the thread on the drive side for the BB cup reverse or normal when I get the BB out?
    The BB comes out after the cups have been removed. Don't be malloting anything.

I'd assume that Cervelos are english thread - therefore reverse on DS.

BTW you need the correct ISIS BB tool to remove the cups.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member

This link might help....

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...et-service-bbt

It shows a way to remove seized up bb's using a vise. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Sounds like I need to get the drive side bearing cup off first!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    For ISIS BB, One side is a retaining ring/cup and the other is the sealed BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks guys, taking it to my LBS today as I don't have the correct tools. Your responses much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you are doing the sensible thing. for future ref, this is a correct cup removal tool http://www.parktool.com/product/bott...et-tool-bbt-22

and this is a correct crank removal tool (though I use a regular one with a loose stop over the axle end), http://www.parktool.com/product/cran...-cranks-ccp-44

Last edited by bikerjulio; 06-18-2012 at 04:44 AM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all your help. LBS had it off in 5 min. Not seized at all, just didn't realize that the crank puller had to be used on both sides of the crank. I now know but will be switching over to a King BB and DA cranks.