RoadBikeReview Member

FSA headset - split crown race

Was just installing my new FSA Orbit UF headset--when I pulled it out of the box I saw that it had a split crown race. Checked the documentation, and sure enough it's part of their design--to make it "easier" or something like that. Seemed to go together just fine, but seems kind of weird. Who else does this besides FSA?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

great improvement...

Nothing is easier than installing an integrated headset with no tools. The crown race will go on or off by hand. Removing an old crown race used to be a major pain.

LOOK uses FSA headsets on all their frames. The HSC5 fork goes one step further by eliminating the crown race entirely. The race is formed right into the steering tube. Whether this is really an improvement is yet to be seen. I've had a creak come and go from the head tube area. After weeks of silence, the creak came back last week. It was so annoying I stopped on the road, loosened the stem bolts and top cap, allowing the fork to drop down slightly. Gave the fork and stem a twist, then tightened everything back up and the creak disappeared. I suspect the CF crown rae may be the culprit. It has to stay lubed. I've had no such problem with the HSC4 fork using the split crown race (same stem and bars).
    Last edited by C-40; 08-13-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    One of my LOOK's came with a split crown race. I never had any problems with it. I actually liked it better. It was a hell of a lot easier to install
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Just kind of freaked me out a bit. I'm sure it will work fine.