RoadBikeReview Member

Question Fsa K Wing Handlebar

After breaking my Easton EC90 equipe Handlebar,(Disclaimer, not the fault of the bar), I have bought a Fsa K wing.

Those who already own this bar, how far do you wrap the bar tape. (please post a picture)

And those who stop before the flat part of the bar,do you get any hand slipping on the bare carbon.

The "sandpaper" that comes with the bar, do you use it and if so where did you put it.

What? Me worry?
    I went to FSA K-Wing bars about a month ago, and I'm very happy with them. I wrapped the tape all the way up to the opening where the cables exit the bar (over the flat part). There is no "right" way to wrap them, go with what you like. Tape is cheap and you can change it later. I didn't use any sandpaper and haven't had anything slip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fsa K Wing Handlebar-scott-cr1a.jpg  
    Last edited by StillRiding; 12-14-2006 at 10:38 AM.

C 1/5
    I taped to here. Never had any problems with hands slipping even without gloves in the summer, and never used the sandpaper. My disclaimer is that I no longer use these, as it was difficult to mount lights etc for commuting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The tear drop shaped "sandpaper" are intended to be stuck on the flat section that isn't taped. I used them for a while and wore through a pair of gloves. The "sand" started coming off, leaving just the plastic base layer. I took them off 2+ years ago and never put anything back on.

There are many things I don't care for about the K-Wings after going on 4 years of use but I think a search will find the previous mentions of this. I wouldn't buy them again although I have really grown to like the wing section on the tops.

Tourist
    I have them wrapped all the way, with double layer of tape even. I'm not crazy about these bars, but I like the flat section near the shifters. I find the slope of the wing section to be too high. Didn't use the internal routing at the time, didn't know how to do it. I've used this setup for many centuries in the last couple years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fsa K Wing Handlebar-kwing.jpg  

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by X'd Out
    After breaking my Easton EC90 equipe Handlebar,(Disclaimer, not the fault of the bar), I have bought a Fsa K wing.

Those who already own this bar, how far do you wrap the bar tape. (please post a picture)

And those who stop before the flat part of the bar,do you get any hand slipping on the bare carbon.

The "sandpaper" that comes with the bar, do you use it and if so where did you put it.
    I put the sandpaper under the flat section in the concave area. I didn't tape the flat section. I live in warm and humid Hawaii and have never had a problem with my gloved or bare hands slipping on the carbon section. I like mine, but they do limit me on mounting anything. A friend of mine has them and uses the computer extension that FSA sells to mount his lightweight headlight. I tried mounting my NR to my commuter mount and it seems a little shaky. I also miss the ability to mount clip on bars for the occassional time trial.
    Retired sailor

buccwwylld
    Jan 2006
    nice bars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    2 years of use and still love them. I did the internal routing with my Record shifters and it gives a nice clean look and feel to the front of the bike. I also only wrapped up to where the flat tops start, leaving them exposed showing the carbon and logos. Absolutely no issues with slipping. Love the second flat just behind the mounting site for the shifters. Mine are on a full carbon Fondriest P4 and the bars are wrapped with carbon fiber look tape, black cables and black Record brakes---a nice stealthy but classy carbon cockpit look. Wouldn't trade these bars in for anything else out there for this particular setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I'm getting these bars for Christmas - or at least I expect to get them. My plan is to tape them up to the flat sections. If I have any problems, I'll just retape them across the top.
    "It's supposed to be a challenge; it's a shortcut! If it were easy
    it would just be the way." - Road Trip

MING
    Mar 2004
    a guy i ride with put them on a ceilo (like peirre). i wrapped those to just past the bend, leaving the tops open. i did the same thing with my itm k sword, i like the way my fingers fit in the groove on the underside of the flats. on both i used the internal routing. the problem with these is if you run a flight deck computer, theres no good place to put the wires.

RoadBikeReview Member

Not K-wing, but I use the FSA Alloy Wing Pro...

on the rain commuter bike and I wrap them all the way to the FSA logo.
    This gives just enough tape section for my palms.

I prefer them this way. I tried other flat-top CF bars that were not tape and did not care for it. With or without gloves.
    I usally ride with or without gloves.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin