Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?

Does anyone use these or has anyone tried them? I'm looking for some new handlebars. They make a white one and an alloy one that's black. I know that handlebars are a personal preference, but I don't have the ability to try a bunch since there's only two bike stores in the area. Carbon seems crazy expensive and since I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix on tubeless tires, I'm not looking for vibration dampening as much as some others might be.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    I've got them on my bike (black alloy). I really like them.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I ran them on two bikes. I had issues with the finish bubbling up around the stem. Seems the white powdercoat was a little thick. It was a Thomson stem and properly torqued.

I switched them to a Ritchey Evo-Curve which is very similar and very comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    I've got them on my bike (black alloy). I really like them.
    What specifically do you like? Do you have experience with other bars? I've been running the stock specialized bars and I don't like the drops... also figured I would like the flat part before the hoods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I ran them on two bikes. I had issues with the finish bubbling up around the stem. Seems the white powdercoat was a little thick. It was a Thomson stem and properly torqued.

I switched them to a Ritchey Evo-Curve which is very similar and very comfortable.
    I wonder if that's a common occurance with the white paint? Does the Ritchey evo-curve have the flat area near the hoods? I looked at them and they seem to be the standard round shape.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rd View Post
    What specifically do you like? Do you have experience with other bars? I've been running the stock specialized bars and I don't like the drops... also figured I would like the flat part before the hoods.
    Mostly I like the shallowness of the bars (I know there are other bars with the same geometry) and how they flare out slightly on the bar ends. Very comfortable in the drops. Of course the flat top is nice but I don't ride in that position too much.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Had both compacts and the regular Wing bars. Plusses: the flat on the top is WAY comfy for JRAing or climbing. The compact's drop/bend is out of the way of your wrists when sprinting.

Minus for the regular Wing is that I didn't like the shape of the drops. ...but that's me. (and not what you asked)

Just remember that the compact bars are just that: compact. Shorter front to back at the hoods than what you're riding now. May need to go with a slightly longer stem.

HTH

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are nice handlebars. I've got black ones on my Waterford, and I like the shallow drop. The tops are a little wider/flatter than I prefer, but maybe I'm just getting used to them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?-waterford-build-1.jpg   FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?-waterford-build-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I use them on all my bikes and love them for the following reason:

Shallow drops make it easier to stay in drop position.

Flat top has the perfect shape and angle unlike some other flat top bars

Bend going from tops into the brake levers is not too tight.

Brake levers can be positioned so they are level with the top of the bars.

Price is very reasonable especially if you shop around or buy used on ebay.

It just felt natural to me from the first minute I put them on.

As mentioned above, the drops flare out at the ends and this where they measure the width, so I ended up a 42cm instead of my usual 40cm to get the same width across the levers.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    I've got them too. I'd say the shallow drops are the best part. I'm actually just so-so on the flat tops. When I had angle of the bars where I wanted them for how the drops felt the position (angle) of the flat wasn't right for me. So I had to compromise a bit of comfort on the drops for comfort on the tops.

If I had it to do over again I might chose the FSA Omega Compact Handlebar. The difference between the Omega Compact and the FSA Wing Compact is the fact that the Omega has traditional round tops, not the flattened ergonomic "Wing" tops of the Wing Compact. Cheaper too. But heavier

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    +2 I've got a set on both of my road bikes. Cheap and fantastically comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    I've got them too. I'd say the shallow drops are the best part. I'm actually just so-so on the flat tops. When I had angle of the bars where I wanted them for how the drops felt the position (angle) of the flat wasn't right for me. So I had to compromise a bit of comfort on the drops for comfort on the tops.

If I had it to do over again I might chose the FSA Omega Compact Handlebar. The difference between the Omega Compact and the FSA Wing Compact is the fact that the Omega has traditional round tops, not the flattened ergonomic "Wing" tops of the Wing Compact. Cheaper too. But heavier
    Do you have a picture of how the flat tops end up with your configuration? I'm looking to get the top level, so the hoods are fairly far forward, or rotated down a bit more than what is pictured on the posted pic in this thread.
    My LBS is going to check out my position tomorrow and figure out what stem length/angle I might need, so I'll have a better idea of what I need. I've never tried a flat top, but I like to ride right behind the hoods almost 1/2 on the rubber (SRAM) and half off. I figured the flat bar would feel good.

Uber Clyde
    I just recently switched from a regular bar to the wing pro compact.
    Only have a few rides on it so far....but loving it.
    Ill try to post up a picture of the tops and drops angles when i get home.
    Its everything i was looking for in a bar so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone have any pictures? The ones on the website don't really show the flat parts. Are they as noticeable as the FSA K Wing compact carbon handlebars? BTW, those look really sweet, but VERY expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Uber Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rd View Post
    Anyone have any pictures? The ones on the website don't really show the flat parts. Are they as noticeable as the FSA K Wing compact carbon handlebars? BTW, those look really sweet, but VERY expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I would say they are not as flat as the k wing. On the k wing i believe the flats are raised up above the height of the clamp area.
    Here are a couple pics.
    Hopefully the angles came out.
    Looks like somehow my phone rotated the pics, but u get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?-uploadfromtaptalk1326642147742.jpg   FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?-uploadfromtaptalk1326642162779.jpg   FSA Wing Pro Compact Aluminum handlebars?-uploadfromtaptalk1326642180687.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I've been using one for 2 months and like it. Price is decent and the weight is as advertised. My reason for choosing this over others is the bend shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I will try to post some later today

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like everyone is happy with them. However, I'm not noticing much "flatness" or at least not as much as I was expecting which leads me down another route. If I give up the flat section, Pro has a good handlebar called the Pro Vibe 7s and the PLT compact that both seem good. Any thoughts?

Uber Clyde
    While it may not be as flat as a k wing, it is very comfortable.
    Coming from a round bar, having recently switched to the wing pro, you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get me to part with it. ;)
    Like with saddles, comfort is very subjective....so ymmv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I love mine went from standard bars to the FSA swallow drop and what a difference. Makes riding in the drops such a treat.Should have changed a long time ago.

I ride in circles..
    Have them on my SuperSix.. love them. Great shape.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Most comfortable bars I've tried, and they look good too!
    Gunnar Roadie with SRAM
    Gunnar Crosshairs with Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    These are on sale online at Helen's for $45. 42 and 44cm available:

FSA Wing Pro Compact Road Handlebar (OE), Online Price Only - Helens Cycles Santa Monica California

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bars are nice! However be aware that the white bars are very slick, to the point where Sram shifters will slide around on it no matter how much it's torqued. In that case, a little sandpaper is your friend!
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I've got 'em.

If I had it to do over, I'd have bought one size higher. They're measured at the ends of the drops. Where I mount my brake hoods, they feel like they run about a size small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast