Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Gap between front derailleur and crankarm

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PoorCyclist 
#1 ·
On my felt Z85 I replaced the stock bottom bracket (all internal bearings) and crank (FSA Vero) with a Red setup using a GXP bottom bracket. I did not install the spacer that came with the BB, I read it's only needed for MTN bikes. I had to adjust the front derailleur because it was coming on contact with the crank arm. In order to get the front upshift to work it has to be really close, looks like 1-2 mm of spacing between the derailleur and crank arm. Is this okay?

#2 ·
as long as it's not touching - it's OK.

the outer limit screw should be set up in the big-little combo, with just enough chain clearance to avoid rub.

#3 ·
the red have kind of fat arms towards the inside compared to the flatter arms of the Vero, that's probably why. I also ran into this problem while initially setting up the FD.

If you make your front derailleur as low as functionally possible, and make sure you didn't angle the derailleur out towards at the back too much, it makes a big difference in clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.