Devoid of all flim-flam

Garmin 500 to 520

I want to upgrade my Garmin 500 to the 520. Will my 500 model accessories work with it? Can I just mount the 520 onto the bicycle and just start pedaling? Do I need to buy the bundle, as well?
    Last edited by Mapei; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:00 PM.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I found the appropriate info on the website. As Gilda Radner used to say, "Never mind!"
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yes it will.

on a related note, i find the reading on the 500 easier to read then the 520 in certain sunlight situations

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Yes it will.

on a related note, i find the reading on the 500 easier to read then the 520 in certain sunlight situations
    Yep, it's easier to read than all the new screens without using the backlight although the 1030 (and probably 1000) are easier to read at a glance due to the higher resolution and larger screen.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yep, it's easier to read than all the new screens without using the backlight although the 1030 (and probably 1000) are easier to read at a glance due to the higher resolution and larger screen.
    I'm old. That means that issues like what model of cycling computer should I buy starts first and foremost with the feature of how big is the screen. Is it big enough that I can read it?

I have the Garmin 1000. It's a great performing computer. I only wish the booger eating morons in Garmin support performed as well. The foremost reason I chose that specific model was for the size of the screen. The 520 no doubt is an excellent computer in terms of features. But its screen might as well be invisible for me because of its small size.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    I'm old. That means that issues like what model of cycling computer should I buy starts first and foremost with the feature of how big is the screen. Is it big enough that I can read it?

I have the Garmin 1000. It's a great performing computer. I only wish the booker eating morons in Garmin support performed as well. The foremost reason I chose that specific model was for the size of the screen. The 520 no doubt is an excellent computer in terms of featurs. But its screen might as well be invisible for me because of its small size.

i chose the 810 for the big screen as well. but i finally got hit with a feature i didn't like, its very susceptible to rain that messes with the altimer and i find i'm really dependent on that feature when i climb. it really messed me up on my ride through the Pyrenees where it rained all week. The newer Garmins have the altimiter hole in a better locations so i may wind up with the 1030 in a few months. otherwise i agree stick with the older units if they work for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm old too, so that was the reason I bought it to (larger screen) replace my 820 which one of my sons is using now. I've been very happy with the 1030 screen so far - works well with gloves on or off, just need to change the sensitivity setting to high for gloves. Its very easy to see in any light with the auto brightness doing its thing. I rode with a light drizzle / mist but no hard downpours yet so can't vouch for the claims that it won't respond to rain drops, but fingers crossed that proves to be true also.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett