A wheelist

Garmin Edge 200. Any owner reports yet?

Anyone have a Garmin Edge 200 and have an opinion on it yet?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I picked one up about 1 month ago. It works as advertised. It finds the satellites quickly so far in all weather and from within trees and buildings. The Calorie cal is way off but that is not a surprise. I have used if for biking and running with no issues. What else would you like to know?
    2009 Specialized S-Works Carbon Tricoss
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    Gary Fisher Tassahara

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by moralleper View Post
    I picked one up about 1 month ago. It works as advertised. It finds the satellites quickly so far in all weather and from within trees and buildings.
    That's good to hear.

The Calorie cal is way off but that is not a surprise.
    That feature wouldn't interest me as there is no way, outside of pure chance, that it could be accurate.

What else would you like to know?
    How's its accuracy (distance, average speed)?
    Any freeze-ups or loss of data mid-ride?

Thanks for the info.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Distances seem to be fairly good based on comparison to other odometers. The average speed I feel is pretty good if you take the total time and distance. The current speed is fine if you are moving at a constant speed since it gets this info from the plot points on the GPS. For example if you stop abruptly you will not see zero right away until the GPS knows you stop, this does seem to be acceptable though as lag is not that large, 1-3 secs. I have had a couple of plots that were off on the map on the website but distance was still pretty accurate. I have not had any freeze ups or loss of data of any kind. To me it was worth the $114 it cost me.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    Gary Fisher Tassahara

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by moralleper View Post
    Distances seem to be fairly good based on comparison to other odometers. The average speed I feel is pretty good if you take the total time and distance. The current speed is fine if you are moving at a constant speed since it gets this info from the plot points on the GPS. For example if you stop abruptly you will not see zero right away until the GPS knows you stop, this does seem to be acceptable though as lag is not that large, 1-3 secs. I have had a couple of plots that were off on the map on the website but distance was still pretty accurate. I have not had any freeze ups or loss of data of any kind. To me it was worth the $114 it cost me.
    That sounds good. My stop-start on my wireless Sigma is not totally instantaneous. Just as a check I'll be running both units at the same time. But then I won't know which one is not right - if either of them are. It's like this from my Quotations stash - "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

Where did you find one at $114?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Where did you find one at $114?

Um, yeah. Where did you get it at that price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I got mine at biketiresdirect.com they are 149 with 15% off and you get 10% in points.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    Gary Fisher Tassahara

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I got it today. Garmin dumbed it down to much to get people to buy their higher priced products. Not enough features. It's going back.
    2014 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Ultegra 6800, Hed C 2 rims.
    2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Ultegra, Pacenti SL 23 rims.
    Moots VaMoots, Dura-Ace, Pacenti SL 23 rims

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    I got it today. Garmin dumbed it down to much to get people to buy their higher priced products. Not enough features. It's going back.
    I've zero interest in cadence and heart rate so it's the perfect one for me. The 500 with features I don't want is too much $. To each their own I guess eh?

So I take the opposing view to you. I would never buy the 500 (or higher) but I'll buy the 200 if it works well.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 12-25-2011 at 08:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    You can't even see what time it is on the thing.

A wheelist
    You can't even see what time it is on the thing.
    That's not important for me. If, for some unknown reason, I need to know (and I never do) I'll use my cell phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    More power to you..I just think they removed too many features that should be standard. Limiting the information on the screen so much was too far for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're right. Since it's the lowest price market segment, they limit features so as not to cannibalize market segments that will pay more for more capable devices. How to optimally divvy up features and performance over a product range is always a tough and fuzzy question. If you don't buy this model and instead get the next model up, they've done their job. If you buy somebody else's product, they missed the mark in your case.

It's called "segmenting the market." There is a big population of potential and varied customers and the business problem becomes designing a range of products to maximize the money they can extract from the market. With this one, they aimed at the customer that wants the simplest device and is willing to pay a bit more for that simplicity than they would for a traditional cyclometer that would require mounting and setting up either wired or wireless wheel sensors. Realize a fair number of people wouldn't attempt this themselves and would bring the bike into the shop to have it done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Yes I understand how market segmentation works but I think Garmin has gotten too greedy here.
    The next higher model is $100 more which is too much. I could live with $50 more for a 500 but not $100. My iPhone 4s has lots of great apps and a ton of cases and attachments Apparently Garmin has not learned their lesson from smartphone maps killing their car related GPS market and driving the prices down to nothing. Its just not worth it to me to have a GPS device that shows 3 or 4 things on the screen so I can have GPS, no wires, and easy setup.
    My guess is that if the 5 minutes it takes to setup a bike computer is too much for you then you probably aren't buying a $150 device. But i could be wrong.
    I realize this device at $150 is fine for a lot of people, I'm not denigrating the purchase.