RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Gatorskin Hardshell and Grand Prix Season 4

I did do lots of searching before posting here, maybe not enough but I kind of ran into a dead end so I am hoping someone here has had experience with one or both of these tires. I sent this question to Continental but have not heard anything back yet. From what I understand from looking at their catalog both of these tires have very good puncture resistance. I am not sure about the other characteristics which is why I was looking for some clarification.

I am getting some new tires for my road bike (700x25) and need some advice. I am thinking about either the Gatorskin Hardshell or the Grand Prix 4 Season.

I ride mostly on side streets and bike paths and had issues with flats so I started using heavy duty puncture resistant tubes and that took care of the problem, but I am getting a new bike and want to use regular tubes again so I wanted a tire with good puncture resistance.

I donít ride in bad weather and I mostly stick ride in the summer months when it is warm outside.

I would like a tire that lasts a long time, and I donít do any racing or high speed riding, mostly at a moderate pace for longer distances (up to 30 mile or so per ride).

Which of the two (Gatorskin Hardshell and Grand Prix Season 4) would have better puncture resistance and which would have more durability as far as treadwear?

I see that the Grand Prix Season 4 has a bit more tread to it, versus the Gatorskin Hardshell is bald in the middle, but again I try not to ride in the rain or bad whether anyway so I guess that would not be a concern.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rub it............
    If you want ultimate durability/tread wear then go with either one of the following 3.

Gatorskin Hardshell
    Bontrager Hardcase
    Specialized Armadillo

Tread design is just that. A design. Makes it look pretty. Unlike on a automobile tire, the "tread pattern" has zero impact on the performance of the tire.

A bicycle tire is so thin that in wet conditions it cuts down through the water with very little, if any, chance of hydroplaning.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    So it looks like the Gatorskin Hardshell would have better puncture protection than the Grand Prix 4 Season? That actually would suit me fine as the GP are more expensive.

Rub it............
    I use the Gatorskins (not the Hardcase) and have yet to flat (knock on wood).

The biggest difference is the Hardshell casing runs from bead to bead, where as the GP4s only has the Vectran belt in the tread area.

So its probably a 6 to 1 type of thing.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.