Thread: Giro Pneumo

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Question Giro Pneumo

The wicking fabric on my helmet pads is coming loose. Anyone know where to get replacements? Went to Giro website but it didn't seem to be much help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try e-mailing Giro customer service. I had some problems a few years ago with the pads and retention system not adhering to the foam and the sent me a set of velcro stickers to replace the worn out ones with charging me. They are realy nice to work with.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorow." James Dean

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

800 number

Call Giro on 800-456-2355. They sent me replacement pads for free, no questions asked.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm....I see a trend here. Same thing happened to my '05 Bell SweepR. Contacted Bell, they said to send it back.

Roadbike Rider

I have the same problem with Pneumo

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Call Giro on 800-456-2355. They sent me replacement pads for free, no questions asked.
    I tried contact cement but it only held for a few months. I will call Giro

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I just bought a Pneumo last year. I wear it almost daily, and the straps are really filthy. Any suggestions on how to clean them?
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Soap & water?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    I just bought a Pneumo last year. I wear it almost daily, and the straps are really filthy. Any suggestions on how to clean them?
    The lazy way to do it is to just run warm water in a sink, and squirt a bunch of liquid soap in there, swish things around a few times, and then let the helmet float in the water with the straps dangling down. You can get more aggresive by actually working the liquid soap into the straps and pads, and then rinsing things well. That's a little more work though

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Tried email with no luck, so called 800 number and new pad kit is on the way. Thanks!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    The lazy way to do it is to just run warm water in a sink, and squirt a bunch of liquid soap in there, swish things around a few times, and then let the helmet float in the water with the straps dangling down. You can get more aggresive by actually working the liquid soap into the straps and pads, and then rinsing things well. That's a little more work though
    Thanks Kerry. That worked great. I soaked them for about 30 min., then scrubbed them with a stiff brush. Looks like new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

washing helmet

I read this in Bicycling Magazinge and it works--lather up you hair with shampoo in the shower and then put your helmet on and work it through your soapy hair. Make sure you get the straps soapy as well. rinse and air dry.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez28
    Tried email with no luck, so called 800 number and new pad kit is on the way. Thanks!
    Handy to know. My Pneumo is about 2 years old and the pads are trashed. I was wondering what I was going to do ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John
    Hmmm....I see a trend here. Same thing happened to my '05 Bell SweepR. Contacted Bell, they said to send it back.
    This thread inspired me to call Bell customer service today as both my Bell Sweeps have pads that have gone south on me. I was treated politely, they took my information and I was told that two sets of replacement pads will be coming my way, but that I should expect it to take a couple of weeks before I get them. Made me happy.
    '00 TiSports Titanium - DA 9 speed------.--- '01 KHS Flite 800 - DA/Utegra 9 speed mix
    Ellsworth Flight - Ultegra 10 speed -..'03 Basso Coral - Ultegra 10 speed
    '03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
    '05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -..... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
    '05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--......-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elindemann
    I read this in Bicycling Magazinge and it works--lather up you hair with shampoo in the shower and then put your helmet on and work it through your soapy hair. Make sure you get the straps soapy as well. rinse and air dry.
    ROLF!! Lather up WHAT hair? Wanna see me? Watch Dr. Phil's show. We could be clones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Wow. I'd found a place in Europe that sells replacement pad kits for the Pneumo. The shipping was about twice as much as the pad kit but I was going to order them anyway since I could not find them anywhere else. Then I did one last Google search and found this thread.

I just got off the phone with Giro and the free replacement pads are on order and she said they should be here within a week. A big thank you, Kerry!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I am stationed in Singapore and have asked for Giro USA for replacement of the padding. Email replied was they couldnt shipped out of USA thus ask me to approach the local distributor.

Local distributor then email me to purchase the inner padding. Why is there a double standard on the sweat padding? My wife and myself both using Giro helmet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    My goodness. I'd totally forgotten that I had posted a message about the free pads until the email reply alert I just received. That was nearly 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyway, I received my free replacement pads from Giro back in August 2006 and they are still holding up very well.

As to why they will not ship outside of the USA, I don't know. The only thing I can think of would be the increased shipping cost. Do you have any friends or relatives in the States who could contact Giro and have the pads sent to them? They could then forward you the package.

Jeff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    After reading this thread, I called Giro quick like a bunny and ordered me a set of pads for my Pnuemo. Last year I bought a new Atmos mainly because I figured it would cost $20 or so for a new set of pads, and I got the Atmos at a great deal. But when I called Giro, they said they would send out a set at no charge! That is great customer service! Granted, the upper end Giro's are not cheap, but you don't mind paying a little more when the company takes care of it's customers- Thank you Giro!

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclust
    After reading this thread, I called Giro quick like a bunny and ordered me a set of pads for my Pnuemo. Last year I bought a new Atmos mainly because I figured it would cost $20 or so for a new set of pads, and I got the Atmos at a great deal. But when I called Giro, they said they would send out a set at no charge! That is great customer service! Granted, the upper end Giro's are not cheap, but you don't mind paying a little more when the company takes care of it's customers- Thank you Giro!

good for you... giro has new models this yr, no more pneumo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Pneumo Pads Still Available

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    good for you... giro has new models this yr, no more pneumo
    First Post: With the pads disintegrating on my '03 Pneumo, I searched for replacements and found this posting. When I called Easton/Giro a moment ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they still have pads available for this helmet - a new set are on their way, no charge. Good product, good company! Thanks for posting this info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I found a replacement set online for $5. They only have the small size, but they fit my M/L Pneumo just fine. Just google 'Pneumo Pads' and you should find them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bent steel
    I found a replacement set online for $5. They only have the small size, but they fit my M/L Pneumo just fine. Just google 'Pneumo Pads' and you should find them.
    not sure why buying them is preferable over getting them for free.

just got my free set a couple of weeks ago...all it cost me was the electricity to send an email with my mailing address.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry, reading is my second language.