Excuses are for the weak.

Smile Gore Professional or Shimano Dura Ace PTFE cables?

Just receiving the last few parts before getting my LBS to build my new bike. Have done a bit of research and can't determine which shifter/brake cables to go for.
    I'm fitting Shimano Dura Ace 7900 groupset to my Pinarello Dogma2 frame with M.O.S.T. integrated stem/handlebars.
    Some people, it seems, rave about Gore cable systems and suggest that it's the most responsive. Others have stated that Dura Ace PTFE cables are better suited to Shimano groupsets and to go that way.
    The price difference is marginal, being around $65 for Shimano and $85 for Gore. Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice and give me some feedback on their experiences with these cables?

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Go with the DA.

I tried the Gore (Sealed Low-Friction) on my 6700 bike and didn't care for them at all. They were more like Sealed Hi-Drag. After three months I thought I'd give myself carpal tunnel trying to shift the thing. Swapped for the DA and have been in heaven since. I like them so much I've even put them on my Sora bike. (!)

$65 for the DA is a rip-off. They were $35 at my LBS for heaven's sake. Online, a little less than $30 here. or just over $30 here. Housing comes in several colors too.

Spokane, Washington
    I agree with the Shimano brand cable recommendation. There's nothing magic about cables; good quality stainless slick inner cables along with properly cut, trimmed, routed and installed housing make for happy shifting.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with brucew on Gore cables. I installed a set of Yokozuna cables which work very nicely, particularly braking due to their unique housing (compressionless like shifter housings) but were a bit of PITA to install due to the stiff housing with slightly larger ODs. IMO, any decent brand-name cable/housing set will work well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I used the Gore and DA and I would go for the DA, the gore cable itself has a clear coat on them and the coating "shreds" everywhere you nick or clamp down on the cable. And I don't even mind the extra steps to install it, but it doesn't work that well.. the grub seal gets smashed on my RD and quickly torn apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Go with the DA.

I tried the Gore (Sealed Low-Friction) on my 6700 bike and didn't care for them at all. They were more like Sealed Hi-Drag. After three months I thought I'd give myself carpal tunnel trying to shift the thing. Swapped for the DA and have been in heaven since. I like them so much I've even put them on my Sora bike. (!)

$65 for the DA is a rip-off. They were $35 at my LBS for heaven's sake. Online, a little less than $30 here. or just over $30 here. Housing comes in several colors too.
    +1 Go with Shimano. Gore has to much friction and the teflon breaks down on the cable causing more friction. never had good luck with Gore.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Wow!

With all the hype about the Gore being the greatest thing since Campagnolo invented the quick-release, I thought I was leading with a dissenting position. Seems my experience with them wasn't abnormal at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    +1 Go with Shimano. Gore has to much friction and the teflon breaks down on the cable causing more friction. never had good luck with Gore.
    But teflon is a brand name of PTFE! How come Shimano's teflon doesn't break down while Gore's does? That's weird.
    It's the same polymer in both cases.

EDIT:
    ok, I've found the answer here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...88&postcount=5

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Gore cables aren't 'teflon' coated, they're coated w/ a Gore-Tex membrane...that's why they're called GORE cables and not TEFLON cables.
    Therefore it's not the same polymer.
    Last edited by CAADEL; 04-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.