Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Gravitas Carbon Crank Arrived

I'll have more data in the coming days...

carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    holy bling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Face palm. Silly design and bad engineering. Three parallel tubes with the same weight as one properly designed tube will be much less rigid. Or, a properly designed single tube of the same rigidity will be lighter.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Face palm. Silly design and bad engineering. Three parallel tubes with the same weight as one properly designed tube will be much less rigid. Or, a properly designed single tube of the same rigidity will be lighter.
    But it won't look as cool! Don't you get it? Bling is a more reliable than performance for selling overpriced things to your average middle aged guy with too much money to spend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Are we going to get all the armchair engineers to chime in now?

Do you own one?

You do realize these have been over a year in development and are in the process of receiving certification as one of the lightest and stiffest crank sets on the market...?

Just sayin, enjoy the picture. I'll have a follow up review in the coming weeks and if you search around some of the other forums will already see reviews indicating they are the real deal. Hopefully my experience is on par with others. I'm looking forward to it and applaud another smaller US based company at its creation for our sport.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshirama View Post
    But it won't look as cool! Don't you get it? Bling is a more reliable than performance for selling overpriced things to your average middle aged guy with too much money to spend.
    He'd be faster if he spent that money on a coach and trained. I guess many will always think you can buy speed.

If you like how your bike looks....................cool, I guess. But if you are looking at it riding..................you crash.

If you look at your bike in the garage...............you're not riding.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So grumpy. You must ride a steel frame with index shifters?

I think they wont be any less reliable then the 1200g frame, 1500g carbon clinchers and the battery that powers a derailleur.

I'm sure the product will market very well to your generalized demographic. Weight weenies and tech heads will rejoice and poor college students on fixed bikes can complain, its the way of the world

Lighten up, its just bike parts.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ted acknowledged the torsional stress skepticism on bikeradar. Supposedly by design it's the end pins themselves that deal with it as opposed to the bonding interface. It's very hard to imagine unless we looked at a graphical stress analysis - which I'd love to see because I can't tell if the integrity is by inflated specification or actually by design.

Supposedly a single CF bar was really hard to bend in the first place, so twisting it would be quite the challenge.

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    You do realize these have been over a year in development and are in the process of receiving certification as one of the lightest and stiffest crank sets on the market...?
    Your a dealer of Zero G / Gravitas components right? Your honest, unbiased opinion and feedback would be most appreciated. However not very likely.

Certified by who exactly? Is this some new service being offered up by NASA?
    This mssg brought to you by Mr. Bananas.

Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Since when does development time have anything to do with quality or sound engineering? This is marketing driven design. Good luck with your sales of it, I'm sure the cranks have healthy margins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    He'd be faster if he spent that money on a coach and trained. I guess many will always think you can buy speed.

If you like how your bike looks....................cool, I guess. But if you are looking at it riding..................you crash.

If you look at your bike in the garage...............you're not riding.
    What middle aged guy cares about speed? It all about looks! Most of those expensive Porsches never get to crank out all their horsepower. They all just sit in a garage and look pretty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if they paint the middle tube gold, that would quite noticable if not already

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Is there some kind of cover that goes over the arms? It looks "unfinished" to me. Kind of big and clunky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dualpivot View Post
    Since when does development time have anything to do with quality or sound engineering? This is marketing driven design. Good luck with your sales of it, I'm sure the cranks have healthy margins.
    Actually, you're wrong. Dead wrong. It's not the original design. This one allows more weight reduction and more stiffness. They're also testing a sl version with two tubes on each side instead of 3. In the end I find it butt ugly and they're only about 12-16 weeks late (Ted tends to be really bad at that kind of stuff), my current crankset is about 40-50g lighter and much cheaper, but its a big change in design and its nice to see something different.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I was reading these will be stiffer than dura ace cranks. Which is great because when you see guys like Cavendish turning dura ace it's pretty obvious these will meet the extra stiffness needs of middle age weekend warriors on the Internet.

Darling of The Lounge
    I'm getting hungry just looking at them.

They remind me of carbon fiber-coated Slim Jim's and would look great on my 20 lbs steel framed bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very interesting, not my style, but still cool. I would second the slightly clunky appearance, but I will wait to see them installed and then take a second look.

Still cool, thanks very much for sharing.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member

Gravitas Carbon Crank Arrived

That crank looks great I hope it ends up being ultra stiff too.
    I love the way Ted pushes the envelope. I have the zg gravitas brakes. They are super cool looking on my new bike. And yes it is about bling. Everything I've read about these carbon brakes say they are better then the brakes I had before TRP 970SL those brakes work great but Teds are allot lighter wow. Keep pushing Ted and I'll keep buying.

Velocipediologist
    Where did the Lord of Carbon go?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Gravitas - The ability to remove large sums of money from your bank account for over priced carbon parts. Gravitas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    Your a dealer of Zero G / Gravitas components right? Your honest, unbiased opinion and feedback would be most appreciated. However not very likely.

Certified by who exactly? Is this some new service being offered up by NASA?
    It's spelled "you're"...

When did I ever say I was certifying anything? I'll give my impressions of the product once I've had real time on it and by real I mean In a few races and after a few centuries before I follow up.

Meanwhile the product is undergoing independent testing and my post was to let you know it is real and is available.

Do you think NASA does wind tunnel testing for Zipp as well...? I mean, I also sell Zipp wheels too but I don't see a lot of folks on here complaining about that.

I sell 14 different brands and discontinued my line over a year ago. Funny, when I discuss the Campagnolo carbon crank I also ride, and have the ability to sell, no one is arms in air about it, even though it's the same price as the Gravitas which has the ability to run in any length, has a hot swappable spider and once tested will prove to be lighter and stiffer, but you continue to go ahead and judge the product based on internet pictures...

The only thing "not likely" is you having anything to contribute to this thread so do us all a favor and rank up more posts and rep power on the Lounge forum. All I see is poor spelling and lame jokes.

You should know by now that after 18 years doing this dance on internet forums, I am not here to make a buck off of you and would rather be straight up about bikes then come off as some used car salesman trying to sell you on something that's not real.

The crank is real, it's light and let's face it its expensive. It's expensive because Ted can barely make 3 in a full day. It's expensive because Ted took his time making it right and it's expensive because of the materials. These tubes are from the same supplier of high mod tunes like the ones found on my C59. If you want "cheap" then no, this is not for you. If you want unique, new, light, stiff, functional and cool, you now have another option.

Otherwise enjoy your FSA, your Zipp, your Campy carbon cranks and go ride, but spare us the armchair soap opera wanna be comedian responses. It only makes you look like one of two things, neither of which look as good as this crank

Cheers.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    Where did the Lord of Carbon go?
    If by go, you mean my line of products, I decided to cease production of my line last year. When I first started offering carbon parts there weren't a lot of options. Again most would say I did it to make money when in fact I sourced it because I was not satisfied with what else was on the market at the time.

It's been 16 years and a lot has happened in that time. There are so many great companies who make awesome products now that I saw no need to be simply another supplier of carbon bars, posts, cranks and components but still wanted to be the point man for the products I myself personally use, race and believe in. Whether its an "Italian" 3T bar made in Asia or a carbon brake set made in Georgia if I was interested in it and raced it would try and see if I could pick it up and promote its sale.

I may go back and refine the true "carbonLORD" offerings but my goal now is to have my brand on another's product now. I started with apparel, having Castelli and Pearl Izumi make my jerseys and will have Ted brand my logo on his parts one day. Hopefully I can have a carbonLORD Edition on several lines, the only distinction being that is available only in black.

Until then, I'll continue to do what I do, ride it, race it, break it, sell it (not in that order I hope) and talk about it on here and any other forum that will entertain my rants.

But I'm still here, after 18 years... For those true old schoolers who remember mtbr before rep power or RBR, you know what I'm saying.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Gravitas - The ability to remove large sums of money from your bank account for over priced carbon parts. Gravitas
    Don't quit your day job.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Don't quit your day job.
    Ooooooooooooo, owwwwwwwww, gosh that really hurt. Can't take a bit of sarcasm can you? Besides, thanks to the powers that be in DC having sent the Civil Engineering field into the toilet; through no fault of my own I have suffered a 1/3 reduction in pay. As you can see, I can't really quit my day job. On the plus side, I am now helping to bring green house gases and global warming to a neighborhood near you. No thanks are necessary, I'm more than happy to do it.

Let's see, you are selling a crankset that without rings is 2/3rds +/- the weight of a Dura-Ace, Sram Red, FSA K-Force, Campy Record crank with rings for ??????????? more than double the price. Wow, there's a steal! I'll take two.

What would impress the hell out of me is if someone would come out with a reasonably (and by reasonably I mean $6-$700 range) alternative that was just as stiff. I don't do bling just for to do bling.

P.S Everybody knows Campy is overpriced.

RoadBikeReview Member

Um, did you ever ask me about pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Ooooooooooooo, owwwwwwwww, gosh that really hurt. Can't take a bit of sarcasm can you? Besides, thanks to the powers that be in DC having sent the Civil Engineering field into the toilet; through no fault of my own I have suffered a 1/3 reduction in pay. As you can see, I can't really quit my day job. On the plus side, I am now helping to bring green house gases and global warming to a neighborhood near you. No thanks are necessary, I'm more than happy to do it.

Let's see, you are selling a crankset that without rings is 2/3rds +/- the weight of a Dura-Ace, Sram Red, FSA K-Force, Campy Record crank with rings for ??????????? more than double the price. Wow, there's a steal! I'll take two.

What would impress the hell out of me is if someone would come out with a reasonably (and by reasonably I mean $6-$700 range) alternative that was just as stiff. I don't do bling just for to do bling.

P.S Everybody knows Campy is overpriced.
    $700... range... doable but I'm not here to sell these.

And thanks for your efforts on the environment.

email me if you ever want to chat bike parts.

And just for the record, your price comparison can be said of any bike part, be it wheels, a frame... even brakes.
    carbonLORD.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast