RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Groupset question

I recently ran across a great deal on a Lynskey Urbanskey frame that was too good to pass up, so I now have a bike build to do.

My preference is Ultegra (disc, cable shift) and don’t need the latest version - in fact, I'd be happy to save some money and use the last generation. Problem is, none of the web vendors either in the US (Jensen, Competitive, etc) or overseas (Chain Reaction, Ribble, etc) offer either the 6800 or 8000 groupsets in the configuration I want (compact crank, med cage to handle 11/32 cassette, hydro IS brakes).

Is this just a timing thing as Shimano transitions to the new Ultegra version? It seems to be the same story with either a SRAM Rival 22 or even a 105 build, i. e., not available as a complete groupset in the config I want.

Buying the components separately is an option but drives the cost up considerably. This is my first complete bike build, so perhaps I’m overlooking something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Couldn't find 6800, but found 5800 hydraulic disc, 50/34 crankset, 11-32T cassette groupo from Merlin:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...iABEgJWU_D_BwE

To be quite honest, I have bikes with both 5800 and 6800 and can't tell the difference in shifting quality. Shifting on both is sublime.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's an upgrade kit if you have a crank, they sell the full set with the crank too if you need that.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...e-upgrade-kit/
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like no one really has a complete Ultegra build kit, so the only choice is separate purchases.

I found a great price on a set of ST-R8020 shifters and calipers, including hoses and pads, from Bike24 in Germany. The only issue is that they're on backorder, so I have to wait a few weeks. I can get the derailleurs, crank and BB at a discount from a number of places, but think I'll wait a bit and see if there's a price drop as we get closer to Black Friday. I'm also going to ask my LBS if they can offer a discount on some of the components. I'm happy to pay15% or so over the online retailer prices to keep things local.

Again thanks to all for the replies.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRN View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like no one really has a complete Ultegra build kit, so the only choice is separate purchases.

I found a great price on a set of ST-R8020 shifters and calipers, including hoses and pads, from Bike24 in Germany. The only issue is that they're on backorder, so I have to wait a few weeks. I can get the derailleurs, crank and BB at a discount from a number of places, but think I'll wait a bit and see if there's a price drop as we get closer to Black Friday. I'm also going to ask my LBS if they can offer a discount on some of the components. I'm happy to pay15% or so over the online retailer prices to keep things local.

Do you have any idea how hard it is for LBS to make any margin at all on Shimano parts because everyone buys online from overseas? I'd be willing to bet that what you're paying is less than what my shop pays at US wholesale.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member

What's wrong with this set? All you need to get is a cassette - looks to me like it does everything you wanted. Did you look at the link I posted earlier?

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...less-cassette/

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    What's wrong with this set? All you need to get is a cassette - looks to me like it does everything you wanted. Did you look at the link I posted earlier?

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...less-cassette/
    Thanks - I did check via the earlier and thought I saw that it was an upgrade only kit and did not offer a complete groupset. I must not have poked around enough on the site and didn't see the combination that your link above shows. Thanks again.
    Last edited by CharlieRN; 5 Days Ago at 05:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Try excel sports custom component builder (https://www.excelsports.com/component-builder/)

This time of year, you may be able to get a better deal (and exactly the stuff you want) buying parts separately.

Last fall I built a bike frame up (ultegra hydraulic, mechanical shift). Almost everything was from a different place (performance, chain reaction, excel, etc.). With a combination of discount codes and clearance, I got free shipping and at least 20% off of every part - except wheels. They were from November.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Do you have any idea how hard it is for LBS to make any margin at all on Shimano parts because everyone buys online from overseas? I'd be willing to bet that what you're paying is less than what my shop pays at US wholesale.
    Yep. Shimano is already putting the local retailer in a squeeze by lowering what the shop is allowed to charge. The LBS makes very little profit on Shimano parts even when they charge the MSRP. There is no way they can match prices even with online stores in the USA, much less overseas ones. This almost makes me want to shun Shimano products except that it's hard because they make a damn good product.

I never haggle my LBS on parts. They offer me discounts because I'm a frequent customer, but I always tell them "charge me whatever you think is fair" because I know they're not trying to take advantage of me.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This isn't exactly a new state of affairs. The distributor system has always put retailers at a disadvantage for price, which is why I bought most parts and groupsets from paper catalogs starting back in the '80s. And I'm sure it was happening long before that.

That really isn't a way for an LBS to make a profit. Repair parts, service and complete bikes are where bike shops make money. (And from people who don't care about price.) As long as the major bike brands remain LBS only, there will be LBSs. (And going direct has mostly damaged bike companies that have gone that way.)
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks - I did check via the earlier and thought I saw that it was an upgrade only kit and did not offer a complete groupset. I must not have poked around enough on the site and didn't see the combination that your link above shows. Thanks again.
    Glad it helped, there are other options out there too I'm sure, this just happened to be the first one I hit gold on, and I know from experience they are a good vendor.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett