RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Handlebar Torque Sequence

What is the correct bolting (torque) sequence for a four-bolt handlebar to stem? Is it manufacture specific?

Thanks!

Dave

Rub it............
    The procedure I use is a criss-cross pattern with small incremental turns - 1/4 turn each after initial contact when the handle bar isn't sloppy loose. Then torque to spec. of the stem manufacturer.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The procedure I use is a criss-cross pattern with small incremental turns - 1/4 turn each after initial contact when the handle bar isn't sloppy loose. Then torque to spec. of the stem manufacturer.
    +1. Also a good idea to check the spacing between the top and bottom bolts on each side as you tighten to make sure the stem is clamping with roughly equal pressure around the bar.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Great advice from frdfandc. Make sure to use a torque wrench. You can pick up one from a number of makers. I got the PRO one for $100 last year and it comes with 1/4" drive bit and is a good compliment to my Snap-On wrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    agree with every thing said above. I have a couple of torque wrenches and do torque stems (having broken one in the past!).

I bought a Ritchey torque-key last year and while I can't remember the torque value without actually going to look at it, it's about right for both lightweight stems I have (Ritchey WCS and Syntace 99), and it's very easy to use. I just tighten gradually "by feel" criss-crossing 3-4 times and making sure everything is visually even. About then, one of the bolts will click the torque key, I go ahead and finish all four in the pattern.

that ain't chamois cream
    Like everything else you will pay too much for a torque wrench if it's marketed as bike-specific. Perfectly fine torque wrenches can be had at auto parts stores for much less. Just be sure to get the type that handles lower torque ranges, in the 0-50 lb-ft range, probably with a dia-typel indicator (a little bar that deflects as you tighten the bolt) Not the bigger "click" type that is optimized for >40 lb-ft, which is a lot less useful. If it has an indicator in Nm, all the better.
    One Less Fixie.