RoadBikeReview Member

head broke off cable bolt front derailleur

I think it is called an anchor bolt.

I rarely have to switch out of the big ring (no climbs local)....anyway I went out to jump on the bike for a ride today and noticed the front derailleur bolt that holds the cable had broken off clean. Odd, since I never really use the small ring and did not bump it.

Glad it happened at home than on a ride, I noticed it when I went to lube the chain and when I spun the crank it popped off the chain.

So, how do I get the rest of the bolt out if the head fell off? Can I use a screw extractor (was googling)?

I've never had this type of issue before and want to not ruin the ultegra front dérailleur! Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I think I drill a small pilot hole and then use a screw extractor set? will need to be so precise as the bolt is so small.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Time for a trip to either your LBS, or (better yet) your local machine shop. Machinists usually have clamps and vices that can stabilize most odd-shaped items, and drill presses that are worlds away in accuracy of most home shop tools.

A good machine shop would probably be able to bore a pilot hole and "easy-out" the bolt shaft. I don't think it would cost too much.
    Bill in Pasadena

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by superflylondon View Post
    I think it is called an anchor bolt.

I rarely have to switch out of the big ring (no climbs local)....anyway I went out to jump on the bike for a ride today and noticed the front derailleur bolt that holds the cable had broken off clean. Odd, since I never really use the small ring and did not bump it.

Glad it happened at home than on a ride, I noticed it when I went to lube the chain and when I spun the crank it popped off the chain.

So, how do I get the rest of the bolt out if the head fell off? Can I use a screw extractor (was googling)?

I've never had this type of issue before and want to not ruin the ultegra front dérailleur! Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I think I drill a small pilot hole and then use a screw extractor set? will need to be so precise as the bolt is so small.
    Remove the derailleur from the bike.
    Center punch, drill/bit, extractor, steady hand, and patience.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    As far as I know, almost all Shimano front derailleur cable pinch bolts thread into a steel nut loosely placed into a counterbore on the pull arm. If this is true on your derailleur as well, just push the bolt remains and the nut out. You may have to file off a burr or two where the bolt head used to be.
    Last edited by wim; 03-11-2013 at 05:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wim, thanks for posting that.

I had a better look today and cleaned out all the road junk (Canada winter beater bike Cervelo 2009 S1) and where the head broke off it was clean/flush with where the threads begin but mine does have the bolt on the back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    In this case give it a test on pushing it out, while it is still on the bike (punch and few light hammer taps). If this doesn't work take it off and place the part on a wrench socket (just larger than the nut but still supporting the surrounding metal) and tap it with a punch and hammer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone the bolt just popped out, just now have get a new nut/bolt. awesomeness.

The part was so caked in road grim, salt...etc was hard to tell it was just a bolt and not a threaded part inside the front derailluer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    now trying to find a replacement nut online...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try a LBS, shouldn't have a problem getting what you need.

And maybe you could wash and inspect the bike while searching for those parts.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    now trying to find a replacement nut online...
    It's just a standard metric steel nut. Bike store, Ace Hardware, or some such place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Inside the derailleur it is not really a standard nut. The whole where the nut would sit in is round, and inside it has grooves like a star where the nut would grab onto. I'll post a pic later tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As promised a pic of the hole the bolt sits in. Not a standard nut, I think i might just be able to get away with something that does not sit in the whole fully but just would bind up against the hole as I just need to pin the cable inplace. odd that I can't find a bolt nut combo online....grrr.

photo 20130318_203820_zps992fe0ac.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    and yes it is dirty...I'm in Canada and it is on my winter beater (2009 cervelo s1).

hle
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    and yes it is dirty...I'm in Canada and it is on my winter beater (2009 cervelo s1).
    I have the same problem... did you find a new one?

wyrd biđ ful ărćd
    Are you able to try remove the remaining bolt that is in the nut? Then you can just source for a bolt.

hle
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    Are you able to try remove the remaining bolt that is in the nut? Then you can just source for a bolt.
    I don't know how. I tried to drill it out... but no success.

hle
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hle View Post
    I don't know how. I tried to drill it out... but no success.
    Now I managed to drill it out. Just had to use a better drill put some oil on it and drill slowly. The bolt itself is standard. I have several spare ones. Just had to shorten it a little bit.