RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Headset bearing cap too tight on steerer tube

Starting a new bike build tonight I discovered that I am unable to slide the bearing cap (last piece before spacers and stem) down the carbon steerer tube. I've done this on 4 or 5 other builds/fork swaps and it's never required more than lots of finger/thumb pressure to move the cap. This one stops dead in its tracks when the tube hits the o-ring in the bearing cap.

Suggestions to make it slide easier? I think this steerer is on the big side - tho the builder was able to set the crown race so I know standard parts will fit.

Can you use lube for this? What kind given the carbon steerer?

CK says something about removing the o-ring... that will help during the build but not final install. I'll never get the darn fork off the bike again. Is there variance in the CK parts - I wouldn't think so tho I don't have another headset lying around to try... could whip one off another bike to check this out.

I can imagine sanding the fork for a while - even a slight reduction in diameter would help - but this seems wacky for a carbon steerer.

What do you more experienced wrenches do in this case? Is it common? I've not seen it in maybe 5 fork expereinces.

Radical
    Photographs would help. I can't quite visualize what you mean. On a standard set-up it's after the stem is mounted, the end-cap is tightened down just a bit. ot so much that it binds. Enough but no so much as to interfere with mobility of the stem and handlebars if the bike is tilted to the left or right - the bars still flop to the side.

If you release the end-cap by loosening it, and the stem - your fork is able to drop out. This is what I've observed in working on threadless 1 1/8" systems.

Every little counts...
    The o-ring in the bearing cap won't go over the steer tube?

Sand the edge of the steer tube a bit to get it started, and put a bit of grease on the o-ring.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I just had the same issue with an Edge fork and CC S-8 headset cone. Lightly grease the o-ring. Then, using your fingers to to keep the o-ring recessed into its slot and keeping the cone at a slight offset, start working the cap onto the fork.

The first time I did this I didn't think it would ever go on, then after the third or fourth time it slide on fairly easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Yup, exactly - the o-ring won't go over the steerer tube. Will sand and lube as you suggest.

Thanks for the tip.

duh...
    the ck is notoriously tight

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Interestingly the fork in question I'm working on is also an Edge fork... Coincidence or are those boys are pushin' the specs on 1 1/8 as hard as they can?

AlphaQ, Reynolds, and an OEM fork or two have never been issues...

Every little counts...
    Pushing the specs...or out of spec?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by nwfanatic
    Interestingly the fork in question I'm working on is also an Edge fork... Coincidence or are those boys are pushin' the specs on 1 1/8 as hard as they can?

AlphaQ, Reynolds, and an OEM fork or two have never been issues...
    Once I applied the grease and worked the cone on, it was a tight fit, but not overly. When you think about its purpose, tight isn't a bad thing. IMO, try just grease before sanding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

thx gang; I'll give grease a go...

Appreciate the suggestions.

will give grease a shot