Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    Heart Rate Monitor - Strap Replacement Costs

    I have an old Polar XT with wireless front fork and encoded strap. Battery in watch is dead as is the strap (I presume). I either need to repair or replace it.

    Polar wants $40 (or so) to replace strap/battery and another $10 for the watch to not invalidate the water resistant feature. That seems really high compared to just purchasing a new unit. (The Polar Beat is only $30 at performance)

    Is there a better option or brand to choose. Sports Instruments is one other brand that I've seen mentioned here. The Sports Instruments SI-90 is only $50 at Nashbar. I actually prefer having the heart rate unit separate so that I can use it on the treadmill in the gym and the SI FIT 2 is $80 at trisports.com.

    So, any other problems with polar straps and/or issues with brands like Sports Instruments? Or other recommendations?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467
    Why do you say that the sending unit is dead ? I believe that they are made to be used an hour a day for quite a few years. I'm still using the original sending unit from my X-trainer plus that is over 5 years old. The "watch" batteries last about a year. I replace those myself, but don't advise it for normal mortals.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    Changing Watch Battery

    Thanks Grumpy - I'll check the watch battery and re-check the strap. Bad assumption on my part perhaps. Thanks for the nudge.

    Now - why not mere mortals to change the watch battery? I have tools - table saw, etc. Seriously, what are your suggestions on how to change it (or just to go to local watch shop)?

  4. #4
    Squirrel Hunter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,893

    Watch Battery

    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    The "watch" batteries last about a year. I replace those myself, but don't advise it for normal mortals.
    Same experience here, once a year for the watch. If you are uncomfortable replacing your watch battery then go to a jeweler. Not one of the mall places with college dropouts wearing a tie. Find a real jeweler who works in an old family jewelry store where they actaully repair watches rather than throwing them away. Ask him to replace the battery and to visually inspect the seals. It's not like Polar is going to warranty your watch after all this time.

    After that then you can determine if your strap is really dead. My bet is a new watch battery will have you up and running again.

    You might also look here. They revived a dead unit for me.
    http://www.sarkproducts.com

  5. #5
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    61,135
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson
    Thanks Grumpy - I'll check the watch battery and re-check the strap. Bad assumption on my part perhaps. Thanks for the nudge.

    Now - why not mere mortals to change the watch battery? I have tools - table saw, etc. Seriously, what are your suggestions on how to change it (or just to go to local watch shop)?
    It's not hard to do, but just don't assume it's waterproof unless you get it changed at a dive shop where they can pressure test the seals. I found out the hard way that salt water and a Polar Coach don't mix.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    cracked crystal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    It's not hard to do, but just don't assume it's waterproof unless you get it changed at a dive shop where they can pressure test the seals. I found out the hard way that salt water and a Polar Coach don't mix.
    I'm not going to ever assume that this one is waterproof. I dropped it on a tile floor and the crystal has a crack in the corner. Continued to work fine, but I'll never swim with it I may sweat a lot though).

    I'll test the battery and report back on results.

  7. #7
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,467
    It's not as easy as a normal watch. After you remove the 4 tiny screws, you have to pry off the battery hold down. this is where some people have big problems. There is a very tiny little spring that is very easy to knock out. If you loose it, you're SOL. . If you lift the receiver innards up just a little, the buttons on the side of the unit might fall into the watch. If that happens, you're SOL. If you open the watch yourself, Polar will never touch it again. It's worth the $10 to have them replace the battery. When you send it in, they also inspect the chest strap to see if it's working correctly. You can always tell them to call you if anything is wrong besides a dead battery.
    Ps. If you loose any on the tiny tiny screws, you're SOL.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    Mr Grumpy Is!

    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    It's not as easy as a normal watch. ... If you loose it, you're SOL. . If you lift the receiver ... , you're SOL. If you open the watch yourself, Polar will never touch it again. ....
    Ps. If you loose any on the tiny tiny screws, you're SOL .
    Well I was wondering why you called yourself Mr. Grumpy. Guess I got my answer.

    However, you make some really great points. Assuming that all I have is a dead watch battery, I could be back in business and checked out for $10. Sounds like a great plan.

    Thanks Grumpy-man.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    337

    go to your gym

    Quote Originally Posted by gibson
    Well I was wondering why you called yourself Mr. Grumpy. Guess I got my answer.

    However, you make some really great points. Assuming that all I have is a dead watch battery, I could be back in business and checked out for $10. Sounds like a great plan.

    Thanks Grumpy-man.
    Many quality gym treadmills now have a sensor that will detect your heartrate if you wear a strap. You may be able to test out whether the strap's battery is working. If the treadmill you use at your gym has this feature, you could go with the Sports Instruments integrated model, and just wear your strap at the gym.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    Thumbs up UPDATE: Good advice from this forum

    Thanks to those who have responded to my questions on this forum and challenged my assumption that just because by watch was dead, I should pitch my system.

    For under $4, I picked up a new battery at Radio Shack, carefully popped it into the watch and got a heart rate from my strap!!

    One of my other issues was that I didn't want to have my speed sensor on my fork and that I didn't have very reliable data transmission with this unit even when new.

    Another forum (http://www.cyclingforums.com/arch/topic/178142-1.html) gave a link to an old polar page showing how to increase the output of the speed sensor (http://www.polarusa.com/service_repa..._med.asp?ID=26). Per some discussion on this and other forums, I may be able to mount the speed sensor on the seat stays (which would help with loggin trainer miles) or at least improve data transmission when installed on the front fork.

    Best regards to all on this forum for your opinions and advice.

Similar Threads

  1. Max heart rate
    By Mel Erickson in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM
  2. Base.... revisited.... (a tad long)
    By funknuggets in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 09:35 AM
  3. heart rate question
    By gsxrawd in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 02:53 PM
  4. New to this heart rate fad...LONG (sorry!)
    By crestlinefarm in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:32 AM
  5. Power, heart rate, and Morris (longish)...
    By wyomingclimber in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook