RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Help! Blocked shifting holes

I recently acquired a Wilier Cento1 SR frameset from a mate who had been using Di2 for a couple of years.

Me being a bit old school, I tried to install mechanical Dura Ace but could not thread the front shifting cable through the hole in the bottom bracket. I tried to pry inside with the tip of the cable and it would bring out dirt. After 20 minutes, this didn't really improve.

The original owner told me he had never paid any attention to that hole so he wasn't much help (still thankful he gave me a great deal on this).

Anybody has a good solution to this?

SHould I go find a really long nail and keep drilling away?

Should I drip some WD40/lube/acetone/vinegar/alcohol/beer and wait overnight?

Thanks a lot in advance. I know this forum is super resourceful, so fingers crossed.

Neophyte
    Any chance of posting a picture?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would try water, compressed air and an old shifter cable to get it cleaned out. Didn't the old Di2 cable go through the same area? You might need a cable guide down there it if doesn't have one now, it might not have been installed on a Di2 set up.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Help! Blocked shifting holes-img_20180807_104923.jpgHelp! Blocked shifting holes-img_20180807_104845.jpg

Nothing special on the outside though. Di2 goes through a bigger hole on a taller part of the seat tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Beer? In case that was't a joke; no. What's left over when the water and alcohol evaporates will be sticky. Anyone who's ever walked on a Fraternity basement floor could tell you that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with Srode about the compressed air and an old cable. If you don't have access to a compressor maybe some of that canned air with an extension tube that can get into the hole.

But looking at the photo I see an allen screw, can the cable guide plate be removed giving you easier access to things?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post

But looking at the photo I see an allen screw, can the cable guide plate be removed giving you easier access to things?
    Most certainly looks like it. I don't know why else there would be a screw and plate as opposed to just holes.

Neophyte
    I'd definitely take the guide piece off, you'll find it easier to work with. Then... Patience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I agree with Srode about the compressed air and an old cable. If you don't have access to a compressor maybe some of that canned air with an extension tube that can get into the hole.

I had taken this piece off but it's no different than the other side, just a little hole in the carbon. I tried to pry w/ a cable which did not do much.

Just ordered this so we will see if this will work. Name:  2_110_106259_800_600.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  17.3 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I had a similar problem with a mail order carbon frame. I used a pin vise and a small diameter drill bit and pulled out a long piece of glue/resin/ ?? blocking the cable path. No problems after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    I had a similar problem with a mail order carbon frame. I used a pin vise and a small diameter drill bit and pulled out a long piece of glue/resin/ ?? blocking the cable path. No problems after that.
    This is probably the best idea presented.
    Too old to ride plastic