Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014

help with bottom bracket: vintage mundo caloi racer

help with bottom bracket: vintage mundo caloi racer-imag1065.jpg

What modern bottom bracket do I need to replace this? I cannot find the info on google... It is a mundo caloi racer, early '70's ... Even if I get the old one off, I will not know what the threading is by looking... Any helpout there? I'd like to go cheap for a single speed/fixed... Do I even need to replace it? Will modern cranks fit right on ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    No idea what that is except it's like nothing I've ever seen before.

You'll need to remove it. And it would help to know the DS threading.

With a metric rule, measure the width of the frame itself between those 2 flanges. If it is 70mm then Italian. If 68mm then English.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member

If its either English or Italian, you will be fine. If its French, oh boy.
    But it will be a fun ride.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackMonkey View Post
    What modern bottom bracket do I need to replace this? I cannot find the info on google... It is a mundo caloi racer, early '70's ... Even if I get the old one off, I will not know what the threading is by looking... Any helpout there? I'd like to go cheap for a single speed/fixed... Do I even need to replace it? Will modern cranks fit right on ?
    I'm guessing that is a cottered crank axle. Your picture is fuzzy and you don't show the side of the axle that probably has a notch in it.

Regardless it is about figuring out the threading of the BB cups. Quite possibly Italian (36 mm diameter, 24 threads per inch. It might be marked 36x24). Otherwise English threading is 1.37 inches diameter and 24 threads per inch). Italian is right hand threaded on both sides. English is right hand thread on the left, left hand thread on the right. You should have no problem getting the adjustable cup off with a simple lock ring spanner. The fixed cup might be a bigger challenge assuming you don't have the proper tool.

A good bike shop can get that thing out and tell you what the threading is. Whether any of this is worth your time is another question. Only very cheap bikes have come with cottered cranks since the 1950s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Ok so it was Italian... Got the lockring off but the cup, threaded to the frame is stuck... Will try wd40 and I ordered a 12" adjustible from amazon... Will probably need a pipe on the handle for enough torque... I am also doing a pugeot u08 - that has French bb. Also the cup is stuck threaded to the frame on that one too. So I got a shimano ub55 bb for the caloi racer and an orange velo cru French for the pugeot, both 113 mm. Then I got two retro spec cranks... These are my first bike projects.... One is going to be fixed (flip flop) and the other ss for the woman....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    help with bottom bracket: vintage mundo caloi racer-imag1063.jpg

The two difficult, quickly becoming expensive project bikes.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008

The two expensive project bikes.
    If this is as far as you have gone and you stick with cycling, you havent seen anything yet.

The wife was pissed I just spent 600.00 on shoes.
    450.00 bike shoes. (Important)
    150.00 work boots. (Less important)

Its a good problem to have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Ok so it was Italian... Got the lockring off but the cup, threaded to the frame is stuck... Will try wd40 and I ordered a 12" adjustible from amazon... Will probably need a pipe on the handle for enough torque... I am also doing a pugeot u08 - that has French bb. Also the cup is stuck threaded to the frame on that one too. So I got a shimano ub55 bb for the caloi racer and an orange velo cru French for the pugeot, both 113 mm. Then I got two retro spec cranks... These are my first bike projects.... One is going to be fixed (flip flop) and the other ss for the woman....
    I've been there trying to get fixed cup off. Forget using a wrench. Put the cup flats in a bench vise, as tight as possible, then rotate the frame. The best stuff to loosen old rusted threads/nuts is Kano Kroil. Give it multiple applications from both sides over a day or two before removal. You've got one shot to do it. Once the flats are buggered and rounded, it will take more creative efforts to remove. Or you may just be stuck with using it as is with a loose bearing square drive axle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Oh I know it... My primary bike is a serotta Atlanta with old105 components... I want to put new 105 or ultegra on there... It's like $1000 . Ugh.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Oh I know it... My primary bike is a serotta Atlanta with old105 components... I want to put new 105 or ultegra on there... It's like $1000 . Ugh.
    Good, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The two difficult, quickly becoming expensive project bikes.
    You often see advice on this forum (from people like me) that these kinds of projects are black holes for money and don't result in much better than a kludge on the other side. You're starting with a pretty low quality bike and planning to put a fair sum into it. I just don't get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Both bikes combined will cost $ 300... Not overly expensive for two bikes... Also I'm doing this as a favor for some older relatives who didn't want to see them trashed ... There is that $100 fixed gear at Walmart and Target now... Pretty tough to beat that price on a rebuild

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks... I'll give it a shot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    You often see advice on this forum (from people like me) that these kinds of projects are black holes for money and don't result in much better than a kludge on the other side. You're starting with a pretty low quality bike and planning to put a fair sum into it. I just don't get it.
    True, from a financial standpoint it is difficult to justify rebuilding an old bike. But He is probably having fun doing it. That's worth a lot there. . I never understood why so many folks spent so much money fiixing up mid 60s Mustangs. In my mind they were cheap junk when they were brand new. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Kroil, a couple of very gentle taps on the cup with a hammer and some heat from a heat gun might do it. The key word is gentle.

RoadBikeReview Member

Just remember, Italian bb fixed side is reversed.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Just remember, Italian bb fixed side is reversed.
    Bill
    And to further clarify, by "reversed" you mean a normal right-hand thread, so you turn counter-clockwise to remove.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    In case you guys are interested, I risked it and used the 12" adjustable... I put the wrench on the square part of the bb fixed cup, stood on the wrench/bb to hold it, and whacked the end of the wrench with a claw hammer... Of course I first did the French the wrong direction... French was counter clockwise. The Italian (i hope since that's what I ordered to replace) was clockwise to take off on the right/drive side. I re measured and it looked like 65 mm bottom bracket?... I need calipers... I was measuring with an app ruler on my phone. Anyway, victory is mine... Until I discover I possibly ordered the wrong parts haha

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    The Italian (i hope since that's what I ordered to replace) was clockwise to take off on the right/drive side.
    If that's true, it wasn't Italian. Said already above, but again: Italian bottom brackets are right-hand thread on both sides. On clockwise; off counter-clockwise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    had to smile at this

I was measuring with an app ruler on my phone.
    So you can measure to 1mm or better with a phone? How does that work? (or not).

And after reading this I'm thoroughly confused as to whether or not OP has an English or Italian BB.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah... I'm confused also... I may be remembering incorrectly regarding the threading... As for the measurements, I used the swiss army knife app, which has a ruler built in... And I measured one day (took my time) and then measured again recently and came up with very different results.... I'm doing all this posting on a phone... I'm 100% sure the puegeot was counter clockwise to undo on the right side. The caloi I can't remember now... Must have been counter clockwise and I just mis posted. Either way ill find out when my BB's arrive in the mail .. worst comes to worst ill have to mail them back and exchange.. I was really tired after I did it because of the difficulty and late hour...
    Last edited by AttackMonkey; 02-25-2014 at 08:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    check this one at bottom of page
    Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Ok I just double checked with a tape measure... The caloi is definitely 70mm and clockwise to remove the right side/fixed bb cup. The puegeot is 68 mm and counter clockwise to remove the right side fixed bb cup... I compared them next to each other and could easily see the difference... So now I'm at a loss ... I thought the only 70mm out there were Italian and that's that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok I just double checked with a tape measure... The caloi is definitely 70mm and clockwise to remove the right side/fixed bb cup. The puegeot is 68 mm and counter clockwise to remove the right side fixed bb cup... I compared them next to each other and could easily see the difference... So now I'm at a loss ... I thought the only 70mm out there were Italian and that's that.
    Have you got them mixed up, or is it just the way you wrote it?

68mm = English = reverse thread on DS = clockwise to remove.

and the opposite for 70mm.

One.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast