RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Help with DI2 disc groupset removal and setup on new frameset

All -

Wondering if some of you could give me some advice on a project I have going. I'm really new to disc brakes -- I have a new bike that I'm tearing down and moving the DI2 9170 groupset to a Domane frameset.

This has always been an easy process in the past, but now that I have internal cable routing and disc to deal with, I'm hoping I can get some advice to help things go smoothly.

#1 question right now: Since the disc brake cables are internally routed, what is the proper process to disconnect the hydraulic cables?

Any other advice anyone has of issues you may foresee with this grouppo swap that someone new to DI2 and Disc might not catch on to would be super appreciated!

Forever a Student

Here's a youtube video.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R9150-05-ENG.pdf

Here's some written instructions.
    use a torque wrench

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngiachin View Post
    All -

Wondering if some of you could give me some advice on a project I have going. I'm really new to disc brakes -- I have a new bike that I'm tearing down and moving the DI2 9170 groupset to a Domane frameset.

This has always been an easy process in the past, but now that I have internal cable routing and disc to deal with, I'm hoping I can get some advice to help things go smoothly.

#1 question right now: Since the disc brake cables are internally routed, what is the proper process to disconnect the hydraulic cables?

Any other advice anyone has of issues you may foresee with this grouppo swap that someone new to DI2 and Disc might not catch on to would be super appreciated!
    No such thing as 'hydraulic cables' but...
    You'll undo the hose at the shifter. You'll have to cut just the end off to get ride of the barb/olive. I'd plug the hose w/ something just to minimize the mess, but you'll have to bleed it anyway I'm betting.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No such thing as 'hydraulic cables' but...
    You'll undo the hose at the shifter. You'll have to cut just the end off to get ride of the barb/olive. I'd plug the hose w/ something just to minimize the mess, but you'll have to bleed it anyway I'm betting.
    he's gonna have to bleed it, how else is he gonna get the hydro disc hose installed internally in the madone?

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    he's gonna have to bleed it, how else is he gonna get the hydro disc hose installed internally in the Domane?
    I bleed all of them, but I've done a few that didn't actually need it. Ran fluid through them and no air. You can plug hyrdaulic brake line and if you're super careful you won't lose any fluid/get air in the system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I bleed all of them, but I've done a few that didn't actually need it. Ran fluid through them and no air. You can plug hyrdaulic brake line and if you're super careful you won't lose any fluid/get air in the system.
    ah me eyes had fooled me! but I blame trek.
    Hmm: madone, domane, emonda. All have similar letters. What will the next model name that the Scramble expert at trek HQ will think of next?

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    ah me eyes had fooled me! but I blame trek.
    Hmm: madone, domane, emonda. All have similar letters. What will the next model name that the Scramble expert at trek HQ will think of next?
    Amdone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Mandoe