Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Help installing Continental Grand Prix 4000

I can't seem to get these tires to fit on my wheel, Bontrager Race Lite.
    Is there some magic to this?

Climbin' Clyde

Warm them up?

I've heard people having problems mounting their tires, saying some brands or models are made smaller than others... I dunno. Once in a while I'll have a tight fit and use my standard solution: put the tire in the sun until it warms up, expands a bit and becomes more pliable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I mounted Conti 4000s tires on Bontrager Race X Lite wheels - I had to use a tire lever to get the tire on the rim. While that ultimately worked, I ripped two Maxxis Flyweight tubes before I finally got the tires on the wheels.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never had a problem getting Conti GP4000, GP400S, or Attack/Force tires on my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels...and yet I once watched in morbid fascination as 5 different cyclists spent a total of 40 minutes trying to get a single GP3000 on to a Campy Euros wheel.

I'm not sure what we can learn from this anecdote, but there it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross
    I've never had a problem getting Conti GP4000, GP400S, or Attack/Force tires on my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels...and yet I once watched in morbid fascination as 5 different cyclists spent a total of 40 minutes trying to get a single GP3000 on to a Campy Euros wheel.

I'm not sure what we can learn from this anecdote, but there it is.
    Not really anecdotal. Campy rims are notorious for tough tire mounting.

Our shop just had a devil of a time getting a Conti on an old Ambrosio clincher rim.

Finally, somebody I know suggested throwing the tire in the clothes dryer for a couple of minutes. Although, in case of a flat, a clothes dryer would really slow you down on the climbs. And you'd need a really long extension cord.

Old Skool

Use lots of talc

My standard solution when confronted with tight tires is to use lots of talc as a lub to make installation easier.

While there appears to be some contorversy on the board regarding talcing tubes, I always talc the inside of the tire and the tube before instalation. IMHO this just helps everything seat easier and keeps the tube from sticking to the inside of the tire. For tires that are a tight fit, I talc the outside and bottom of the bead area. This just makes the tire slippier, so it installs easier. Using this technique I have never had to resort to tire levers to install a tire.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    This is what you need http://www.crankbrothers.com/speedlever.php. This is one of my favorite tools. It makes mounting tires a sinch even onCampy rims. It only costs a few bucks. I have two - one I carry in my underseat bag, the other lives in my tool box.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by cldriver
    I can't seem to get these tires to fit on my wheel, Bontrager Race Lite.
    Is there some magic to this?
    butch up and jam that sucker on there.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The trick to mounting tight to fit tires is not to get too greedy in trying to force in too much of the tire at once. If you only go for an inch at a time eventually the tire will mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The trick to mounting tight to fit tires is not to get too greedy in trying to force in too much of the tire at once. If you only go for an inch at a time eventually the tire will mount.
    Believe me I tried, but the last 6 inches are nearly impossible. I was able to re-mount the Bontragre Race-x Lite tires without a problem, so its definitely an issue with the Conti's. Searching forums, it sounds like I'm not the only one with problems mounting these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't ***** slap me for asking, but are you sure they are 700c?

Rollin' Stones
    I had a real problem with Conti's 3K's on my Rolf's. I switched to Michellin and haven't had a prob ever again.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chay N. Whip
    ha ha ha have you even seen a 700c and a 650c together? The difference is huge!! You'd have to be severely braindamaged and blind to try and mount a 650 on a 700 rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've always had problems with Continental tires that are wire bead. Never with folding, ever.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Do you remember indian burns? I use a similar motion to that to get my GP3000's on. It makes it very easy and my fingers don't end up looking like Bocephus Jones II's.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by ts103706
    Do you remember indian burns? I use a similar motion to that to get my GP3000's on. It makes it very easy and my fingers don't end up looking like Bocephus Jones II's.
    not my fingers in that pic, but I have had that happen before trying to mount certain brands of wire bead tires. ouch!
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chay N. Whip
    Yes, it says 700x23 on the sidewall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    campy rims here and contie tires...
    some are just a b!tc#.

+1 on the indian burn, roll it

had one set of hutchinsons that couldn't get on my velocity deep v rims
    just took it to my shop after making my hands raw. took them a few and knowing me they raised an eyebrow when i brough in a tire to be mounted

i've snapped my share of levers with tough tires as well...

recommend getting the metal core, plastic shell SOMA lever. They rock! now if i could only find it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    A little soapy water on the edge of the tire will help too.

Oh hai there
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    This is what you need http://www.crankbrothers.com/speedlever.php. This is one of my favorite tools. It makes mounting tires a sinch even onCampy rims. It only costs a few bucks. I have two - one I carry in my underseat bag, the other lives in my tool box.
    I used mine to put some GP4000's on my new Campy Scirrocos last night while watching TV, I had them both done in a commercial break each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Thanks for the tips everyone, this tool though did the trick. Think I'll pick up an extra one since people have said it breaks easy though.

RoadBikeReview Member

Mr. V's Lever

I have used the Speedlever for quite a while but only in the privacy of my own garage with the doors closed. I was sure my discovery of this slick devide, in spite of coming from a great manufacturer, would be viewed as too Fred and unacceptable. Now I know it is a tool of class as it has the Seal of Good Use by Mr. V.

I am out of the closet and the Speedlever goes in the saddle bag !!
    Stay Well and LiveSTRONG

(not a real racer)
    I'm going from wire Specialized Armadillos to Conti GP4000s. Nothing can be harder to mount than those damn Armadillos, sheesh!!

Hoping I'm gonna like the GP4000s. The guy at the LBS said "yeah you'll dig 'em if you're coming from the Specialized tires."

BIGchainRING
    There might be some credibility to the difficulty of mounting GP4000s as in the past I pinchflatted two tubes trying to get a new set of tires on my CXP33 rims. Now though I just take it slow and make sure to put the tire on 1/2 at a time. When slipping in the other bead be sure to push the 1st bead toward the center of the rim to give maximum play to the 2nd bead and then pop the last few inches in with a tire lever. Speedlevers are not really necessary if you take your time and remember that tubes with holes in them don't hold air. I just put new GP4000s on my new Mavic Ksyrium wheels and though it seemed kinda hard, I am sure after riding a few thousand miles it will be easier next time.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Warm rubber is always more pliable, as is a wet, soapy tire. If all else fails, put it in a sink of hot, soapy water to loosen it up.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast