Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    275

    Help me with picking a power meter...

    I upgraded my bike from an older Roubaix to a new one with disc brakes. On my my old bike, I had a power tap rear wheel hub power meter.

    Used it mostly for indoor training, I have a vortex smart trainer than I connect to trainer road and the power meter. While I thought I would use it outside, it was really not as much as indoors.

    Fast foward to the new bike. Which I didn't realize that I couldn't use my old powertap hub on! Damn.

    So now I need something that will control the resistance to the vortex. I think there is virtual power, which might be ok, but am thinking of a real power meter.

    If so, looking for an inexpensive model with as little work as possible. (which is why I loved the power tap solution). I have spd pedals, so a pedal meter is no go. Possible crank arm meter?

    I have read DC rainmakers blogs, evaluations, comparisions, etc, and now think I have analysis paralysis. So posting up here for suggestions on what worked for others. Thanks.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,022
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    I upgraded my bike from an older Roubaix to a new one with disc brakes. On my my old bike, I had a power tap rear wheel hub power meter.

    Used it mostly for indoor training, I have a vortex smart trainer than I connect to trainer road and the power meter. While I thought I would use it outside, it was really not as much as indoors.

    Fast foward to the new bike. Which I didn't realize that I couldn't use my old powertap hub on! Damn.

    So now I need something that will control the resistance to the vortex. I think there is virtual power, which might be ok, but am thinking of a real power meter.

    If so, looking for an inexpensive model with as little work as possible. (which is why I loved the power tap solution). I have spd pedals, so a pedal meter is no go. Possible crank arm meter?

    I have read DC rainmakers blogs, evaluations, comparisions, etc, and now think I have analysis paralysis. So posting up here for suggestions on what worked for others. Thanks.
    A PowerTap rear wheel is still one of the cheaper options for a power meter, and that will work indoors or out. On the other hand a PT wheel costs about as much as a wheel-on Smart trainer with power so that is an option if you dont ever need it outdoors. I dont know anyone that has one but the pioneer single side cranks meters are "inexpensive"

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wetworks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I dont know anyone that has one but the pioneer single side cranks meters are "inexpensive"
    I own them and think they are terrific. No problems with any of them since day 1.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,014
    I see used PT wheels all the time here for sale for around $350 to $400, that's hard to beat IMHO - they are very reliable. Stages or Pioneer single sided PMs are cost effective - they don't work well for me because of my power balance left vs right.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I see used PT wheels all the time here for sale for around $350 to $400, that's hard to beat IMHO - they are very reliable. Stages or Pioneer single sided PMs are cost effective - they don't work well for me because of my power balance left vs right.
    If you know what your power balance is, why wouldn't a single sided meter work for you? Unless your balance changes from ride to ride (which it doesn't) a single sided meter would work great.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    If you know what your power balance is, why wouldn't a single sided meter work for you? Unless your balance changes from ride to ride (which it doesn't) a single sided meter would work great.
    Yes it absolutely changes from ride to ride and can be significantly depending on how fatigued I am as well as changes with how hard I am pedaling, and throughout a ride depending on how hard/long I am riding. I've tried a single sided stages and found it just not helpful at all. I only use PMs that measure total power for that reason, extrapolations don't work well for me at all.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  7. #7
    Out riding.
    Reputation: 1500SLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    75
    One of the problems I see with a Powertap hub (other than the weight) is the issue if you have more than one set of wheels which makes a crank, crank arm, or pedal based solution more affordable. Crank arm options are getting quite cheap even for dual arm set up and I've seen a set of Garmin Vector pedals go for under $500 second hand. The only problem with Vector pedals is if you have some sort of other clip system than Keo, your shoes and cleats will have to be Keo compatible. The good news for you is that Keo and SPD-SL shoes are compatible you just need new cleats.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yes it absolutely changes from ride to ride and can be significantly depending on how fatigued I am as well as changes with how hard I am pedaling, and throughout a ride depending on how hard/long I am riding. I've tried a single sided stages and found it just not helpful at all. I only use PMs that measure total power for that reason, extrapolations don't work well for me at all.
    Interesting!

  9. #9
    Out riding.
    Reputation: 1500SLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    75
    Its pretty well known that a one sided power meter wont give you accurate readings due to the disparity in muscles in your leg and of course tiredness. Dual sided crank arm power meters are now affordable, as are pedals, and of course hub based options if you want one. If I had a choice I'd go with crank arm power meters. I've heard about Vector pedals randomly disconnecting for no apparent reason.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    I've heard about Vector pedals randomly disconnecting for no apparent reason.
    yeah, I was toying with the idea of getting the new Vector pedals but decided to wait a while due to some people having intermittent connectivity issues. Once they are more reliable I'll probably get a pair.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,084
    Too old to ride plastic

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    Its pretty well known that a one sided power meter wont give you accurate readings due to the disparity in muscles in your leg and of course tiredness. Dual sided crank arm power meters are now affordable, as are pedals, and of course hub based options if you want one. If I had a choice I'd go with crank arm power meters. I've heard about Vector pedals randomly disconnecting for no apparent reason.
    I know how they work. I've got a Stages on my gravel bike, Quarq on my cx bike, and a Wahoo trainer. I've used the FSA Powerbox and powertap hubs too. I'm about a 52/48 right/left split. Pretty much always right around a 52/48 split. If my reading on my gravel bike is 2% off, I'm ok with that, and I know that. My Stages may not be as accurate, but it's just as precise, and that matters more to me.

    I was surprised that your power balance would vary significantly from ride to ride.

  13. #13
    Out riding.
    Reputation: 1500SLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    75
    That's how your power varies and on average 2%-4% is fairly average. Overall power will vary from ride to ride. Of course it shouldn't in your legs by all that much unless you have an ongoing injury such as myself in that I have a bucket handle meniscus tear in one of my knees which can't be treated and invariably leads to one of my legs freezing completely and I've had that happen mid ride leading me to pedal home almost on one leg.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    That's how your power varies and on average 2%-4% is fairly average. Overall power will vary from ride to ride. Of course it shouldn't in your legs by all that much unless you have an ongoing injury such as myself in that I have a bucket handle meniscus tear in one of my knees which can't be treated and invariably leads to one of my legs freezing completely and I've had that happen mid ride leading me to pedal home almost on one leg.
    Ahh, that makes a ton of sense. For you, a single sided meter doesn't make any sense because of your injury.

Similar Threads

  1. To Power Meter or not to Power Meter...
    By OVRLOK in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 09:40 AM
  2. Power Pod Power Meter
    By PBL450 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
  3. Train with power meter = race with power meter?
    By obiwan kenobi in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
  4. Which Power Meter: Power Tap, SRM, or Ergomo?
    By Speedi Pig in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
  5. Polar power system vs Ibike power meter.
    By the_rydster in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.