RoadBikeReview Member

Help me select the correct bottom bracket & headset

I bought a used 2004 Wilier Pro Race Scandium frame on ebay, that I plan to build up and use as a crit bike. I'm not sure what the correct headset and bottom bracket would be. See attached images, hopefully this will be of help.

1. The underside of the bottom bracket is stamped:

M
    S W
    BT
    05 04

I'm guessing the 'M' refers to the size medium, the 'BT' would be British Thread and the '05 04' would be the manufacture date? Assuming it is British Thread, would a 2012 British Thread Campagnolo Athena bottom bracket work?

2. I don't have much info to help with the headset, the fork is marked Mizuno MM34 1-1/8". I'm assuming the 1-1/8" is the steerer column diameter, but I have no clue what kind of headset I will need. Can anybody help?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    When in doubt, get a caliper and meausre the bottom bracket. Unless Wilier made their own standards, pretty much any English BB will work, even the ones with the outboard cups from Campagnolo.

As far as the headset, the more "modern" oversized standard of 34mm or 1 1/8" threadless headsets, shoudl fit the bill nicely.

Those items are very easy to acquire and you should have plenty from which to choose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BernyMac View Post
    When in doubt, get a caliper and meausre the bottom bracket.
    I have calipers, what would I measure - the width or the diameter of the bottom bracket?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelPaul View Post
    I have calipers, what would I measure - the width or the diameter of the bottom bracket?
    Width-English/BSA would be 68mm, Italian 70mm.