Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    So they are serving no purpose?
    I have to say while I agree with most of your posts, Kerry, I don't agree with you here. They serve plenty of purpose as if the pressure is low enough, the collars keep the valve from sinking into the tire when putting the pump chuck on. If my bike is going to be inside my car for any length of time on a hot day, I will let some air out. The collars also make it easier for that initial pump up after changing a tube.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I have to say while I agree with most of your posts, Kerry, I don't agree with you here. They serve plenty of purpose as if the pressure is low enough, the collars keep the valve from sinking into the tire when putting the pump chuck on. If my bike is going to be inside my car for any length of time on a hot day, I will let some air out. The collars also make it easier for that initial pump up after changing a tube.
    I just press the tire to the rim at the valve with the thumb of the hand holding the wheel and press the chuck onto the valve with the other. Never had an issue.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I just press the tire to the rim at the valve with the thumb of the hand holding the wheel and press the chuck onto the valve with the other. Never had an issue.
    Me too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    'valve nuts' are totally worthless.

always discard them and the silly little plastic caps that come with the tube.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

^This^ It's just something that rattles loose and you constantly re-tighten it til it pulls the valve out of the tube.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ^This^ It's just something that rattles loose and you constantly re-tighten it til it pulls the valve out of the tube.
    Maybe it's just because I'm older and my hearing isn't what it used to be, but I have yet to be able to hear a rattling valve collar while I'm riding, much less be annoyed by it.

Pull the valve out of the tube? Man, you must really be tightening the life out of that thing.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Maybe it's just because I'm older and my hearing isn't what it used to be, but I have yet to be able to hear a rattling valve collar while I'm riding, much less be annoyed by it.

Pull the valve out of the tube? Man, you must really be tightening the life out of that thing.
    I see it all the time...people tighten the **** outta those stupid things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see it all the time...people tighten the **** outta those stupid things.
    Yikes! That's pretty dumb. I just tighten it until it touches the rim and stop there. As the tire loses air, it will become tighter anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Don't buy them to begin with is a better solution.
    If tube makers were smart enough to just not thread the valve all the way to where it touches the pump head then everyone could be happy with the same tubes but until then I wouldn't even think of buying threaded valves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=Jay Strongbow;5233416]Don't buy them to begin with is a better solution. /QUOTE]

I switched to smooth stems a long time ago.

just bought a 6-pack on ebay and the seller shipped me threaded ones by mistake...only reason I'm dealing with nuts again.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Yikes! That's pretty dumb. I just tighten it until it touches the rim and stop there. As the tire loses air, it will become tighter anyway.
    You think it'll tighten itself rather than getting looser? Not likely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You think it'll tighten itself rather than getting looser? Not likely.
    Really? Try pumping a tire up to 50 PSI, screw the collar down just until it touches the rim. Then inflate the tire up to 100 PSI and see where the collar is sitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I think that's a myth. You can't pull the valve stem out of the tube by finger tightening the nut. To prove that, put a tube in and tighten the nut down, then inflate the tire. The nut will be loose. Defective tubes and excessive wiggling of the valve stem while pumping causes the valve stem joint to fail on the tube. Pumps with hoses or using proper technique helps this situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Really? Try pumping a tire up to 50 PSI, screw the collar down just until it touches the rim. Then inflate the tire up to 100 PSI and see where the collar is sitting.
    Are you saying that the nut will tighten up if you lose pressure and also if it increases pressure?

I agree with Oxtox, nuts and caps are useless. Once many moons ago I had a flat out on a ride and I could barely loosen the fricker-fracker nut by hand. I swore them off from that point on.

a real member's member
    'valve nuts' are totally worthless. I always discard them and the silly little plastic caps that come with the tube.
    not me. i've been keeping all mine to make a unique sculpture of some sort. it's gonna be huge!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Are you saying that the nut will tighten up if you lose pressure and also if it increases pressure?
    Oy! The nut will LOOSEN as you increase pressure and TIGHTEN as pressure decreases. I presume that is because as you increase pressure, that presses the tube and valve further up to the valve hole. Did you try what I said above?

Russian Troll Farmer

Umm...sometimes when I would really hammer up really steep hills, my rear tire would slip on the bead, and my valve stem would end up very crooked. On THAT bike, I'd always put the nuts on.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Umm...sometimes when I would really hammer up really steep hills, my rear tire would slip on the bead, and my valve stem would end up very crooked. On THAT bike, I'd always put the nuts on.
    Oh please...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Those with abundant horsepower, bead lock is a must.

Help Picking Tubes-rt232-bead-lock-break-down-assm-image-new-2-4-2016-1.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Oh please...
    No, that's why some people go with tubeless tire. It's independent of tire slippage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Slippage anywhere will cause loss of acceleration, that is why I run slicks, 25mm!
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12